Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Westbrooks Butt Kissing Media Trip/Dub Fawning! Stats be darn!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Westbrooks Butt Kissing Media Trip/Dub Fawning! Stats be darn!

In the Medias constant fawning over Westbrooks 4 trip/dubs in a row!They Fail to mention that he is 50-122 (40%)!
    He is 3-18 from 3pt range (16%) & 19 Turnovers!Just under 5 per game!So,30.5 shots per game, w/ a blind mans % from 3pt. & 5 TO's per game ! AD's QUALITY stats last night didnt equate to a Trip/dub, but it annihilates Westbrooks QUANTITY trip/dubs. The medias HYPE machine in full gear!

Plus the sixers took them to ot! And yes I know we lost to the same team earlier but we're no thunder!
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

In some sense you have a point. At the same time I don't know that there is another player on the planet that can do what Westbrook is doing right now.

Can we stop crapping on every player that isn't ours?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Can we stop crapping on every player that isn't ours?
    Agree. Westbrook doesn't have to be bad just to prove AD is great.

Personally, I was not a fan of Westbrook or Harden coming into this season, but what they have each done is nothing short of amazing.
    @mcnamara247

How many points did this guy have against us ? Like 80 points in 2 games? Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agree. Westbrook doesn't have to be bad just to prove AD is great.

Personally, I was not a fan of Westbrook or Harden coming into this season, but what they have each done is nothing short of amazing.
    So, his stats the past four games have done what, exactly? They are 2-2 w/ an overtime win against Philly (at home)! Is it the Double Digit behind the triple that WOWS you? What if it was 8 assist & 8 rebounds every game instead of 2 digits? He is a QUANTITY guy! Maybe they go 3-1 instead of 2-2 if he takes 4-5 less shots per game at 40%. TRIPLE-DOUBLE. when you shoot 40%, taking over 30 shots per game & committing 5 TO.s per game doesnt seem as WOWing to me as it does others.
    BTW, MM> NOBODY said Westbrook was bad & it wasn't a comparison to make AD good! Strawman argument! I just think his trip/dubs are overhyped because of his shot & turnover ratios & OKC's overall play during the 4 games.
    Last edited by Tinman; 03-05-2015 at 11:49 AM.

You have got to be kidding me with the post. This is purely hating on a player not in Pelicans jersey. Has Russ turned OKC into 1 man show the past handful of games? Absolutely. The same guy also has that team ahead of us for the time being in the Playoffs race. Props to him for what's he done to keep his team alive this season. The dude is playing right now with a broken face! Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by fdavila120 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me with the post. This is purely hating on a player not in Pelicans jersey. Has Russ turned OKC into 1 man show the past handful of games? Absolutely. The same guy also has that team ahead of us for the time being in the Playoffs race. Props to him for what's he done to keep his team alive this season. The dude is playing right now with a broken face! Geez.
    When Westbrook takes 20 shots or fewer OKC is 19-4 ! When he takes 25 shots or more, OKC is 6-8 ! Be real, nobody is hating on Westbrook > He is better for his team when he's not the only guy in the offensive scheme > He's a great player & would be even greater if he made other players around him better . But he doesn't ! He runs it Russells way & that is Full steam ahead. His triple/doubles are strictly personal feats that, by record, shows are not as POSITIVE for his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    When Westbrook takes 20 shots or fewer OKC is 19-4 ! When he takes 25 shots or more, OKC is 6-8 ! Be real, nobody is hating on Westbrook > He is better for his team when he's not the only guy in the offensive scheme > He's a great player & would be even greater if he made other players around him better . But he doesn't ! He runs it Russells way & that is Full steam ahead. His triple/doubles are strictly personal feats that, by record, shows are not as POSITIVE for his team.
    To your point, if Westbrook goes all out for another triple-double tonight against the Bulls, they'll probably go home with a loss. I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    To your point, if Westbrook goes all out for another triple-double tonight against the Bulls, they'll probably go home with a loss. I'm good with that.
    Here, Here !

I agree. Westbrook is greatly overrated with MVP talk. He has been good no doubt (can't over look his assists and rebounds) but his offensive game is worse than Kobe's this year and everyone was taking a massive dump on him earlier in the year.

40%, 16%, and 5TOs a game should not be overlooked because of raw numbers.

As much as I don't like Harden the dude is on a totally different level than Westbrook.

