Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Westbrooks Butt Kissing Media Trip/Dub Fawning! Stats be darn!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    It's rough for you, because you're struggling w/ the original discussion!thats ok ! I have big fingers & enjoy watching the pettiness over grammar & typing arise to compensate and misdirection from actual discussion. The strangest,simplest & most meaningless things seem to bother you! But I think that only happens when you are trying to misdirect from the actual conversation .
    It really bothers me too, and I am sure many other posters. I think you should take it as constructive criticism rather than a personal attack. It would be much better, both for those who agree with you and those who don't, if you posted in a fashion that is at least somewhat normal and easy to follow. It is much easier to take a person's posts seriously if they look like the work of an adult.

I don't know why, if you have good points, you would want anything to take away from that. Your format distracts people from the content. Make the content the star, not the format.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Yes sir ! Your royal highness. But, I do notice that you don't take any criticism graciously. Huh. That's odd.

Lopez is good..

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It really bothers me too, and I am sure many other posters. I think you should take it as constructive criticism rather than a personal attack. It would be much better, both for those who agree with you and those who don't, if you posted in a fashion that is at least somewhat normal and easy to follow. It is much easier to take a person's posts seriously if they look like the work of an adult.

I don't know why, if you have good points, you would want anything to take away from that. Your format distracts people from the content. Make the content the star, not the format.
    Btw, if you want me to obliterate your last post grammatically, I will . You have some doozies in your run-ons, prepositional errors, past tense & literal misplacement of adverbs & adjectives .
    I type fast, have big fingers, don't spell check & space bar is my friend. I truly never thought of preparing a literary paper on a basketball forum. Frankly because I don't care if someone else types differently or uses signs I don't use . None of that really bothers me if their point is valid. I will try my best to appease all of the English majors on this sight from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTerrapin View Post
    Do you also not realize that most of the talented guards in the nba are at or near a 2:1 ratio?

Since you stressed 2 to 1 isn't good with ALL CAPS, I'll instantly shut this terrible comment down, as follows:

Do you consider these players NOT GOOD:

Lillard
    Rondo
    Rose
    Bledsoe
    Kyrie
    Conley
    Dragic
    Parker
    MCW
    Curry
    Wall

Because I can count 7 of those guys off the top of my head that have been all-stars. One may be the mvp this year. That's 11 point guards at or near 2:1. Take a seat. You're not good at this.
    Show the stats ! Tyreke's ratio is .13 better than Westbrook. I gave you stats, you give me names w/ no numbers. Really? Where's the beef?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Amen

Russ was great again tonight. He was Ballin.
    He was great enough to carry his team to another close call . He came up clutch w/ that air ball & stepping out of bounds. (All that good stuff in 4.9 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTerrapin View Post
    Amen
    Pettiness is not a virtue. Although I may not type to your approved level, I feel quite sure that if typing issues are causing such disillusionment w/ some ; then WoW, I feel great about my state of mind. Typos and grammar mistakes etc. by others is. Insignificant to me, I didn't cross my mind to waste time on such a trivial thing.

the point of this thread seems petty. you're upset that westbrooks performances are making headlines?

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    the point of this thread seems petty. you're upset that westbrooks performances are making headlines?
    Point missed ! Badly, might I add. I started the discussion based on my interpretation of the medias reaction to west brooks 4 t/d's. That's all. Quite. Simple. Media was drooling about the icing, so I just wanted to show that actual cake ain't all that. As did Charles Barkley & Rick Fox. It was just a discussion piece, w/ obviously a lot of discussion. I think the media overhyped his personal accomplishments & morphed it into "he's carrying the team on his back" Although his shooting stats and TO stats are less than pedestrian. But as far as being upset about his media coverage. Please! It's worth the discussion because my opinion differs, but I'm in no danger of losing sleep over such insignificant fodder . Just discussion for a forum. You don't have to overthink my thought process

In the Medias constant fawning over Westbrooks 4 trip/dubs in a row!They Fail to mention that he is 50-122 (40%)!
    He is 3-18 from 3pt range (16%) & 19 Turnovers!Just under 5 per game!So,30.5 shots per game, w/ a blind mans % from 3pt. & 5 TO's per game ! AD's QUALITY stats last night didnt equate to a Trip/dub, but it annihilates Westbrooks QUANTITY trip/dubs. The medias HYPE machine in full gear
    I started the discussion based on my interpretation of the medias reaction to west brooks 4 t/d's
    Media was drooling about the icing, so I just wanted to show that actual cake ain't all that
    So which is it? your interpretation of their reaction, or wanting to discredit westbrooks achievement?

