Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ryan Anderson: a liability?

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    See i call that reoccurring injuries or a degenerative issue. I consider injury prone someone who has a freak accident here and a few other weird ones. To each their own though. I guess it is a very liberal phrase.
    I mean, to me, injury prone should be easily defined. Your body is more prone to sustaining an injury than the average guy.

Two guys have the same (x) impact and one has (y) injury result and the other has (z) non-injury result, then one guy is more injury prone than the other. At least with regard to that part of the body.

So, for me, Gordon is an injury prone guy because he gets banged up everywhere and misses games because of different kinds of impact - many of which other guys' bodies can sustain.

Ryno, meanwhile, had a major injury that any spine would have suffered with that kind of impact at that angle, speed, etc. The ankle/knee injury, I don't know. Maybe some better athletes could have been okay.

But by my definition, I don't consider him injury prone.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean, to me, injury prone should be easily defined. Your body is more prone to sustaining an injury than the average guy.

Two guys have the same (x) impact and one has (y) injury result and the other has (z) non-injury result, then one guy is more injury prone than the other. At least with regard to that part of the body.

So, for me, Gordon is an injury prone guy because he gets banged up everywhere and misses games because of different kinds of impact - many of which other guys' bodies can sustain.

Ryno, meanwhile, had a major injury that any spine would have suffered with that kind of impact at that angle, speed, etc. The ankle/knee injury, I don't know. Maybe some better athletes could have been okay.

And what happens if he comes back in the playoffs and hurts a wrist? Where's your line?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Injury prone imo is simple. Someone who often misses a bunch of games due to injury.

HOW / WHY the injury occurred means nothing to me. Missing games is missing games. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Last edited by WhoDatPelican; 03-06-2015 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Might have to take into account play style. Guys like Westbrook, Rose who are constantly accelerating and jumping are putting themselves in a situation to get hurt more often.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    And what happens if he comes back in the playoffs and hurts a wrist? Where's your line?
    Depends on how he hurts it I suppose. Skies for a dunk, then gets undercut and lands on it (most likely obviously!), then I say it is a fluke injury.

Something smaller - injury prone

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    NOLA:

Where players come to get injured, then hypothetically traded.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Might have to take into account play style. Guys like Westbrook, Rose who are constantly accelerating and jumping are putting themselves in a situation to get hurt more often.
    I agree, and to be honest, unless we have access to every players doctors, we can never know for sure. As fans, we will always be limited in this information. I mean, as a fan, I would have never taken a chance on Jared Dudley this summer, but if I am Milwaukee and could get access to his medical history, talk to his doctors, and I know the strengths of my own staff, maybe I make a different decision.

We are just so limited looking at it from here.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I think the stat that BallSoHard threw out should be very eye opening. You can stick Ryan Anderson out there with 4 8th graders and generate good shots, now making them is another story. Mostly related to skill and talent, you can fix that. Look at Philly, they generally generate good shots, they just don't make them. They then compound that problem by allowing the other team to generate good shots. Again whether the other team makes them or not is irrelevent. Ryan Anderson took bad shots. Can he rectify this? Those are the important points.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I think Anderson needs to be traded in the off season.

I disagree. The 2012 and pre-injury 2013 Ryan Anderson was a great addition to the Pelicans on a favorable contract and if I remember right he only cost us Gustavo Ayon, a hard working but mediocre player. His 3 pt shooting and stats were improving every year, his rebounding is better than expected and he is a clutch FT shooter. I also think he is a better defensive player than what given credit for. When he returned in 2014 he was obviously not in his usual physical condition and looker heavier and slower than usual. Don't forget the guy is resilient considering he recovered from the tragic suicide of his girlfriend to post record numbers before going down with a major injury. Stretch 4's with Ryno's ability to hit the long ball at a 40% rate are rare and don't fall off of trees. His elbow and knee injuries are relatively minor but his recovery from the cervical spine injury with nerve damage to his shooting arm can take months or a year to recover from. I am of the belief that a summer of recovery and rehab will result in the return of the old Ryno in 2015 and considering he is only 26 years old that his shooting will continue to improve over the next several years that he has the potential to become the elite NBA 3Pt shooter because of his form, height and quick release. To trade him at half value would be ludicrous especially considering his future potential. Due to injuries to EG and Drew and the loss of Morrow Ryno was being asked to shoulder the whole offense at times this year. If the Pelicans can become fully healthy Ryno will be a 6th man brought in to drain 3's and could potentially be the X factor to put the team over the top. I guess no one will know until the 2015 season but my money is on Ryno returning to full strength and being a major piece of the Pelicans team.
    Last edited by DRDJ1; 03-06-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Ryan Anderson: a liability?

I honestly like Ryan Anderson as a player and locker room guy. I also think we could trade Ryan Anderson, Asik, and Eric Gordon. We use the cap space/MLE to sign or receive in trade a starting SF, Starting bruiser type center (Ajinca starts when not facing big center), a backup shooting guard, and backup power forward. I don't see those 3 guys being on the team when we make a deep run in playoffs. I honestly think AD develops a 3 point threat later in his career. I should say a 3 Pt threat where he can make one if he is wide open so you have to respect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information