The guy is straight up ballin' this season. Top 5 level stuff. I don't think it takes a media credential to realize that and trust me, I'm not drinking any kool-aid. Just going off of what I've seen.

The guy is straight up ballin' this season. Top 5 level stuff. I don't think it takes a media credential to realize that and trust me, I'm not drinking any kool-aid. Just going off of what I've seen.
    Do you see RAW stats ! Is 40% ballin,? is 5 TO's a game ballin,? is 16% from 3pt ballin ? Hes taking over 30 shot per game ! You may call it ballin, I call it ballinhoggin. Look, the guy obviously doesnt realize that its better for his team when others are involved & he continues to be "BALLIN", while his team is 6-8 when he's ballin> When he's ballinsharin, they are 19-4. Last night AD was QUALITY ballin ! Westbrook is QUANTITY ballin.

I've never been a Westbrook fan and never will be. There's enough info on threads that I've posted to verify that. But dude is freaking balling out. I don't care who're playing 4 triple D's get props all day.

Now excuse me while I go throw up.

I think it's a little overboard, but I agree with OP's premise. I think the constant contradictions in the trend towards efficient basketball combined with the glorification of raw per-game stats like this is a big issue.

Don't get me wrong, Russ has ascended to another level this year, but it's all about what my team looks like as to whether I'd choose him over Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Monta Ellis, even Jeff teague (Esp. taking salary into concern).

In a player comparison between those players, Russ is first in Points, Assists, Rebounds, steals, PER, VORP, FTrate, among other things.... seems like a no brainer.

He also has the highest usage by a 10 point margin, the worst FG and 3p%, attempts 5 more shots than the next closest guy, and is 2nd worst in TOV%.

If I don't have a top 20 player on my team, I take Russ 100% of the time. But, I'm not so sure you can win championships with someone that inefficient taking that amount of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    I think it's a little overboard, but I agree with OP's premise. I think the constant contradictions in the trend towards efficient basketball combined with the glorification of raw per-game stats like this is a big issue.

Don't get me wrong, Russ has ascended to another level this year, but it's all about what my team looks like as to whether I'd choose him over Chris Paul, Klay Thompson, Monta Ellis, even Jeff teague (Esp. taking salary into concern).

In a player comparison between those players, Russ is first in Points, Assists, Rebounds, steals, PER, VORP, FTrate, among other things.... seems like a no brainer.

He also has the highest usage by a 10 point margin, the worst FG and 3p%, attempts 5 more shots than the next closest guy, and is 2nd worst in TOV%.

If I don't have a top 20 player on my team, I take Russ 100% of the time. But, I'm not so sure you can win championships with someone that inefficient taking that amount of shots.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quantity is nice and gets the headlines and on the right team it makes sense but to make it into what I would call the elite category, you have to be able to marry quantity with quality. Guys like Durant, Lebron, Davis, Curry and CP3 do that.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-05-2015 at 01:47 PM.

I see your stats and obviously, analytics are great for comparing players. They don't measure intangibles, passion, and leadership. If you're watching the NBA right now and failing to notice Westbrook basically keep OKC (by himself while Durant is out) in that 8th spot, then oh well.

I see your stats and obviously, analytics are great for comparing players. They don't measure intangibles, passion, and leadership. If you're watching the NBA right now and failing to notice Westbrook basically keep OKC (by himself while Durant is out) in that 8th spot, then oh well.
    I mean, it's not like I'm comparing him to a replacement level player.... or Choosing whether to keep him or Reggie Jackson or something. At this level, lots of players have those intangibles. What about Chris Paul keeping the Clips winning without blake? Or Klay making the necessary leap for the Warriors to become a true championship caliber team, or Monta quietly becoming the Mavs best player as they improve significantly from last year. And they're all better than the Thunder.

This isn't smash or pass, there's lots of grey. I'll take Draymond's 23, 12, 5, 3 and 3 on 9-14 every day, but that's just me.

Guys, why are we getting hung up on this? We are already seeing the residuals of AD being back, ESPN is creating stats to exaggerate his greatness just like they do with KD and Lebron. We are entering a golden age of New Orleans basketball. Let's not spend time dwelling on what Westbrook is/isn't doing.

Besides, if Westbrook were here putting up those numbers you (people complaining) would say he wasn't getting enough props, and he should be in first place for the MVP race (for reference see 2008 season when Kobe won the MVP over CP3).

