Pelicans Report

Thread: Norris Cole Stats and Defensive Ranking

Norris Cole Stats and Defensive Ranking

Before I get to how well he is playing for us there is one thing I would like to point out like I already have with all the other players that come to the pelicans from different teams.

Norris Cole for the Heat averaged a defensive ranking of 107, and now with the Pels, it is at 112...

Anyways back to his stats:

Thru 6 games at 27 minutes a game: 12 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, while shooting 47% from the field.

Per 36: 16 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Before I get to how well he is playing for us there is one thing I would like to point out like I already have with all the other players that come to the pelicans from different teams.

Norris Cole for the Heat averaged a defensive ranking of 107, and now with the Pels, it is at 112...

Anyways back to his stats:

Thru 6 games at 27 minutes a game: 12 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, while shooting 47% from the field.

Per 36: 16 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds
    It wouldn't be a guru post without Per 36, i applaud you.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    It wouldn't be a guru post without Per 36, i applaud you.
    Couldn't let my fans down.

someone (I think on tigerdroppings Pelicans Talk board) said statistically (using some +/- stat... I forget which 1 currently) Q-Pon & Cole made a 0.0 difference since joining the team... meaning they made no impact on the team positively or negatively

the eye test says differently
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    someone (I think on tigerdroppings Pelicans Talk board) said statistically (using some +/- stat... I forget which 1 currently) Q-Pon & Cole made a 0.0 difference since joining the team... meaning they made no impact on the team positively or negatively

the eye test and the record haha

+/- is a very poor stat to use for judgements.

+/- is a very poor stat to use for judgements.
    think thats what he was trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    think thats what he was trying to say
    It was and i was saying:

It was and i was saying:

hahahahaha

I had a post that was pointing out how advanced numbers often don't tell the story because according to VORP, their combined number was 0.0 - which is obviously a joke given how we have all seen with our eyes the impact they have made.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I had a post that was pointing out how advanced numbers often don't tell the story because according to VORP, their combined number was 0.0 - which is obviously a joke given how we have all seen with our eyes the impact they have made.
    sorry MM... I apparently haven't had enough coffee yet this AM

but yes... Q-Pon & Cole have been major pick-ups for the Pelicans

It was and i was saying:

gimme my back back BSH

Pondexter's pre Pelicans stats were very lack luster too, but what we need from him doesn't show up in the box score. There is no stat for directing teammates to the right play, something we've seen both Pondexter and Cole do. There is no stat for a winning attitude that keeps a team from quitting on itself.

Overall I like Cole, in many ways he reminds a bit of a smaller Jrue, but he plays a bit out of control at times. I'm hoping that Holiday can help hone Cole's talents, and maybe some of Cole's aggression will rub off on Jrue.

I hope that Norris can sell his brother on coming to play for the Saints. We could name a small part of town (perhaps Pigeon Town) Coleville.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Pondexter's pre Pelicans stats were very lack luster too, but what we need from him doesn't show up in the box score. There is no stat for directing teammates to the right play, something we've seen both Pondexter and Cole do. There is no stat for a winning attitude that keeps a team from quitting on itself.

Overall I like Cole, in many ways he reminds a bit of a smaller Jrue, but he plays a bit out of control at times. I'm hoping that Holiday can help hone Cole's talents, and maybe some of Cole's aggression will rub off on Jrue.
    exactly, q-pon makes the team better as a whole.

I can now understand why a team would be willing to give up on key bench player from a title winning team.

I just got off the phone with my brother in Miami, and he is saying that every time the sports radio programs got to talking about the Heat people would call in with pure frustration with Cole. Just as they are surprised with Whiteside they were equally disapointed with Cole. He was taking bad shots, and just not all there (perhaps from the breaking up of the Heatles). But since coming to New Orleans he has been night and day (in terms of play and demeanor). I can understand a team knowing when it's time to let go of a player, but I am glad we were the lucky recipients of his disfavor.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I can now understand why a team would be willing to give up on key bench player from a title winning team.

I just got off the phone with my brother in Miami, and he is saying that every time the sports radio programs got to talking about the Heat people would call in with pure frustration with Cole. Just as they are surprised with Whiteside they were equally disapointed with Cole. He was taking bad shots, and just not all there (perhaps from the breaking up of the Heatles). But since coming to New Orleans he has been night and day (in terms of play and demeanor). I can understand a team knowing when it's time to let go of a player, but I am glad we were the lucky recipients of his disfavor.
    Yeah talking to some Heat fans it was pretty much agreed upon Cole was bust and disappointment.

I personally think there is something to the comment Jen reported during the other game about cole feeling the reins were taken off here and he was given more offensive freedom and it opened up his game for him. Maybe Miami was trying t force Cole into being something he isn't??

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Is there any advanced metric for our transition game specifically? Because one thing I've noticed that is far better than before is our fastbreaks. Q-Pon moves the ball extremely well and spaces the floor appropriately.

Thread Information