I just think his trip/dubs are overhyped because of his shot & turnover ratios & OKC's overall play during the 4 games
    I think the media overhyped his personal accomplishments & morphed it into "he's carrying the team on his back" Although his shooting stats and TO stats are less than pedestrian. But as far as being upset about his media coverage. Please! It's worth the discussion because my opinion differs, but I'm in no danger of losing sleep over such insignificant fodder
    If I made one of the best tasting cookies ever, but the bottom was burnt, would you talk about the fact that the taste is one of the best ever, or that the bottom is burnt? My bet would be bottom is burnt.

Rather than read the headlines and move on, you're upset the media didn't include his shooting % and turnovers. When I say upset, I don't mean crying tears, I mean it ruffled your feathers. Clearly it did, you have made a post about it wanting to highlight the negatives. I didn't say you couldn't do that, or that you're opinion and this discussion isn't valid, merely that to me trying to detract from someone's achievements is petty.

Do you think when people look back on Russ they'll say "remember that guy who went .500 over a 4 game stretch of double doubles on high usage not too efficiently?" MJ had 10 double doubles over 11 games in 89 and went .500 in that time span. He shot 119/255 FG - 46%, 2/18 3P - 11.11%, and rocked 37 TO - 3.36 per game. KD in his MVP season, went .500 in his last 4 games, shot 46/98 FG - 46%, 6/27 3P - 22%, with 12 TO - 3 per game, and only 18 assists. Meanwhile Westbrook played 2 more quarters in 2 OT's, higher TO, but 42 Assists compared to 18, and broke his face in the process. No you're right, lets talk about the inefficiency Russ has shown, because there isn't anything the guy has done which is an amazing feat which we couldn't talk about instead.

The cookie analogy won me over mr mexican burns, well done

Btw, if you want me to obliterate your last post grammatically, I will . You have some doozies in your run-ons, prepositional errors, past tense & literal misplacement of adverbs & adjectives .
    I type fast, have big fingers, don't spell check & space bar is my friend. I truly never thought of preparing a literary paper on a basketball forum. Frankly because I don't care if someone else types differently or uses signs I don't use . None of that really bothers me if their point is valid. I will try my best to appease all of the English majors on this sight from here on out.
    If you care so little about our opinions, then why post?

If you do care, then take the constructive criticism. Nobody is asking for perfect grammar. It is the form.

You have random ^*)+( and THeN theOCasional WOW, followed by a period that is all the way over here .Thenno spacing betweenwords

Now, if you have Elephantiasis and your fingers are so massive that you can't avoid it, I apologize. But again, look at the sentence above. Do you see how that is distracting? Again, make your content stand out if that is what you want to promote. I imagine another snarky remark is coming when all that is intended on this end is some constructive critique that will make your points stand out even more. So, this will be the last time I try to help. Hopefully you will take this feedback, but if not, that is fine too.

I hate burnt cookies. It really ruins the entire cookie eating experience for me. Not even milk can save those abominations. Like burgers that are cooked more than medium rare, I ain't touching um.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I think this thread premise is a little over the top. Having said that, I had to shake my head this morning after the Thunder/Bulls highlights. They finish the highlights, then go immediately into a segment about how awesome Russell Westbrook is. They actually said, "Yes, the Thunder lost the game, but we still have to talk more about how great Westbrook is." It's at this point that I believe the hype is getting carried away.

Here's what I don't understand about this thread and maybe I'm completely off base and not getting it. Sounds like a few of you guys are wondering why the media are giving Westbrook so much attention, even when his team is losing some of these games. Saying this hype is unwarranted. Personally, I think the guy is playing at an extremely high level. Sorry, I can't blame last night's close loss on him. In my eyes, he was the reason it was even close. It is possible for guys to get on ESPN every night after putting up for triple doubles, even if it leads to a few losses. That's a hell of an accomplishment. No one since players like Jordan has done it. Wins and losses shouldn't be the only factor in TV time or magazine articles.

