Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An Argument for Running It Back Next Season

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Monty very well could be fired. They will be looking at the losses and why we lost. Any clear pattern besides injuries such as poor coaching will increase his risk for being fired. Injuries won't get him off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Let's not forget how we took it to the defending champ Lakers, albeit with a less talented team.

We just need some seasoning without injury.
    Do you realize the folly of using his first year success? Many coaches have great success at first...until their systems are adjusted to. When your first year is the best out of 5........

The real question is... how did we even make it to 5? Now we are looking at 6 years of befuddlement? Great.

I like our talent level a lot, in fact I think it's one the most talented teams in the league. However it takes more than talent to win in the NBA, it takes talent, chemistry with the right complimenting parts to win a championship. I'm sorry to say even with this team is fuilly healthy our parts don't compliment each other very well. Either it is talent, health, mental states of mind or conflicting egos in games that consistently hurt this team. Coaching is another aspect. We have seen Monty coach better with less talent...the cohesion seems to be better because less egos, talent and more team players. Sometimes less is more. This of course is just my observations and opinions.

Banned
    Our bench players don't seem to get hurt.

And they are in the East
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by All Metro View Post
    And they are in the East
    No clue why that matters. Atlanta is 21-8 vs. the West this year and 22-10 against teams .500 or better.

You would take either of those, right?
    @mcnamara247

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Do you realize the folly of using his first year success? Many coaches have great success at first...until their systems are adjusted to. When your first year is the best out of 5........

The real question is... how did we even make it to 5? Now we are looking at 6 years of befuddlement? Great.
    He made it to 5 because of instability.
    I'm not certain I'd want to take a chance on a possibly lesser coach.
    Would rather have a certain prospect before letting him go.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    great article

Using the Hawks, and their SECOND YEAR COACH, is not a good comparison. Not one bit.

It is clear as day, that the COACH has impacted that team, a team with talent yet no real stars, in just his SECOND year. Your article is asking for a SIXTH year. To me, Budenholzer is about as clear as a reason to FIRE Monty as it gets.

They both have the same mentor right? Yes I know, injuries. Other teams just deal with injuries, we just use them as an excuse. And yes we have been devastated by injuries. Take a look around, other teams have HAD JUST AS MANY IF NOT MORE,,,, yet nobody talks about that.

Quick question. A 2 part question.

a) Which two teams have the best records in the NBA?
    b) How many years have the coaches been there?

It is human nature to be scared of change, but history proves - without question - that those who are not afraid of change and take risks -- reap the rewards. Not every time obviously, but more often than not.

I am not advocating change just for the sake of change, but I believe we have all of the empirical evidence required to make an intelligent decision at this point.

It is human nature to be scared of change, but history proves - without question - that those who are not afraid of change and take risks -- reap the rewards. Not every time obviously, but more often than not.

I am not advocating change just for the sake of change, but I believe we have all of the empirical evidence required to make an intelligent decision at this point.
    I would not argue that change is bad, I would also argue that change for change's sake is not the right path. As I said in the article, if you can get Gasol or Jordan or Kawhi, etc. go for it.

But if you are swapping up middling parts for middling parts, then any slight improvement in a vacuum from those players would be outweighed by the continuity you use.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 03-24-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Also, with regard to Monty and coaches. Yes, the top two coaches are new. But there are some new coaches that were disasters too (see: Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw). My argument for considering continuity is because we don't know what we have here yet. Golden State saw what their team was with Mark Jackson. They saw the ceiling. I have 169 minutes of data with our 5 starters and it is great. I can't advocate that change is absolutely necessary if I didn't absolutely know what I was changing from

