Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norris Cole w/ the Pels

Norris Cole w/ the Pels

Small sample size but thru 3 games averaging 27.5 minutes here are his numbers:

13 PPG - 4 APG - 3 RPG - 1 TOPG
    44% from 3
    57% from the field

per 36: 17.5 ppg - 6.5 apg - 4.5 apg
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 02-26-2015 at 07:38 AM.

He won't stay this hot but I'm actually impressed by his jumper/long range shot. It's certainly not "bad" and he could have had a shot selection problem in MIA.

He's been the exact type of backup guard we need: quick/decisive/can control the offense and a very solid defender.

I'd be happy with 7-9 PPG with 3 asts and a shooting line of 43/35/75-80.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    He was a consistent 20 minute guy on a championship team. Obviously that was due to necessity, but the fact remains that he was a key rotation player on a championship team in both the regular season and playoffs. Can't say that for anyone else on this team.

For a backup PG, I think you could do a lot worse and considering all he cost was John Salmons, I'm glad to have him on the team. Again, he cost us JOHN SALMONS.

If he plays well for the rest of the year, I'd be happy to have him serve as backup PG for the next few years. Like I said, he has good playoff experience and is at the right age.

I've been critical of some of Dell's moves (specifically the Tyreke sign and trade) but this year he's done a really nice job filling in the role players with Q-Pon, DC and now Cole along with last year's pickups of Ajinca and Babbitt.

Not to completely sidetrack the thread, but I would like to see us now try to improve the starting 3 spot by flipping Ryno and having DC and Babbitt fill in Ryno's minutes. That's just what I would do, curious to see what other people think since backup PG was what everyone was calling for before the deadline and we seem to potentially have found an answer.

I think the rest of this season is going to be interesting and Ryno and Jrue being hurt may have a silver lining for this franchise.

If Babbitt can sustain his level of play we will essentielly have found a guy that has been more efficient in Ryno's role albeit not having the same ceiling game to game or overall, but enough as such that If we trade Ryno we won't drop off a cliff in the bench stretch 4 department. I mean we could probably lock Babbitt up for 1-2 million a year for 2 years if we want.

That should give Demps some comfort that if he goes that route(trading Ryno) he doesn't have to bring back a 4 in a deal as insurance for Davis.

Cole is going to continue to get his chance to show if he deserves a longer term place on this team and in Jrue absence is going to give this team the oppurtunity we otherwise wouldn't have to try out our potential back up PG of next season.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-26-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Monty has to increase his minutes

In his post game interview when Jen asked him about his double digit scoring he was quick to point out he came out of college averaging over 20ppg. The way he talked he seemed to say that it might have been partly the system he was in at Miami that caused him to not be utilized on offense as much.

Who knows if that's actually true, but if coming here has given him confidence in himself again then that is great for us. Best thing is his 4-1 Assist to TO ratio. Give me solid defense and that as a backup and I am happy.

I assume we pick up his QO next year for ~$3M.

I know my opinion means nothing but I really want Dell back next season - he tweaked this bench from nothing to something without sacrificing any real assets

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post

I know my opinion means nothing but I really want Dell back next season - he tweaked this bench from nothing to something without sacrificing any real assets
    Dell has always been good at finding role players at a low cost. It's the big moves and the overall philosophy that are always the contention.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Dell has always been good at finding role players at a low cost. It's the big moves and the overall philosophy that are always the contention.
    Dell isn't the problem. It's monty
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    In his post game interview when Jen asked him about his double digit scoring he was quick to point out he came out of college averaging over 20ppg. The way he talked he seemed to say that it might have been partly the system he was in at Miami that caused him to not be utilized on offense as much.

Who knows if that's actually true, but if coming here has given him confidence in himself again then that is great for us. Best thing is his 4-1 Assist to TO ratio. Give me solid defense and that as a backup and I am happy.
    I very much agree. Cole has been the nicest surprise this season.

As much as I like guys like Cuningham I knew how good he was as a role player but Cole has been a nice surprise.

Hope he can sustain it because that is the key.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-26-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post

this is what i foudn on wiki: For first-round draft picks, restricted free agency is only allowed after a team exercises its option for a fourth year, and the team makes a Qualifying Offer at the Rookie-scale amount after the fourth year is completed. For any other player to be a restricted free agent, he must be at most a three-year NBA veteran, and his team must have made a Qualifying Offer for either 125% of his previous season's salary or the minimum salary plus $200,000, whichever offer is higher.[10]

here is his QO: 3.2 Mil

yeah that is a no brainer as of now...he has been money and our bench is looking to be good and ready for a deep playoff run if we can get our starters to be quality and healthy
    The Only way to get ahead is to get started.....What you waiting for!

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Dell isn't the problem. It's monty
    I am not the biggest fan of either so I'd say that is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I think the rest of this season is going to be interesting and Ryno and Jrue being hurt may have a silver lining for this franchise.