Quote Originally Posted by fdavila120 View Post
    Here's what I don't understand about this thread and maybe I'm completely off base and not getting it. Sounds like a few of you guys are wondering why the media are giving Westbrook so much attention, even when his team is losing some of these games. Saying this hype is unwarranted. Personally, I think the guy is playing at an extremely high level. Sorry, I can't blame last night's close loss on him. In my eyes, he was the reason it was even close. It is possible for guys to get on ESPN every night after putting up for triple doubles, even if it leads to a few losses. That's a hell of an accomplishment. No one since players like Jordan has done it. Wins and losses shouldn't be the only factor in TV time or magazine articles.
    I, for one, hope he CONTINUES to put up eye-popping numbers and maybe even earns the MVP award if it means that OKC continues to play .500 ball and we beat them out for the 8th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I, for one, hope he CONTINUES to put up eye-popping numbers and maybe even earns the MVP award if it means that OKC continues to play .500 ball and we beat them out for the 8th spot.
    I don't think anybody on this board will disagree with that statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I know most people on here have open minds, as long as you agree w/ them. And others, that have PhD's in English, are having aneurysms over seizure causing grammatical errors.
    The focus of this post is Media hype over brilliant personal accomplishments, that have allowed OKC to play just well enough to lose, He takes tons of shots, thus scores tons of points . So what? I know plenty of players that do that. If his assist & rebounds were 9 & 8 each game, instead of 2 digits, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. His first t/d would have been 20/9/8. His second t/d would have turned into 43/9/8 & that he was 12 for 38 shooting .
    I respect others perception of his accomplishments. His personal accomplishments were super, but it's impossible to quantify what his gawky numbers have positively attributed to his team! He had 7 assist last night; he had 5 of those in the first 6 minutes, 2 assist in the final 3 1/2 quarters. Maybe if would have found Ibaka a few more times, he would have played even greater & maybe they would have won.
    I sure Hall monitor MM approves of my attempt at an acceptable paragraph or two, on a basketball forum !
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-06-2015 at 11:16 AM.

I know most people on here have open minds, as long as you agree w/ them. And others, that have PhD's in English, are having aneurysms over seizure causing grammatical errors.
    The focus of this post is Media hype over brilliant personnel accomplishments, that have allowed OKC to play just well enough to lose, He takes tons of shots, thus scores tons of points . So what? I know plenty of players that do that. If his assist & rebounds were 9 & 8 each game, instead of 2 digits, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. His first t/d would have been 20/9/8. His second t/d would have turned into 43/9/8 & that he was 12 for 38 shooting .
    I respect others perception of his accomplishments. His personnel accomplishments were super, but it's impossible to quantify what his gawky numbers have positively attributed to his team! He had 7 assist last night; he had 5 of those in the first 6 minutes, 2 assist in the final 3 1/2 quarters. Maybe if would have found Ibaka a few more times, he would have played even greater & maybe they would have won.
    I sure Hall monitor MM approves of my attempt at an acceptable paragraph or two, on a basketball forum !
    Here's a few things for you:
    1. The media give Westbrook attention. So what? That's what the media does, draw attention to things. Who else should they be fawning over?
    2. Westbrook is trying his best and has even admitted he needed to trust more, and as recently as last night said he made a bad play by by not passing to Serge. Westbrook agrees that despite big numbers he needs to do better and trust people. What really is the point of all this?
    3. You're being really sensitive about the grammar. The way you've posted is really hard to follow. I don't recall people saying you need to be perfect. So you're really fabricating hurt and insult on that point.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fdavila120 View Post
    I just find it very hard to praise a persons play this much when that play style is essentially taking over a team and ignoring teammates for most of the game and the result of that decision isn't translating to wins.

When Durant went on his tear a year ago(not the exact same thing but career numbers while Westbrook was out) and the media started speculating if Westbrook should be moved the Thunder were on a huge win streak in that stretch. 20-7.

Westbrook has kept them afloat but without Durant he is 12-9. During this recent streak that the media is fawning over endlessly? He is .500. With all his wins against sub .500 teams.

So yeah, its a great individual achievement, but is this style of play conducive to wins and helping build their team chemistry for the playoffs? I don't think it is. which makes me hope he keeps it up

You say he kept them in the game? But there is more to the game then scoring. All that energy spent on scoring and hanging around the rim to get rebounds but what about defense? What about helping get others involved consistently to build confidence for later in the game when you need them?

He let Canaan have a career night against him and Bledsoe was one assist away from his own triple double. Last night he posted a 99 off rating and a 114 def rating. So you are scoring but when you re on the floor - with your 48% usage rate - you and your team are giving up more then you can score on the defensive end.

