Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AD hurt at shootaround

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Quite a bit of commotion for a being questionable after a sprained ankle. Stephan Curry is on that amazing deal because everyone thought that he was injury prone after his first few seasons in the league.

I just bought tickets for this game and if AD doesn't play I don't know if I want to go.
    Ajinca will probably play like an All Star if AD sits. Because that seems to be the only time he shows up.

So I'd probably still go see it.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He is joking about a very specific poster that made a lot of ruckus(not always his own doing and more and more the prodding of others was what brought it on as time went on) in most AD threads for a couple years.

He maintained til recently - and still might actually - that Drummond was the superior player and AD wasn't going to amount to a top ten player ever. Still doesnt think he is a top ten player.
    Thank god someone picked up on that. Lol then again, cms homeboy thinks I'm a Jammer fan too. Sarcasm is apparently something he missed out on while sitting back and learning to formulate and express a sound opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Well then I would have a differing level of agreement in that case. I don't agree with that. Still, I think there is good reason for why he should give it a go if it isn't that bad.
    Then we are in agreement and my comments weren't directed at you.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Then we are in agreement and my comments weren't directed at you.
    I hope they weren't for me, bro. If so, I gots a cool story to tell ya

Thunder fans probably wanted KD to suck it up and play and look where that mentality led him. But at least he has a good reputation right??!

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I hope they weren't for me, bro. If so, I gots a cool story to tell ya
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Thank god someone picked up on that. Lol then again, cms homeboy thinks I'm a Jammer fan too. Sarcasm is apparently something he missed out on while sitting back and learning to formulate and express a sound opinion.
    No, bud, I got it. That was the point of my saying you were a fan.

LOL. Crying about AD not playing on a rolled ankle and saying he should "play through it" is so short sighted.

I'd rather he miss tonight to be able to play against GSW or LA. If there's any game to sit him it's tonight. Not force him now and then he hurt it worse.

We are already missing Ryno and Jrue. I'd rather we save risking ADs future for when we have at least our top guys.

Playoffs might seem "big" now to you guys but you still never risk the health of a player like AD.

Banged up is way different then actively having an injury and people saying "he better play". Reke had been trying to play on a bum ankle. How has that worked out for us?

You rush things and the injury gets worse then what? Look at Durant this year, just today:

News on Kevin Durant today concerning. Soreness/foot issues just continue to linger. Doing less court work than this time last week.

All because he rushed coming back from his foot surgery.

Nah man. You people ARE crazy for saying AD should play through it. If its bad enough he thinks he has to sit I trust him. Dude gave up his ASG start because of injury. The least you people should do is give him the benefit of the doubt.
    It is a sprained ankle.. AKA it CANNOT GET WORSE. The standard for NBA players is if you can tolerate the pain, you play. - (ankle or any other injury that is simply pain tolerance) If he rests it, he may be 100% a bit sooner, but even that is conjecture. Nothing is known except for the MAJOR FACTOR that we are battling every game for that #8 spot. Each and every victory and loss affects our playoff future.

Having AD miss 3 or even 1 game is the real folly. What if we go 1-2 while he is out and then miss the 8th seed by 1 game. Would it have been a good idea to rest him for next year in this example? Obviously not. Have you never played basketball with a sprained ankle? Give me a break. Again, there are varying levels , 1,2 and 3. Depending on what he has, I would expect him to play. Some Advil, ankle support, good tape job and some adrenaline HAS ALWAYS BEEN ENOUGH TO PLAY THROUGH A SPRAIN - unless it is a 3rd degree and high ankle.

Those of you stating "what's the point, we will lose in the 1st anyways" ---- Honest question. Why are you here? I believe we can win the championship this year. Would I bet money? No. Do I think it is probable? No. Do I think it is possible, why yes I do. Anything is possible. Impossible is nothing (KG) The odds are obviously against us, but so what. I cannot imagine being a fan and not having FAITH. What a waste of time and life IMO.

Remember, An optimist will always admit to being an optimist, but a pessimist will only admit to being a "realist"

Capture the present NOW (get it), worry about the future..... in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    It is a sprained ankle.. AKA it CANNOT GET WORSE. The standard for NBA players is if you can tolerate the pain, you play. - (ankle or any other injury that is simply pain tolerance) If he rests it, he may be 100% a bit sooner, but even that is conjecture. Nothing is known except for the MAJOR FACTOR that we are battling every game for that #8 spot. Each and every victory and loss affects our playoff future.

