Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

Rumor Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...the-nba-again/

No idea if it's actually true or not but hey, probably a few teams will give him a call.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Come coach the best player he's ever had matriculate through his system, perhaps?

He has always been at or near the top of my personal list. My biggest question with him is if he would want full power.

I am assuming that, at the very least, he would like to hire his own GM like SVG did.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He has always been at or near the top of my personal list. My biggest question with him is if he would want full power.

I am assuming that, at the very least, he would like to hire his own GM like SVG did.
    I would like to at least hear that the Pels gave a poke to see if he was interested. No offense to Monty who I still have hope for but I would check up on some other coaches and perhaps another GM.

Also new poster here. Howdy.

If this has any legs I would hope we would kick the tires. We have talent, and we have added some depth, I don't see why we would not be one of the most attractive destinations this offseason.

Plus he would be paired with his best ever prodigy and Reke was with him at Memphis as well!

Bring him in, talk about a boost to season ticket sales!

Cal and Loomis have a great relationship, keep that in mind.

This is probably a bad idea unless he can somehow recruit guys and get us better free agents he is only an average coach and Williams is decent although it seems like Williams does better at coaching bad players than good players sometimes.

I'm afraid that he would force AD to play the C role like he did in college. If he allows AD to reach his potential at the 4 then I'm estaic, but is he really a good coach or better recruiter?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

I am on the fence about him coming here. Dude can sell ice to an eskimo, so naturally he is going to have the best players in the nation playing for him. If you can win with future All Stars, then you are a bad coach, him being able to win with loaded teams doesn't necessarily mean he will be a great coach either.

I wonder if there will be some violations coming out soon regarding Kentucky basketball.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If the team presses the reset button with a new coach and GM this offseason , Coach Cal would be a great pick in my opinion. He may be the only coach AD would approve of firing Monty for.

I wish people would stop saying things like AD has some kind of day so in hiring or firing a coach. They will not consult him nor should they. He's only in his 3rd year and still a kid. They are not going to ask for the kids blessing on making a coaching change,

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    I wish people would stop saying things like AD has some kind of day so in hiring or firing a coach. They will not consult him nor should they. He's only in his 3rd year and still a kid. They are not going to ask for the kids blessing on making a coaching change,
    They might not do that, but do you honestly think they will not consider whether X coach will get along with AD? I don't think AD will or should have a say, but he will be a part of ownership's decision making process

Him and Shaka Smart on the top of list
    Welcome to be here

Didn't we see the Calipari as a pro coach movie before? How did that work out?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    How was Pete Carroll in New England?

Yeah. Should have never given Belichek or Pete Carroll another chance I guess too.

I am glad people don't judge what I can do tomorrow based on what I couldn't do 15 years ago.

There might be good arguments against Calipari. This is not one of them.

Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

"But but but Saban! Spurrier and Pitino! Tim Floyyyyd!!!" -irate fan

(head explodes)
    Last edited by RhythmNathan; 03-26-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Yeah. Should have never given Belichek or Pete Carroll another chance I guess too.

I am glad people don't judge what I can do tomorrow based on what I couldn't do 15 years ago.

Yet I always see people bring up the past when talking about Avery. How do we choose who's past matters?

It's also ironic that you take this stance when you stand by history is the best predictor. Remember all those EG articles where you stated he'll always be hurt based on history? Now its don't judge me on the past. Which one is it?
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 03-26-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    The "kid" is the franchise, keeping him happy is important. Forcing agendas on star players don't work, especially on a small market team. If you want AD to be a career Pelican then his input should be considered when making sweeping decisions.

Better than Avery Johnson thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    Not according to record he isn't

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    To be fair if we are gonna ignore Coach K past we can give Avery a pass too right?

The Franchise    Contributor   

there are only four guys with no question marks, and Pop, Phil and Riles aren't coming here, and Red is dead.

Yet I always see people bring up the past when talking about Avery. How do we choose who's past matters?

It's also ironic that you take this stance when you stand by history is the best predictor. Remember all those EG articles where you stated he'll always be hurt based on history? Now its don't judge me on the past. Which one is it?
    The recent past is the best indicator. It is not the absolute predictor. If we knew what the future would hold, why play the games?

Avery's issue was not his record. It was his personality and how it wore on players and staff, at multiple stops. Maybe he can change, but I have seen no evidence of it. Meanwhile, Calipari has changed some tendencies. For an expanded essay on this:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...caa-tournament

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    Cal and Loomis have a great relationship, keep that in mind.
    Not doubting you at all, but how do you know this?

Thread Information