If Babbitt can sustain his level of play we will essentielly have found a guy that has been more efficient in Ryno's role albeit not having the same ceiling game to game or overall, but enough as such that If we trade Ryno we won't drop off a cliff in the bench stretch 4 department. I mean we could probably lock Babbitt up for 1-2 million a year for 2 years if we want.

That should give Demps some comfort that if he goes that route(trading Ryno) he doesn't have to bring back a 4 in a deal as insurance for Davis.

Cole is going to continue to get his chance to show if he deserves a longer term place on this team and in Jrue absence is going to give this team the oppurtunity we otherwise wouldn't have to try out our potential back up PG of next season.

I agree with all of this. Babbit is growing and we aren't hurting. This will make (should need be) a move of Ryno for a legit sf less of an issue on our end.

Cole has been quite a surprise, and while it is only 3 games, I very much like what he has done. I imagine we bring him back next year and focus all of our attention on getting a legit 3 this offseason. Being that Cole, QPon, Cunningham, and Ajinca are a solid backup unit, you can move Ryno, net a solid sf, and then get that backup to lock into the 10th chamber.

But who will be making those decisions this offseason is the question.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

To me, you don't move Ryno if you think there is a 75% chance or more that he will return to old form. Trading him now would be selling low if you believe that.

Personally, I have seen a ton of guys who are far better two years removed from a major injury. Remember, Anderson barely did anything this summer. No conditioning, nothing. I expect this summer to be far different for him and for him to be the guy he was pre-injury starting next season. Since I believe that, I likely wouldn't trade Ryno because the offers will be far lower than my expectations of his play next year.
    @mcnamara247

agree, i'm not trading ryno now because he has prob 50% of his real trade value, u hope he returns to form and resigns i guess.

I wouldn't trade Ryno if it was for small parts either. Nobody is selling him for pennies or nickels on the dollar, but if the right offer comes along ("Hi, this is Sam Henckie, and I am interested in moving Joel Embiid for Ryan Anderson") I would do it. That said, it's not likely to happen.

This all ties back to Cole in that, if you do move Ryno you lock in a good sf, and a 10 spot bench guy to play with Cole, QPON, Ajinca, and (if he returns) Cunningham. It would have to be the right deal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    He won't stay this hot but I'm actually impressed by his jumper/long range shot. It's certainly not "bad" and he could have had a shot selection problem in MIA.

He's been the exact type of backup guard we need: quick/decisive/can control the offense and a very solid defender.

I'd be happy with 7-9 PPG with 3 asts and a shooting line of 43/35/75-80.
    This!

Totally agree on Ryan. He's a depreciated asset at this point and I think it would be a sucker play to move him this offseason. It looks more and more like the critical roster juncture for the Pels will be next year's trading deadline, where (hopefully) Ryan and Gordon will have highest value. Still think that deal has to bring us our starting SF. Also agree Dell has done a great job rounding out the bench in-season. If you look at Dell overall you can't question his tactical roster moves during the campaign. His strategic vision is still a question mark...

You can't question Dels ability to round out a roster. Few do it better, and those few are gm's of title contending teams (SA, GS, OKC), but the way in which he fills those starting 5 spots (which is what NO Bronco is eluding to) do open up more questions.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You can't question Dels ability to round out a roster. Few do it better, and those few are gm's of title contending teams (SA, GS, OKC), but the way in which he fills those starting 5 spots (which is what NO Bronco is eluding to) do open up more questions.
    This is only questioned because of injuries to the team not actual player talent.

Until healthy, and you have a large enough sample size of them playing together, yes, it is still a matter of player talent.

But the bench is solid.

Until healthy, and you have a large enough sample size of them playing together, yes, it is still a matter of player talent.

But the bench is solid.
    So wait. It's acceptable to say players aren't talented until healthy and show it but not at all acceptable to say they are talented until healthy and shown to not be talented? Gtfo.

Do not follow.

Repeat again.

The way I read it is players are talented when healthy, I want them to prove they aren't talented when they are?

No, I am saying give me a larger sample size than 12 games when the team has played together, and accomplished something. Is more than 12 games to much to ask before we start making assumptions as to how good we have it?
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 02-26-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Do not follow.

Repeat again.

The way I read it is players are talented when healthy, I want them to prove they aren't talented when they are?

No, I am saying give me a larger sample size than 12 games when the team has played together, and accomplished something. Is more than 12 games to much to ask before we start making assumptions as to how good we have it?
    My point was why is it more acceptable to say people are not talented while injured instead of saying they are talented while injured?

Because talent diminishes when injured. Want proof, see Ryno this season. Not quite the same guy he was prior to his injury correct? The talent might still be there, but it also might have disappeared. Injuries have a funny way of robbing one of once present talents.

Thread Information