Btw, for further proof as to how big a crock the MVP is look no further than Kobe. Better part of two decades causing teams to crap their pants, and he only has 1 MVP trophy.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 03-05-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

The flaw is assuming that he will stay this Westbrook with Durant on the court.

He is doing everything he needs to do with what he has to stay afloat.

Averaging .76 shots per minute without Durant, .53 with him. Nearly a 33% percent drop.

He has done what he has to do, and I don't know if any other player in this league could have done what he has done. Now, I'd rather have Curry than him if they want to win the title this year, but you should be judged on the situation you are in, not some hypothetical one

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    In the Medias constant fawning over Westbrooks 4 trip/dubs in a row!They Fail to mention that he is 50-122 (40%)!
    He is 3-18 from 3pt range (16%) & 19 Turnovers!Just under 5 per game!So,30.5 shots per game, w/ a blind mans % from 3pt. & 5 TO's per game ! AD's QUALITY stats last night didnt equate to a Trip/dub, but it annihilates Westbrooks QUANTITY trip/dubs. The medias HYPE machine in full gear!
    I dislike how you only post selective stats. It bothers me.

He has 122 shots, yes. But he has 149 total points.

You say he has 5 turnovers per game because you assume everyone here is too lazy to find his total assists number, which is 42 assists vs 19 turnovers. A 2.21 assist to turnover ratio is fine with me. Especially with how aggressive of a player he is.

I also don't understand your core point. The media swoons over Westbrook but you're comparing him to AD? The media LOVES AD. They're completely infatuated by him and SportsCenter instantly tweeted saying "HE'S BACK" with his pic and stats posted. They always talk about him and write about him. These are poor points.

Does Westbrook shoot too much sometimes? Yea. But without Durant, that team is full of timid role players. You want Waiters shooting? If Ibaka's shot isn't falling on a particular night, his offensive game is done. He's got Roberson? Terrible on offense. The team, for better or worse, is built to ride the backs of two players, Westbrook and Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Guys, why are we getting hung up on this? We are already seeing the residuals of AD being back, ESPN is creating stats to exaggerate his greatness just like they do with KD and Lebron. We are entering a golden age of New Orleans basketball. Let's not spend time dwelling on what Westbrook is/isn't doing.

Besides, if Westbrook were here putting up those numbers you (people complaining) would say he wasn't getting enough props, and he should be in first place for the MVP race (for reference see 2008 season when Kobe won the MVP over CP3).

Btw, for further proof as to how big a crock the MVP is look no further than Kobe. Better part of two decades causing teams to crap their pants, and he only has 1 MVP trophy.
    The MVP is a sham, I'll give you that (Lookin at you, Steve), but I don't agree that we'd be exaggerating him if he was here.

In the pseudo-similar comparison of Tyreke, Jimmy Butler, Wesley Matthews.... Tyreke's stats are arguably #1.

Now who here wouldn't trade Tyreke for either of them?

Also, I wouldn't call it a hang-up..... just a conversation...

Also, AD got 39 points from 30 shots. Nobody's complaining about that. That's 1.3 points per shot taken vs Westbrooks 1.22 points per shot taken over the 4 game triple double stretch. And this is in NO WAY comparing the two talent wise. I LOVE AD. Have season tix. But come on. People are disregarding the elite level of 4 straight triple doubles. Oh he's 2-2. So what? This team, with people healthy, has lost some horrible games despite really good performances. It happens.

Their 2 losses were on the road vs 2 solid western conference teams and were close games or overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The flaw is assuming that he will stay this Westbrook with Durant on the court.

He is doing everything he needs to do with what he has to stay afloat.

Averaging .76 shots per minute without Durant, .53 with him. Nearly a 33% percent drop.

He has done what he has to do, and I don't know if any other player in this league could have done what he has done. Now, I'd rather have Curry than him if they want to win the title this year, but you should be judged on the situation you are in, not some hypothetical one
    That's understandable, and you can't chastise him for ramping up his shots with Durant out, but I'm looking at him in Aggregate.... his whole season. Russ is who Russ is, a very high usage player with comparatively low shooting percentages who turns the ball over a lot. I look at him as the modern day Iverson, and I feel the same way about both. I don't know if you can win a championship if 30 of your shots are coming that inefficiently.

Thread Information