Those numbers come at a cost and to me that cost is chemistry, defense and role players that can help lift you to victory and put games away because you spent time getting them involved and letting them gain confidence.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-06-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    1. The media give Westbrook attention. So what? That's what the media does, draw attention to things. Who else should they be fawning over?
    2. Westbrook is trying his best and has even admitted he needed to trust more, and as recently as last night said he made a bad play by by not passing to Serge. Westbrook agrees that despite big numbers he needs to do better and trust people. What really is the point of all this?
    3. You're being really sensitive about the grammar. The way you've posted is really hard to follow. I don't recall people saying you need to be perfect. So you're really fabricating hurt and insult on that point.
    Fabricating hurt ? Really?! Only things important enough in life, hurt! This ain't one of em
    I take nothing personal.
    If I had the same opinion as everyone else on a certain subject, then noone would've said peep about typing errors,etc! Everybody happy, all good. It was because I disgreed w/ a poster & he no longer was viable in his argument that he injected all of the mind numbing typing miscues.
    I actually find it comical that unknown faces behind opaque monitors have suddenly become English teachers, basketball aficionados & Psychologist.
    Man, this is supposed to be enjoyable, based on discussion about whatever thread was started.If the thread doesnt intrigue you, then stay out.
    It was a simple thread. It has many many post in it. It drew attention.
    Westbrook is great, fine. The media overhyped as usual, fine. I pointed it out, stated my difference of opinion & it created a rather long & spirited thread. cool ,
    You guys (and gals) are a trip. This is a forum. Its where you go to express an opinion and try and get feedback. It worked!
    But, as far as being sensitive & hurt over criticism coming from self imposed MENSA members, doesnt create even a tip of a red blip on my brain.
    This is an informal gateway to express opinions about basketball. You can agree, you can disagree, you can be indifferent . All good.
    BUT, as far as me giving a rats tail about what other posters feel about my grammar, my opinion et al, . Truly, I dont know any of you from Adam & I enjoy the banter as far as basketball,but when,"because you guys are self proclaimed sharps at everything" start correcting & chastising over such inconsequential and meaningless things; it becomes the Nitpicking Club.

MM ask that I take constructive criticism! Thats like a hog telling a pig not to play in the slop. He doesnt take kindly to any disagreement that someone has with. He takes it as criticism, then tries to expose all f his statistical knowledge in massive doses to prove that the criticism is poppycock.
    And the longer year & higher post members seem to believe that their opinion is gospel. It certainly doesnt make me think that they are wiser than anyone else. Almost the opposite. They have an opinion, its the right opinion & whoever disagrees w/ the opinion is wrong. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Fabricating hurt ? Really?! Only things important enough in life, hurt! This ain't one of em
    I take nothing personal.
    If I had the same opinion as everyone else on a certain subject, then noone would've said peep about typing errors,etc! Everybody happy, all good. It was because I disgreed w/ a poster & he no longer was viable in his argument that he injected all of the mind numbing typing miscues.
    I actually find it comical that unknown faces behind opaque monitors have suddenly become English teachers, basketball aficionados & Psychologist.
    Man, this is supposed to be enjoyable, based on discussion about whatever thread was started.If the thread doesnt intrigue you, then stay out.
    Westbrook is great, fine. The media overhyped as usual, fine. I pointed it out, stated my difference of opinion & it created a rather long & spirited thread. cool ,
    You guys (and gals) are a trip. This is a forum. Its where you go to express an opinion and try and get feedback. It worked!
    But, as far as being sensitive & hurt over criticism coming from self imposed MENSA members, doesnt create even a tip of a red blip on my brain.
    This is an informal gateway to express opinions about basketball. You can agree, you can disagree, you can be indifferent . All good.
    BUT, as far as me giving a rats tail about what other posters feel about my grammar, my opinion et al, . Truly, I dont know any of you from Adam & I enjoy the banter as far as basketball,but when,"because you guys are self proclaimed sharps at everything" start correcting & chastising over such inconsequential and meaningless things; it becomes the Nitpicking Club.

MM ask that I take constructive criticism! Thats like a hog telling a pig not to play in the slop. He doesnt take kindly to any disagreement that someone has with. He takes it as criticism, then tries to expose all f his statistical knowledge in massive doses to prove that the criticism is poppycock.
    And the "Longer Year & Higher Post" members seem to believe that their opinion is gospel. It certainly doesnt make me think that they are wiser than anyone else. Almost the opposite. They have an opinion, its the right opinion & whoever disagrees w/ the opinion is wrong. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-06-2015 at 12:01 PM.

I take nothing personal.

And the longer year & higher post members seem to believe that their opinion is gospel. It certainly doesnt make me think that they are wiser than anyone else. Almost the opposite. They have an opinion, its the right opinion & whoever disagrees w/ the opinion is wrong. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!
    The important thing being pointed out about your post was the format make it distracting and takes away from the topic; which you can use this thread as proof. Instead of discussing the topic we're discussing grammar, english credentials, and now MM's lack of ability to take criticism. You keep saying you didn't take it personally yet you continue to take personal shots at board members here. The thread created did not really cause that much discussion because it's devolved into you explaining what a forum is, discrediting MM more than once which he only pointed out something (while there was another poster who actually corrected your grammar), and discrediting shots at other people who you have failed to name about them saying their opinion is absolute. I haven't seen that before, i have seen people argue their side. Maybe at the end of the day you agree to disagree but that's it. You seem to be taking this very personally on something I think a lot of people would agree on about your posting style.

Thread Information