Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dante Cunningham

Dante Cunningham

I'm all for the mid-range game, but for some reason this guy insists on taking the deepest 2's possible. Why not step back a few inches and shoot a 3?
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

It is baffling. It has to be mental. Analytics says a slightly inefficient shot from a good area is better then an efficient shot from an inefficient area most of the time. Maybe he isn't a 35% three point shooter but Id rather him take a corner three at 30% then a long 2 at 45%.

Yeah in 10 shots he will get 9 points from either region at those percentages but analytics says three point shots have a higher propensity to get offensively rebounded, easier to get back on defense and it creates better spacing. So take the three!!

Right now he is a 41% catch and shoot 2 point player. So even if he shoots at 27% from three he is better off taking the three given the other benefits of a three over a long two.

He practices 3's pre game all the time. Not there yet
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise
    His mid-range shot is good and it works for him. He's more comfortable there. He's a smart player and plays within himself and isn't trying to hit home runs and I'm good with that. Shots beyond the arc only count for three points if they're made. So if he makes two point field goals, they count as well.
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    He practices 3's pre game all the time. Not there yet
    Well at least he is aware of where he needs to go with his game. That is good.

Dante Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by RENFO View Post
    His mid-range shot is good and it works for him. He's more comfortable there. He's a smart player and plays within himself and isn't trying to hit home runs and I'm good with that. Shots beyond the arc only count for three points if they're made. So if he makes two point field goals, they count as well.
    Mind = Blown
    Last edited by Sleeper; 03-04-2015 at 11:29 PM.

I think a lot of people who play basketball know how it feels to have one full step back out of your comfort zone, easier said than done for sure.

I don't mind his shots from the top of the key, but on his corner shots he is so close to the line just take one step back lol. But he is no were near as bad as Darius Songaila dude always you to shoot with his foot on the 3 point line.

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    I think a lot of people who play basketball know how it feels to have one full step back out of your comfort zone, easier said than done for sure.
    I guess as someone who always was a pretty good shooter I never understood guys that couldn't learn to shoot. I mean, I get it, I get the science of it, I know that some people, no matter the form, just don't have that ability.

But I just don't get how the guy has made a bunch of long two 21-23 footers near the top of the arc at a decent rate and a bunch of shots near the corner three line but doesnt feel comfortable taking some 22 foot corner threes. We are literally talking a handful of inches.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-04-2015 at 11:59 PM.

I played ball in college, like on a few instances he's not even a full foot in front of the line. He also misses a good bit of these super deep 2's too, I just don't see how when he's inches literally away from a 3, how a 2 is a better shot. I have no problem with his midrange game.
    Last edited by dcoop; 03-05-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I guess as someone who always was a pretty good shooter I never understood guys that couldn't learn to shoot. I mean, I get it, I get the science of it, I know that some people, no matter the form, just don't have that ability.

But I just don't get how the guy has made a bunch of long two 21-23 footers near the top of the arc at a decent rate and a bunch of shots near the corner three line but doesnt feel comfortable taking some 22 foot corner threes. We are literally talking a handful of inches.
    haha, basically we had the same post. I agree 100 %

i agree with you on this. Even when i'm just shooting around i'm fairly consistent from 3, but taking a couple steps back my % starts to drop.

i agree with you on this. Even when i'm just shooting around i'm fairly consistent from 3, but taking a couple steps back my % starts to drop.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RENFO View Post
    +1K

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    haha, basically we had the same post. I agree 100 %
    Something tells me you guys are guards. Not to muddle this, because he's a pro basketball player and has shooting coaches and all that, but I played PF my whole life (and modeled my game off D West for most of the time he was here). I'm money from the elbows and 17 foot corners, but the way I shoot the ball, my range is maxed out at about 20 feet. I'd have to change the mechanics of my whole shot to shoot the 3.

Am i the only one who had more problems with corner 3s than with anything else? i made more field goals from midcourt than from the corners. And i mean, i didn't shoot badly from 3, better than from 2, but put me in the corners and bam, nothing

DC's shooting is certainly eligible for discussion, but what is written in concrete is his effect on the overall game when he comes into the lineup. Best example last night against Detroit, when he entered along with Ajinca. There was a steal, a block, a pickup of a loose ball and a hockey pass on a fast break and suddenly the Pels were challenging and then taking the lead. They say an old dog can be trained to change habits, but I don't know about an old NBA dog in his sixth season. Enjoy him for what he is -- or isn't. Oh, by the way: the guy who holds the Minnesota record for most consecutive field goals in a single game with nine is Dante Cunnngham.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Am i the only one who had more problems with corner 3s than with anything else? i made more field goals from midcourt than from the corners. And i mean, i didn't shoot badly from 3, better than from 2, but put me in the corners and bam, nothing
    haha honestly even from a young age the corner three was like my go-to in HORSE and stuff because I could almost always hit it while other kids couldn't. I hated the straight on three and top of the key jumpshots for the longest time until I corrected my shooting form.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoop View Post
    I'm all for the mid-range game, but for some reason this guy insists on taking the deepest 2's possible. Why not step back a few inches and shoot a 3?
    I think he should take a step closer and that'll boost his percentage. ....IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I think he should take a step closer and that'll boost his percentage. ....IMO
    He steps that far out to spread the floor.
    Teams know he isn't a 3 point threat so if he took jumpers just outside the key
    rather than just inside the the 3 point line it would crowd the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    +1K
    Those edges add up, though. If he doesn't feel like he can make them and can't, then by all means take the shots you can make. These games aren't for experiment. But if he could learn to step out a few feet, it could make a huge difference (and considering how he defends, IMO, it would make him a lot of money, too).

dudes shooting career best from 3, you guys are insatiable.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    Something tells me you guys are guards. Not to muddle this, because he's a pro basketball player and has shooting coaches and all that, but I played PF my whole life (and modeled my game off D West for most of the time he was here). I'm money from the elbows and 17 foot corners, but the way I shoot the ball, my range is maxed out at about 20 feet. I'd have to change the mechanics of my whole shot to shoot the 3.
    Also as someone who probably never had to pay attention to where 3 point line is, theoretically even if its not any further out from his comfort zone, having to pay attention to the 3 point at the corner since its so narrow can be a factor as well imo.
    Last edited by joetzeng; 03-06-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Also as someone who probably never had to pay attention to where 3 point line is, theoretically even if its not any further our from his comfort zone, having to pay attention to the 3 point at the corner since its so narrow can be a factor as well imo.
    You're right. He only played center at Guard U (Villanova)

Thread Information