Pelicans Report

Thread: Wesley Matthews

Wesley Matthews

I don't know if anyone is watching the Dallas and Blazers game but that Matthews injury may be more than just an ankle.. While he was down I saw him grab the back off his heel area, then they showed the slow-mo and it looked like it might be an Achilles injury... It appeared like something snapped. It didn't look good.

@WojYahooNBA: Portland's Wesley Matthews on his way to MRI, with Blazers holding significant concern about seriousness of lower leg injury.

Hopefully not Achilles but suspicious
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Hopefully not Achilles but suspicious
    I think he will be fortunate if its not....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Just announced he indeed tore his achilles

Sucks for him he was coming in for a big pay day this summer. On the other hand the Affalo pick up is looking great.

1-6

wow that really sucks, definitely feel for the guy.

Dam talk about bad luck. I really wish we would of went after affalo. Could u imagine if we had went after Mathews n got him in a trade n this happened? Lol..good lord. Prayers for the young man tho.

They got Afflalo in perfect timing. Reminds of when we got Carl Landry then D-West tore his ACL.

I am not a cap guy, but what does this do to his FA value. His MO was hustle, and not so much being a sky walker, so while the injury will hurt him, it's not like when Courtney Alexander got hurt, and it's not like if a guy like Deandre Jordan, Nate Robinson, or some other guy who's game totally depends on jumping through the roof were to be hurt.

So does this lower his price tag, or has he built up enough of a body of work that he doesn't take a monumental fall? I am hesitant with any injured player (still uncertain of Jrue or Ryno upon return), but I know some people can look past that.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So does this lower his price tag
    Not to the point where we can afford him. We'll be limited to the MLE without making a major move, but if Portland wants to put all their eggs in Afflalo's basket and someone like New York had more interest in an expiring Gordon than giving a new deal to an injured Matthews, we could get him via a 3 way S&T.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Not to the point where we can afford him. We'll be limited to the MLE without making a major move, but if Portland wants to put all their eggs in Afflalo's basket and someone like New York had more interest in an expiring Gordon than giving a new deal to an injured Matthews, we could get him via a 3 way S&T.
    Would either of them be interested enough in a Ryno, Gordon, or some combo of players (not necessarily AD/Jrue/Reke) in order for us to land him? Both Ryno and Gordon will have contracts somewhat similar to what Matthews will command (in his current state), so maybe it's doable if everyone is drunk enough.

Wesley Matthews

Isn't it safe to say he'll miss a good bit of time next season? This is a guy I wanted, but by next season we are in win-now or lots of people lose their job mode if they don't already lose their jobs this offseason. If we were targeting a guy like Matthews, I think we need to say "on to the next one" and focus our efforts on Danny Green.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    Isn't it safe to say he'll miss a good bit of time next season? This is a guy I wanted, but by next season we are in win-now or lots of people lose their job mode if they don't already lose their jobs this offseason. If we were targeting a guy like Matthews, I think we need to say "on to the next one" and focus our efforts on Danny Green.
    But so will every other team with a need at that position. Matthews value has probably dropped, but the market for Green is at an all time high.

Honestly, the biggest winner in all of this probably is Green. His value just went soaring.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Swap one injury prone guard for a guy coming off an achilles injury? Sorry but I would rather just keep Gordon then have another season of not having our core unit together for a large stretch of time.

Thread Information