Having AD miss 3 or even 1 game is the real folly. What if we go 1-2 while he is out and then miss the 8th seed by 1 game. Would it have been a good idea to rest him for next year in this example? Obviously not. Have you never played basketball with a sprained ankle? Give me a break. Again, there are varying levels , 1,2 and 3. Depending on what he has, I would expect him to play. Some Advil, ankle support, good tape job and some adrenaline HAS ALWAYS BEEN ENOUGH TO PLAY THROUGH A SPRAIN - unless it is a 3rd degree and high ankle.

Those of you stating "what's the point, we will lose in the 1st anyways" ---- Honest question. Why are you here? I believe we can win the championship this year. Would I bet money? No. Do I think it is probable? No. Do I think it is possible, why yes I do. Anything is possible. Impossible is nothing (KG) The odds are obviously against us, but so what. I cannot imagine being a fan and not having FAITH. What a waste of time and life IMO.

Remember, An optimist will always admit to being an optimist, but a pessimist will only admit to being a "realist"

Capture the present NOW (get it), worry about the future..... in the future....
    How can an ankle sprain not get worse if they have grades of ankle sprains that you can't play through?

Edit: I'll put it another way. Unless you know what grade of ankle sprain AD has you or anyone else can't say what he should do.

I personally prefer to trust what AD decides to do instead of saying what he SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do. I trust that he wants to win more than any of you guys saying he should play no matter what.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 03-19-2015 at 06:00 PM.

put a mask on his ankle and send him out for another triple-double w/ 35 shots needed to get 30 points

oh wait that's someone else
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    put a mask on his ankle and send him out for another triple-double w/ 35 shots needed to get 30 points

oh wait that's someone else
    Good idea, maybe than he will get noticed in the MVP discussion.

How can an ankle sprain not get worse if they have grades of ankle sprains that you can't play through?
    Because the grade/degree is determined by the injury - at the time of injury. You don't get a 1st degree sprain, play on it, and it turns in to a 2nd degree. It just doesn't work that way.

I would have thought that Reke got a 3rd degree sprain on his latest injury, but he only missed a week's time I believe, and that would be fast healing for a 3rd.

I am no doctor, but have suffered many sprains, as we all have I am sure.

My point is, sprains don't get worse if you play on it. Now, it may not heal as fast and will be sore longer if you don't rest it, but that is why my original post was about pain tolerance. It will heal over time, rather you rest it or not.

If you can tolerate the pain, and it is not affecting your movement a ton, you play. If you just can't walk on it then you rest it obviously.

Many variables to consider, but if he is able to tough it out, I would expect him to play.

Trust me, he wants the playoffs more than we do!

Because the grade/degree is determined by the injury - at the time of injury. You don't get a 1st degree sprain, play on it, and it turns in to a 2nd degree. It just doesn't work that way.

I would have thought that Reke got a 3rd degree sprain on his latest injury, but he only missed a week's time I believe, and that would be fast healing for a 3rd.

My point is, sprains don't get worse if you play on it. Now, it may not heal as fast and will be sore longer if you don't rest it, but that is why my original post was about pain tolerance. It will heal over time, rather you rest it or not.

If you can tolerate the pain, and it is not affecting your movement a ton, you play. If you just can't walk on it then you rest it obviously.

Many variables to consider, but if he is able to tough it out, I would expect him to play.

Then we are in agreement. I believe if AD can he will play. I don't get people coming in here and saying what he should or shouldn't do when no one has any idea of how bad his ankle sprain is.

People saying he should play no matter what because "playoffs" however are shortsighted and wrong. If his injury is bad enough he has to sit then he should. Period.

Sh#t happens, no time to cry. Next man up and lets get a win tonight. GO PELS !

