Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Coach Cal is probably my favorite coach of all time. He's amazing. Would be great to have him with us.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The recent past is the best indicator. It is not the absolute predictor. If we knew what the future would hold, why play the games?

Avery's issue was not his record. It was his personality and how it wore on players and staff, at multiple stops. Maybe he can change, but I have seen no evidence of it. Meanwhile, Calipari has changed some tendencies. For an expanded essay on this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...caa-tournament
    Mac, I'm just pulling your chain. I'm not big on Avery either but I find it humorous that when we like a guy, we're willing to turn a blind eye whereas when we don't, past mistakes are unforgiveable. With that said, I'm not a fan of Calipari in the pro ranks.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Mac, I'm just pulling your chain. I'm not big on Avery either but I find it humorous that when we like a guy, we're willing to turn a blind eye whereas when we don't, past mistakes are unforgiveable. With that said, I'm not a fan of Calipari in the pro ranks.
    It's all good, I get it.

Like I said, I think there are some concerns to put out there about Cal. I just won't put his failures 15 years ago as one of those things. I think, for instance, pointing to the overall success rate of college coaches might be a better argument. Or his lack of offensive creativity.

I wouldn't hold 15 years ago against anybody. I wouldn't want people to judge my 34 year old self by my 19 year old self
    @mcnamara247

Maybe the rumor of "a guy who's coached here before" a week or 2 ago isn't Mike Malone at all but Cal, who won the Davis title in the Superdome.

I am in favor of retaining Monty but if not Coach Cal would be my first choice. You can criticize his X & 0's offensive scheme and lack of NBA success but it is hard to ignore his ability to manage players and games. I believe he maximizes and recognizes players strengths and abilities and gets his teams to play to their highest ability. I think this is the the preeminent quality required in a basketball coach in college AND the nba and I think Coach Cal excels and gets this.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

sign him and hope that he can once again recruit all his former players to sign here when free agents. This could be his master plan.

Banned
    His first run in the NBA wasn't very good.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Does anyone know the statistics of college coaches going pro?

I am curious because I only hear of the failures.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Does anyone know the statistics of college coaches going pro?

I am curious because I only hear of the failures.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ge-to-the-nba/

Didn't Calipari and Pitino coach in NBA before and it was a train wreck. Oh glad everyone forgot Tim Floyd

Banned
    Pitino ruined the Celtics trying to play Kentucky style basketball in the NBA.

I love him as a college coach, but not sure about the NBA. In college, a lot of his success has been because, through dominant recruiting, he has obtained such a higher level of talent than his opponents. He wins on talent rather than Xs and Os. There is not as much a disparity in talent in the NBA as there is in the NCAA. I would still be willing to give him a shot, but have concerns.

1. Talent
    2. X and O's

There are about 500 other things you need to be a great coach. It is not as simple as either of these things IMO.

Over and over, I have seen two very basic and simplistic arguments against Cal

A) He has so much talent, of course he is going to win
    B) He failed in the NBA 15 years ago

I personally believe both of these arguments are incredibly weak. I don't think Cal is the greatest option, but I really want to hear more detailed, nuanced arguments against him moving forward. I am kind of done hearing the two above, especially when they aren't really expanded on with any fact that leads me to believe he will be a bad NBA coach.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    All Calipari Pelicans lineup:
    Starters:
    Wall
    Evans
    MKG
    Davis
    Cousins

Bench:
    Bledsoe
    Knight
    T. Jones
    Randle
    Kanter

Just for kicks.

1. Talent
    2. X and O's

There are about 500 other things you need to be a great coach. It is not as simple as either of these things IMO.

I personally believe both of these arguments are incredibly weak. I don't think Cal is the greatest option, but I really want to hear more detailed, nuanced arguments against him moving forward. I am kind of done hearing the two above, especially when they aren't really expanded on with any fact that leads me to believe he will be a bad NBA coach.
    If anything his ability to handle so much star talent is a plus not a minus.

For all the Phil Jackson hype his triangle has done nothing without Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe. Jackson ability to get those guys (especially Shaq/Kobe) to work together was his biggest strength IMO. The current landscape of the NBA talent trumps X's and O's. The question is would coach Cal name alone move the needle for FA's. If so that impact alone far out weights any actual coaching flaws.

1. Talent
    2. X and O's

Reading this over, I realize this could be read as snobbish.

Not intended.

I just want a more nuanced convo, as opposed to the same simple points regurgitated over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    If anything his ability to handle so much star talent is a plus not a minus.

For all the Phil Jackson hype his triangle has done nothing without Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe. Jackson ability to get those guys (especially Shaq/Kobe) to work together was his biggest strength IMO. The current landscape of the NBA talent trumps X's and O's. The question is would coach Cal name alone move the needle for FA's. If so that impact alone far out weights any actual coaching flaws.
    Not to mention, he has zero continuity from year to year and still makes it work. That is impressive to me.

Starters:
    Wall
    Evans
    MKG
    Davis
    Cousins

Bench:
    Bledsoe
    Knight
    T. Jones
    Randle
    Kanter

Just for kicks.
    Make it happen Dell

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Make it happen Dell
    If Calipari is here, Dell won't be.

He will become the HC and President and find his own GM

If Calipari is here, Dell won't be.

He will become the HC and President and find his own GM
    No I meant the players. I was being sarcastic. I believe Monty should stay next season and prove everyone wrong.

Starters:
    Wall
    Evans
    MKG
    Davis
    Cousins

Bench:
    Bledsoe
    Knight
    T. Jones
    Randle
    Kanter

Just for kicks.
    Here lies the problem, He had players much more talented than other teams.

I actually think Monty is doing a much better job late in the season. Kill the mustache and be smarter about time outs and I have been ok with things for what he has to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Didn't Calipari and Pitino coach in NBA before and it was a train wreck. Oh glad everyone forgot Tim Floyd
    Thats right,

Who can forget the old adage>>>

"If you fall off the horse, do not get back on."

Or the ever popular......

"If at first you don't succeed, quit quit some more."

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    Here lies the problem, He had players much more talented than other teams.

I actually think Monty is doing a much better job late in the season. Kill the mustache and be smarter about time outs and I have been ok with things for what he has to work with.
    kill the stache and the bad suits

How much do you really think we will spend on a head coach though? The buyout alone from Kentucky is 3 million in the first year, 2 million in the second (depending if he decides to leave before June). Not to mention he's getting 8 million per year on his contract while Monty's only getting 2.75.

I think it's far more likely if he's going to come to the NBA with a pay cut he'll follow Kerr's lead and look at an organization which already has made the playoffs and only requires a bit of slight change of direction to have success right away. It's fun to dream, but with the injury luck we've had, what coach would really make that much of a difference?

I'd do it for the recruiting power he brings.

Thread Information