Pelicans Report

Thread: Does it makes more sense to stretch Gordon with the cap increase?

Does it makes more sense to stretch Gordon with the cap increase?

The amount of money put towards the cap will be barely noticeable with the huge cap spike coming soon. It will allow us to bring in a big FA name while AD is still on his rookie deal.

1-6

No. With such a huge cap spike and his contract ending the summer of the spike it makes more sense to just take the hit next year and go into FA of 2016 with even more space.

Stretch is a nice asset, that should not be wasted on a competent player IMO. If we ever make a deal to dump salary a la Okafor/Ariza for Rashard Lewis deal, then we can stretch the guy coming in. Plus each team only gets one every few often

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2740 View Post
    Stretch is a nice asset, that should not be wasted on a competent player IMO. If we ever make a deal to dump salary a la Okafor/Ariza for Rashard Lewis deal, then we can stretch the guy coming in. Plus each team only gets one every few often
    You can stretch any player signed in the current CBA without limit.

Still, just pay the man or trade him. Stretch only if that is the only way ownership will do some killer deal.

No reason to stretch anyway. What over-the-top player will stretching him give the team access to?

Why wait this long them stretch him with a year to wait so he can haunt us for more years ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Why wait this long them stretch him with a year to wait so he can haunt us for more years ?

The argument might be that if you stretch him and another team signs him for a decent amount, you might only be on the hook for 4 mil in 16-17 and 17-18. That will be like 4% of the cap (or the equivalent of 2.5 mil right now)

That's less than what we were paying Salmons and Jimmer. Obviously, that doesn't kill you. If stretching Gordon can allow you to get a good player this summer, where you otherwise couldn't, would it be worth having a small amount of dead money on your cap?

For me, if it's the right player, then heck yes.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The argument might be that if you stretch him and another team signs him for a decent amount, you might only be on the hook for 4 mil in 16-17 and 17-18. That will be like 4% of the cap (or the equivalent of 2.5 mil right now)

That's less than what we were paying Salmons and Jimmer. Obviously, that doesn't kill you. If stretching Gordon can allow you to get a good player this summer, where you otherwise couldn't, would it be worth having a small amount of dead money on your cap?

For me, if it's the right player, then heck yes.
    The key is to look at loomis and what he has done with the saints. I don't think he is scared of dead money if it comes at the cost of getting a really good player.

Thread Information