Someone literally said unless it's broke he should play. . .
    I was being facetious. What you should have taken from that is at this juncture of the season and with the playoffs in our grasps, he needs to play unless the injury is severe
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

I don't get the crowd that wants to save everything for the future. Everyone here should be estatic about being in the hunt for the 8th spot. So, we save a 20yo for next season, then next year he's hurt again. Should we save him for the year after that? I don't get it. You are not guaranteed anything in this league but some want to push everything down the line as if this team is magically going to become contenders in the future

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    Dude, you are the only person I've ever seen that has the audacity to compare Drummond to AD. I would trade 3 Drummonds for 1 AD. As would 90% of the civilized world. Hell, I'd even throw in a bag of chips.
    Yeah...you don't hang out around here too much, do you?

If I'm not mistaken the grade of the sprain can change, if it reinjuried. For example you sprain your ankle... treat and feel i think i can play on it. Then you play on it and roll it again maybe this time worse. That process can upgrade the severity of the grade. But just playing may not make it worse if he doesn't re-injure it, but its not going to heal either. Considering who we play tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I don't get the crowd that wants to save everything for the future. Everyone here should be estatic about being in the hunt for the 8th spot. So, we save a 20yo for next season, then next year he's hurt again. Should we save him for the year after that? I don't get it. You are not guaranteed anything in this league but some want to push everything down the line as if this team is magically going to become contenders in the future
    He is not 36 and in his last few years. Doing anything to risk further injuring him in year 3 when we don't have a fully healthy team is silly.

LMA playing through his finger injury instead of having surgery makes sense. Portland's window is now.

This team's window is not now. If he feels he is too injured too play he shouldn't. It really is that simple. We are NOT in some do or die situation simply because this is our first year really competing for a Playoff spot in awhile. It's a fun run and everyone is hoping it happens. That does not mean AD should play by any means necessary. It means next man up.

I will add this. I read about a story in which a coach in the NBA was greatly scrutinized for holding out a player. The coach was in the first rd of the playoffs and the player felt like he could play if the team felt like he needed him. But the coach was so sure that he would be a staple for that franchise he didn't play him because he did not want to risk further injury. They end up making the playoffs but lost in the first round. The media and fans bashed him for not playing the player. But it was better for the long run and I'll tell you why... the coach was Pop and the player was Tim Duncan. Even though Duncan felt like he could play he trusted the decision of his coach. And he said at that moment the spurs and the coach won his loyalty, because he believed in him that much and that he meant that much to the future of the franchise to sit out. That the coach viewed his health more important than making a run in the playoffs. So let's not be so quick to say hey this is playoff time or we are trying to make the playoffs he should play with the shoulder or ankle or whatever. How this organization handle davis's injuries could determine whether he decides to stay with us for the long haul or not. I would rather do that and have AD for 15+ yrs then a run in the playoffs where we might get kicked out of the 1st rd.

Don't get me wrong I know how much the organization could used the push of making the playoffs from the fans and future FA's prospective. I wish we were in a position we could just rest davis knowing we are lock for the playoffs. I just wanted to give ppl another side to look at this issue. Even though it may not be on the same scale, but the principle stays the same.

He is not 36 and in his last few years. Doing anything to risk further injuring him in year 3 when we don't have a fully healthy team is silly.

LMA playing through his finger injury instead of having surgery makes sense. Portland's window is now.

This team's window is not now. If he feels he is too injured too play he shouldn't. It really is that simple. We are NOT in some do or die situation simply because this is our first year really competing for a Playoff spot in awhile. It's a fun run and everyone is hoping it happens. That does not mean AD should play by any means necessary. It means next man up.
    I agree with you. This team's window is not now in the aspect of winning a championship. It seems like to me Ppl treat this game like its 2K or something.

I am no doctor,
    You make an incorrect assumption here. Sprains are simply torn ligaments and they are graded 1 through 3 as you may already know. You can absolutely make it worse by playing on it depending on the ligament involved and the grade. Grade 3 is a complete rupture with surgery the only option for repair of that specific ligament. Once its a grade 3 it will not heal without surgery. Again, depending on the ligament involved they can be played through.

So my question is, if you were told you had a grade 2 sprain and playing on it could cause it to rupture completely, would you play?

Edit: I am not saying this is the case with AD, just that all sprains are not created equally even though there is a grading system.

AD is OUT tonight

Last edited by rt0307; 03-19-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    AD is OUT tonight

Pels win by 30

A hero comes out of the shadows wearing a Pels #32.

We deserve this hero!
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information