Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Fraunpetri View Post
    How much do you really think we will spend on a head coach though? The buyout alone from Kentucky is 3 million in the first year, 2 million in the second (depending if he decides to leave before June). Not to mention he's getting 8 million per year on his contract while Monty's only getting 2.75.

I think it's far more likely if he's going to come to the NBA with a pay cut he'll follow Kerr's lead and look at an organization which already has made the playoffs and only requires a bit of slight change of direction to have success right away. It's fun to dream, but with the injury luck we've had, what coach would really make that much of a difference?
    Benson bought the team for 300 mil and now it is worth close to a billion. If this team wants Cal, money better not get in the way.

Cal supposedly turned down 10 years, 80 million last year from the Cavs. I am thinking a 5 or 6 deal to line up with AD's extension. Probably for 40-50 million dollars if we want him.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Benson bought the team for 300 mil and now it is worth close to a billion. If this team wants Cal, money better not get in the way.

Cal supposedly turned down 10 years, 80 million last year from the Cavs. I am thinking a 5 or 6 deal to line up with AD's extension. Probably for 40-50 million dollars if we want him.
    But isn't this the same Benson that gave Dell an unofficial cap on spending in free agency this year? While I agree with you about how he should proceed, it's not how he's operated in the past. I hope they prove me wrong and try to make a splash if they want a change but I have a hunch he's thinking of a Sean Payton style deal for an up and comer instead of paying a giant contract to the big fish.

The Franchise    Contributor   

If this would happen I could talk myself in to being for it in about 3 seconds, but while we are at the Internet speculation stage-
    I just listened to Amin Elhassen talking about how this guy is a yeller and a 'me first' guy and doesn't think his routine would work on grown men for 82 games. That when pro players tell stories about their college coaches that it is often a 'he is like a father to me, I owe him everything and I love him - but thank god I'm never going to have to play for him again'
    I know we all learn and change and grow, but in reading that article MM posted above, it tells some great stories about how and why it didn't work before in the NBA for him, and it wasn't all his fault, and each section ends with a 'I'm sure he learned from that' type quote - but there was no 'he learned from that and here is an example of how he has changed, or something he does differently now'
    Amin went on to say Phil is not going to abandon the triangle and Cal is not going to change what works, and his style has worked, but it won't work in the NBA.
    I have no idea, I watch zero college basketball, maybe Cal's style has evolved. What say you guys that follow that sort of thing? The only time I see Cal is at the draft and he does seem to act like the proud father who is just a little too happy to be sharing in the player's spotlight. But if my job were to recruit high school players Id be trying to get that draft day spotlight too, not to stroke my ego but because I need that blue chip kid to see me on ESPN again

The fact is that the Head Coach is one piece. I think Cal will be great in the pros if he gets the right assistants. Average if he doesn't.

Kerr will get coach of the year, but Golden State's success has as much to do with that tremendous assistant coaching staff. The Head Coach gets all the credit or blame, but he is just one piece. The rest of the staff is just as important, especially for a guy transitioning to the NBA - whether it is from college or out of the booth.

Without knowing who his staff would be, I couldn't make an educated prediction on whether Calipari thrives. Same goes for his GM; I don't know who he would choose. Those things would all be as important as Cal himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    If this would happen I could talk myself in to being for it in about 3 seconds, but while we are at the Internet speculation stage-
    I just listened to Amin Elhassen talking about how this guy is a yeller and a 'me first' guy and doesn't think his routine would work on grown men for 82 games. That when pro players tell stories about their college coaches that it is often a 'he is like a father to me, I owe him everything and I love him - but thank god I'm never going to have to play for him again'
    I know we all learn and change and grow, but in reading that article MM posted above, it tells some great stories about how and why it didn't work before in the NBA for him, and it wasn't all his fault, and each section ends with a 'I'm sure he learned from that' type quote - but there was no 'he learned from that and here is an example of how he has changed, or something he does differently now'
    Amin went on to say Phil is not going to abandon the triangle and Cal is not going to change what works, and his style has worked, but it won't work in the NBA.
    I have no idea, I watch zero college basketball, maybe Cal's style has evolved. What say you guys that follow that sort of thing? The only time I see Cal is at the draft and he does seem to act like the proud father who is just a little too happy to be sharing in the player's spotlight. But if my job were to recruit high school players Id be trying to get that draft day spotlight too, not to stroke my ego but because I need that blue chip kid to see me on ESPN again
    I think coach Cal is smart enough and have a good enough relationship with the top NBA stars to understand that his college approach wouldn't work with grown men who's more valuable than he is to the franchise. I think that would be one of the easiest transitions for him to make. My biggest concern(really only) would be the X's and O's.

Coach Cal wanting to coach the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    When Calipari was head coach of Memphis, i was invited to a practice as an event to try and sell season tickets. He is indeed a yeller and is very active. He didn't sit still very often. He was the polar opposite of Monty.

With that said, the few Kentucky games i have watched he seems a little more pragmatic there on the sideline.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Let's just relish in the fact that Monty out-coached Georgle Karl

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The fact is that the Head Coach is one piece. I think Cal will be great in the pros if he gets the right assistants. Average if he doesn't.

Kerr will get coach of the year, but Golden State's success has as much to do with that tremendous assistant coaching staff. The Head Coach gets all the credit or blame, but he is just one piece. The rest of the staff is just as important, especially for a guy transitioning to the NBA - whether it is from college or out of the booth.

Without knowing who his staff would be, I couldn't make an educated prediction on whether Calipari thrives. Same goes for his GM; I don't know who he would choose. Those things would all be as important as Cal himself.
    How would you rate our current assistant coaching staff Mike?

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    How would you rate our current assistant coaching staff Mike?
    I don't want this to sound mean to the guy, but I think everybody in the staff outside of Randy Ayers is elite for their respective positions. Example, I think Bryan Gates is one of the best #2 assistants in the league. Randy Ayers might be in the lowest tier of #1 assistants and I think he is the main culprit for a lot of the conservative stuff I personally don't like.

Replace Ayers with Malone or even Borrego (two great assistants we have yet to adequately replace) and I think it is a fantastic staff. If Monty is not let go, I would advocate for Ayers getting canned and a top level assistant brought in. I love Gates offensive mind, so I would look for a defensive guy

So you are no fan of Ayers M.M.?

Thread Information