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I have a question, because I honestly don't know: Could the reason for our litany of injuries stem from Monty's practice regiment? If so, a new style may be necessary. Keeping the same core with some tweaks of course.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I go back and forth on Monty like a feather in the breeze, BUT, if change means a Lionel Hollins, Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, stick-in-the-mud type, then I'll take the bird in hand. With the caveat being our core as designed by our GM has not played together. I think it's fair to point out that despite the injuries, despite the unique situation of the owner not hiring the GM who didn't hire the coach, The team has improved in successive years despite the disruption this team has faced over the years. DelMonty, if nothing else, have proven they have the temperament to provide a foundation of stability and that means something. Now, if the ownership group has a plan to bring in a visionary a young Sam Hinkie-type, a Sam Presti-type, who they are willing to give the reins to in an effort to build a culture from the ground up, FINE. Do your thing, Benson, its your party. But to fire DelMonty because of some imaginary line of success hasn't been reached is flat out absurd. Joe Dumars or even Jerry West in his prime, wouldn't do much to move the needle on THIS team under THESE circumstances. We would cement ourselves as mediocre also rans to make a move because we fell 2 or 3 games short of some arbitrary, relative finish line.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Josh Smith was on the Pistons in 13-14.
    Yes...duh. I meant that once he left Detroit...they went on a streak. Injuries and trades ruined that, but sometime one player (even if they are good) leaving can make a difference. I think Reke IS like Rudy Gay in that they can put up some impressive numbers but the teams don't necessarily prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Also, with regard to Monty and coaches. Yes, the top two coaches are new. But there are some new coaches that were disasters too (see: Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw). My argument for considering continuity is because we don't know what we have here yet. Golden State saw what their team was with Mark Jackson. They saw the ceiling. I have 169 minutes of data with our 5 starters and it is great. I can't advocate that change is absolutely necessary if I didn't absolutely know what I was changing from
    These are all valid points, and I do not discount any of them. While I agree with you that change just for the sake of change is normally not a good thing, sometimes it is. And while I also agree that Monty has had a bad streak of luck, I am of the mindset that we must all deal with the hand that we have been dealt. 5 years of bad luck, is still 5 years. This is a very very long time for excuses and mediocrity. Yes I am a results based extremist, so my bias is clear, but that does not change the validity of my point, which is simply put - he has had 5 years.

You purport that if Monty had the finishing 5 all healthy, he would lead us where? This is your main point of contention and reason to give a 6th chance, but have you ever revealed where his/our ceiling would be? Obviously this would just be your opinion, but I am genuinely asking.

You say what if they were all healthy? I say, what if Monty is an indirect/direct cause? Perhaps his entire defensive scheme which is heavy in rotations and long close outs is tough on the legs? Perhaps he is drilling them too hard in practice? Perhaps his schedule requires to much lifting and not enough resting? There are lots of variables would could go through.

Here is my final what if.... What if, we go through this all again next year? Holiday's stress fracture re-occurs, Anderson has been glass for the last 2 years, what if EG gets back to his injured ways? Will Monty get a 7th season?

When will the "injury card" be enough?

GSW. And their coach is on his first year.

Here is my final what if.... What if, we go through this all again next year? Holiday's stress fracture re-occurs, Anderson has been glass for the last 2 years, what if EG gets back to his injured ways? Will Monty get a 7th season?

When will the "injury card" be enough?
    I think everything you said are all valid arguments. I would say the answer to your last question is when the team stops showing improvement. In the last 3 complete seasons, our win totals have been 21, 27, 34. This season we already have 37 wins and the season is not over. In a vacuum, you might say that progress is not fast enough. When you add in the injuries we've had to that positive trajectory, I think he gets one more season.

My opinion is if we are healthy next year, we need to be not only a playoff team, but competitive against our first round opponent. If we have injuries like you mentioned again, I think we still need to see improvement on our win total. If neither of these two things happen, that's when I'll be ready to pull the plug on Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    You could dump guys, stretch guys, and/or let FA's walk and then go after new guys. That would be a realistic alternative. No, I don't think you can get a lot for Tyreke, Ryno, or Gordon, but I think you can find a team willing to absorb any of them and then go pursue other guys like Monroe.

But I wouldn't be for that. I am excited about seeing what this team could be if we run it back and the injury gods reward us for our patience.
    That was my point. Not that we couldn't start all over around Davis, but we would be getting less value for the players we have. This of course is assuming we'd be able to convince the better free agents to sign with the team.

IMO there's a difference between Horford's injury (pectoral) and the leg injuries our guards are plagued with. I wouldn't be surprised if EG and tyreke end up with chronic joint problems. I don't see health and continuity in the future for those 2 at all, especially EG. Sell them ASAP>

Thread Information