Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GRIII waived by TWolves

GRIII waived by TWolves

I for one would like to try to submit a claim on him...thoughts?

Who?
    I'm a grinder

Glenn Robinson the third.

He's a really good kid too. Would like to try him out, really athletic 3 and could possibly be molded into a really good wing defender. Liked his game at Michigan. He was actually projected to go in the 1-10 in 1st rd in the same draft as Noel, Burke, and them. He decided to stay in school and it hurt his draft stock big time. Not saying he'd be better now but def more money and more likely to stick on a roster based in that. I'd def be interested in giving him a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Who?
    Guess you don't watch much college hoops. I'd definitely be willing to try this kid out as a backup SG/SF after EG is gone. The Twolves had A LOT of good wings on their roster. So, there's a good chance he didn't get the opportunities he deserved there.

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    Guess you don't watch much college hoops. I'd definitely be willing to try this kid out as a backup SG/SF after EG is gone. The Twolves had A LOT of good wings on their roster. So, there's a good chance he didn't get the opportunities he deserved there.
    I remember him at Michigan I just drew a blank when I saw the title. Tbh no I don't watch college basketball much until tournament time.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Would a 10 day contract be possible?
    Get him in to practice, work him out and see if there's anything there.

Yes please.

I remember discussing his game on this board over the last few years, and my position on him hasn't changed. His game needs some work, and he might never be Wes Matthews or Kawaii Leonard, he can be a very servicable role guy (with potential to be a starter). When Burke and Hardaway left, and McGary got hurt it was on GRIII and Spike to do all of the heavy lifting, and only Spike truly did any. Robinson proved to be a glue " Jack of all trades, master of none" player. He was more than a system player, and he had great games against good competition, but he never did it consistently.

I am all for bringing him in and letting him work out for us, though I believe this is just a pipe dream. I don't think we were interested in him pre-draft, and I don't know what kind of interest we will have in him now. I know in a few days we will have an open spot (if we don't give Whats his face a second 10-day contract), but unless we wave that guy, some other team will come in and sign GR3.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

they waived him to grab Justin Hamilton too... interesting

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    they waived him to grab Justin Hamilton too... interesting
    Yeah, kind of sad we never called Hamilton by his nickname "Ham Sandwich".

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm down with that. Pick him up, Demps.

He can't get run in Minny. We have Q-Pon and will likely add another SF this summer. How is he gonna get run here?
    @mcnamara247

We already are struggling with davis back in the rotation, this guy is young, knows nothing of our defensive system, is not a savvy veteran at all and we're at a turning point to reach the playoffs...

No. Really, just no. I mean if he lasts until the summer then maybe we can see what he has, but right now, no.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He can't get run in Minny. We have Q-Pon and will likely add another SF this summer. How is he gonna get run here?
    Who says he needs to get run? He could take the spot Elliot Williams is in, or even Jimmer's spot.

I think you answered your own question.

If we are going to give the benefit of the doubt to the team getting better when everyone is healthy, then you must assume QPon will improve as well (right?). If you have an improved Reke and QPon you can afford a player like Robinson as a third sf, or 4th win off your bench. He won't be taking up major minuets (that would be the only burden in brining a new guy in). Let him develop here. His contract would be small enough where it won't hurt our cap space either (unless the rookie minimum is breaking the bank or putting us in even more of a cap bind than we already will be in).

This would be another one of those Ayon, Ajinca type under the radar deals.

This is insane. Dude was cut to make room for a guy we cut. People are getting caught up in names and "potential" again. I've got no interest in GR3. He wouldn't beat out Babbitt.

Work hard at practice and beat his man out maybe?

We do not have many players under contract for next year. What would it hurt to sign him to an unguaranteed deal for next year and see what he can do in the offseason? He would take the spot of a 10 day contract. It is not like SF is our strength and he is only 21.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I don't think anyone is suggesting he becomes the truth. But maybe Monty sees something worth keeping in practice. I dunno. I mean, we're bringing in guys like Elliot Williams, Gal Mekel, and Tony Daniels. 10 day deal. See what shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting he becomes the truth. But maybe Monty sees something worth keeping in practice. I dunno. I mean, we're bringing in guys like Elliot Williams, Gal Mekel, and Tony Daniels. 10 day deal. See what shakes.
    You got me excited there for a second. Made me think we brought in Troy Daniels.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

I don't see the harm (then again I am a devout Michigan homer and I still am holding out hope that Burke won't be a bust) in bringing him in. Players on non-guaranteed contracts get cut all the time. It doesn't mean they are bad players, it means they have a non-guaranteed contract and so they are the most expendable (even more so if they are young and haven't shown anything yet). I knkw I don't have expectations of him coming here and being Wes Matthews, or John Starks, but if he can be a young solid bench guy ( see my comparison to Ajinca and Ayon, young cheap bench players) I would be over the moon. Speaking of players who have been cut, this past offseason PJ Tucker and Gerald Green were hot commodities to us had (wait for it) both been cut in their NBA careers.

I don't think we would brake the bank by brining him in, but a guy who is only 21, and is in his rookie year, would be a better investment for the long term than some of the other 10 day guys we have brought in.

Just saw that Eman wrote a much briefer version of what I am trying to say. Read his version instead.

This would be a developmental move, pickup up a talented rookie prospect for nothing. A kid with lottery talent that stayed in school a year to long. Put him in that 15th spot, get him going in a our program, coach him and let him get time in the D league.

You let him compete for minutes next season.

But you can't keep letting other teams pluck all the young talent that gets released and coming up with these gems. He couldn't get any run in Minny because after drafting him and Lavine, they traded for Wiggins and Bennett.

They had Kmart, Shabazz, Budinger, Hummel and before he got traded Mo williams, but now Gary Neal.

Not getting minutes in Minnesota doesn't mean the kid isn't talented. It turns out he just got drafted by the wrong team. And at this point if we keep winning we're going to have a hard time finding cheap young talent to infuse into our system.

Young prospects like him don't get released everyday.

Can't keep letting Philly pick up every Robert Covington that gets released because their team is trying to make a power move or fill a need.
    Last edited by NemesisKING; 03-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Really? The reason we are giving is we can't let other teams pluck young talent off of waivers? LOL.

I'm sorry but if you guys don't trust Dell by now with these sorts of moves you never will. The guy has proven he is capable of bringing in this talent. Our 3-5 position is more than solid at this level. Bringing in another guy who Monty will have to teach the game too doesn't really make a ton of sense. Not when we don't even know if we will be keeping all of our own players this summer.

Let's not forget we also have our own 2nd round pick we will be looking at developing.

Combine all that with not even being able to play him if we make the Playoffs and he doesn't make a whole lot of sense. D leaguers are the best bet from here on out.

I trust Dell to make a signing like this. It's under the radar. The only issue will be if somebody scoops him up before we can (not sure if we can just cut a 10 day contract guy).

There is no harm or foul in putting a guy in the 15 spot of your roster.

Never really cared for Robinson in college. His impact came from simply being a better athlete than most college kids. He's just a marginal NBA athlete so I don't expect him to do much. However my stance on these type moves remain the same. I don't see how it hurts therefore I wouldn't be against it.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 03-06-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Thread Information