Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GRIII waived by TWolves

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Really? The reason we are giving is we can't let other teams pluck young talent off of waivers? LOL.

I'm sorry but if you guys don't trust Dell by now with these sorts of moves you never will. The guy has proven he is capable of bringing in this talent. Our 3-5 position is more than solid at this level. Bringing in another guy who Monty will have to teach the game too doesn't really make a ton of sense. Not when we don't even know if we will be keeping all of our own players this summer.

Let's not forget we also have our own 2nd round pick we will be looking at developing.

Combine all that with not even being able to play him if we make the Playoffs and he doesn't make a whole lot of sense. D leaguers are the best bet from here on out.
    No, thats not the reason. And i definitely do trust Dell, but that doesn't mean there isn't any desire on my part to see an out of the blue pickup of a 21 year old rookie with a huge upside. We're talking about picking up talent for nothing in that 15th spot.

We don't have to release anyone to get him, we don't even have to release our 10 day guy Elliot Williams. I think this is why you have an open roster spot at the end of the season so you can make moves like these that could potentially benefit you next year and after.

Monty won't be teaching him anything that he isn't already teaching everyone else on a daily basis. This team is still being taught every day and is a work in progress. If anyone will be working closely with him it'll be Fred Vinson, Bryan Gates and the other assistants, who i bet would love to get their hands on a young talented guy like that to help mold.

He comes in and is physically more gifted than everyone on the team except for AD, and is also 21. I'm just talking about picking up a rookie small forward and teaching him our system early and seeing what you can uncover.

And a future 2nd round pick doesn't have anything to do with today. That isn't even a player, its a chance to take a player, that we probably won't end up even using by the draft.

Once again i'm just talking filling that 15th spot with him, because its either going to stay empty or get filled with a D league guy that won't play any way.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisKING View Post
    No, thats not the reason. And i definitely do trust Dell, but that doesn't mean there isn't any desire on my part to see an out of the blue pickup of a 21 year old rookie with a huge upside. We're talking about picking up talent for nothing in that 15th spot.

We don't have to release anyone to get him, we don't even have to release our 10 day guy Elliot Williams. I think this is why you have an open roster spot at the end of the season so you can make moves like these that could potentially benefit you next year and after.

Monty won't be teaching him anything that he isn't already teaching everyone else on a daily basis. This team is still being taught every day and is a work in progress. If anyone will be working closely with him it'll be Fred Vinson, Bryan Gates and the other assistants, who i bet would love to get their hands on a young talented guy like that to help mold.

He comes in and is physically more gifted than everyone on the team except for AD, and is also 21. I'm just talking about picking up a rookie small forward and teaching him our system early and seeing what you can uncover.

And a future 2nd round pick doesn't have anything to do with today. That isn't even a player, its a chance to take a player, that we probably won't end up even using by the draft.

Once again i'm just talking filling that 15th spot with him, because its either going to stay empty or get filled with a D league guy that won't play any way.
    I'd rather pick up someone who can help us this year and play in the Playoffs. Aminu was super athletic. I honest don't care about that.

If he was viewed as having any talent he wouldn't have been cut by a rebuilding team. Let him develop in Europe or Dleague.

How has our track record been with DLeague players? How would they benefit us more than signing a guy like GR3? Honest question because one has been practicing and playing with NBA players, while the other has been practicing and playing against DLeague players.

I think the idea of him being released is being overblown. He didn't have a guaranteed contract. There are far worse players in the NBA still on their teams because they have guaranteed contracts. He was playing a position where the team had a million and one prospects, and he was the only one on a non-guaranteed contract. This is like why we cut Hamilton (we have 3 centers already, and 4 guys who can play the pf spot). We didn't need him and he wasn't guaranteed, so we cut him for a position we could use help at.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How has our track record been with DLeague players? How would they benefit us more than signing a guy like GR3? Honest question because one has been practicing and playing with NBA players, while the other has been practicing and playing against DLeague players.

I think the idea of him being released is being overblown. He didn't have a guaranteed contract. There are far worse players in the NBA still on their teams because they have guaranteed contracts. He was playing a position where the team had a million and one prospects, and he was the only one on a non-guaranteed contract. This is like why we cut Hamilton (we have 3 centers already, and 4 guys who can play the pf spot). We didn't need him and he wasn't guaranteed, so we cut him for a position we could use help at.
    They could actually play for us in the Playoffs unlike GR3.

Is that a rule (honest question as I am not aware of the rules regarding playoff rosters)?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Is that a rule (honest question as I am not aware of the rules regarding playoff rosters)?
    Per Larry Coon

"If a team requests waivers on a player after March 1 (March 23 in 2011-12), the player is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that subsequently acquires him."

Since GR3 was on a NBA team and cut he is going through waivers which makes him ineligible.

Ah, ok I understand now. Interesting point, and a viable excuse not to pick him up (if we are playoff bound).

Id at least look at him. Good athlete, nice Jumper... do wonder why they waived him though

Thread Information