13 17.81%
  • Holiday

46 63.01%
  • It's still too early

14 19.18%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Noel or Holiday

Noel or Holiday

Assuming both are healthy who would you prefer on this team at this moment (and in the long haul)? It's still very early in Noels career but he's been progressing very quickly, he's only 20. I also saw some where that he was among league leaders in shots altered at the rim. I love what Holiday brings as much as the next guy and I was also a big advocate of the trade, but as of late i'm starting to feel like we may have gotten the short end of the stick here.

edit: I tried to post a poll with this but I failed pretty bad.

2nd edit: nvm, got it.

3rd edit: Turns out Noel has been below average in defending post up situations but he's a premiere P&R defender, still a lot to like and he's very young as is jrue of course.
    Last edited by dcoop; 03-15-2015 at 08:31 AM.
    looking for team to bandwagon, pls help

I rather Gobert
    Last edited by HalfBreed; 03-15-2015 at 07:19 AM.

I buggest problem is perimeter D and holiday helps that. Noel does the same thing AD does but can exert more effort on the defensive end because he has no offensive game.

1-6

I'd still go with Jrue. Noel plays the same position as AD. I know he can play center at times, but realistically who plays a 195 lb center consistently in this league

At this point in that trade, you can say it's a push. Neither player has wowed anyone.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    I rather Gobert
    Me too.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I voted it's too early but I have to say that my fears of this trade biting us in the *** are sort of being realized.

If we are honest with ourselves jrue has basically been a non-factor for this team. He has been on the court about as much as Gordon was his first few years here.

Noel is posting 12 points, 11 rebounds, 2.8 blocks and 2.8 steals since the Allstar break. He is a bit undersized at 220ish but his speed makes up for some of it and like davis adds another layer of defense most players just don't have. His ability to switch onto PG's in the pick and role helps their defense and his closing speed, like davis, who can get to the perimeter in a flash is a huge asset imo.

Grantland has a nice article pushing for The case as Noel as rookie of the year.

Advanced metrics support the eye test. Noel’s Defensive Box Plus/Minus ranking is second in the NBA, his Defensive Rating is eighth, and, according to SportVU player tracking, opponents shoot only 45 percent at the basket against him, which places him in elite rim-protector territory. The Sixers surrender 99.5 points per 100 possessions when he’s on the floor — which is slightly better than the Rockets and Blazers, the third- and fourth-best defenses in the league. He’s the primary reason Philly’s defense has jumped from 27th last year to 12th this season — and it plunges back down when he leaves the hardwood, according to NBA.com
    http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ne...e-of-the-year/
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-15-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    I rather Gobert
    I rather young Shaq

I still hold the same position that I did when the trade went down. We gave up far too much for a slightly above average point guard. Don't get me wrong, I like Jrue as a player and as a person but his price was way too high.

At this point Jrue may be a better player but he's also getting something like $7 million more a season. With the way Nerlens is progressing he looks like he may become one of the premier defenders in the NBA and prove exactly why I hated this trade so much.

jury still out imo.

I would say Holiday. He provides good perimeter defense. Noel had improved but not enough in my opinion. Based on his first few years, there is no way anybody could have predicted Jrue being injured this much. If it wasn't for injuries would we even be asking this question. I doubt it.

To answer the question without a doubt it's Noel. He's the only one playing at the moment.

I haven't seen Noel enough to say if he could be the defensive anchor next to AD, and he hasn't really played a meaningful game yet, and had his own injury concerns coming into the league. Plus Jrue hasn't had a ton of time to mesh with the Pelicans on the court.

It's too early to say
    Last edited by speedyG; 03-15-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Hindsight being 20/20, I'd rather Noel (or whoever the 2013 pick could have been), my 2014 pick, and $8m in salary space to spend on a free agent.

Could we have gotten Jeff Teague instead of Jrue? Brandon Jennings? Isaiah Thomas?

We could've drafted MCW, kept Vasquez and Lopez, drafted Nurkic with our 2014 pick, had more cap flexibility going forward, in addition to having our 2015 pick as a valuable trade chip still in our possession. Could've put us in the Dragic, Green, Knight, Thomas, etc sweepstakes for this season.

So yes, hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to say you don't make the Jrue trade. It's questionable whether he's played at the level of 2 lottery picks when healthy, he's going to be a free agent when we're making a serious run, and his health is now a serious question.

I thought his play would expedite AD's development, but he hasn't been available enough to get credit for AD's development. AD is just a beast.
    Last edited by NMThreeMVP; 03-15-2015 at 02:15 PM.

The Franchise
    Holiday all day, everyday. Everyday is a Holiday!
    HANGIN' IN THE PELICANS ROOST!!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuture View Post
    I rather young Shaq
    The two are just as likely.

To those stating Jrue, let me make something clear to you.

You are not a better fan just because you refused to admit the truth to yourself. You are not a better fan because you cannot admit that our beloved team makes mistakes. (They are not run by robots yet are they?)

Noel needs a lot of work, but he seems to have a very bright future.

Considering the actual play time, future injury issues, salary, and potential ceiling.... only those blinded by "fandom" cannot see the truth.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Who cares whose better? Would you rather have the 76ers roster or the Pelicans roster? The team is what the team is. Just enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    The two are just as likely.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveMind View Post
    Who cares whose better? Would you rather have the 76ers roster or the Pelicans roster? The team is what the team is. Just enjoy it.
    If we aren't supposed to discuss matters of this team then it kind of defeats the purpose of a message board about the team doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    To those stating Jrue, let me make something clear to you.

You are not a better fan just because you refused to admit the truth to yourself. You are not a better fan because you cannot admit that our beloved team makes mistakes. (They are not run by robots yet are they?)

Noel needs a lot of work, but he seems to have a very bright future.

Considering the actual play time, future injury issues, salary, and potential ceiling.... only those blinded by "fandom" cannot see the truth.
    Jrue.

You are using a bunch of words and saying nothing. You are just saying Noel is better, which is fine, but the rest of the insults are just baseless.

Deal with differing opinions as something other than an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    If we aren't supposed to discuss matters of this team then it kind of defeats the purpose of a message board about the team doesnt it?
    You aren't discussing the team. You are discussing discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post

You are using a bunch of words and saying nothing. .
    You aren't discussing the team. You are discussing discussing.
    Kinda summing yourself up for everyone aren't you?

When you have something of value to actually add to anything around here feel free to quote me with that alright. Thanks.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-15-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Way to leave out the part where I addressed the topic.

Intentionally misquoting someone because you really can't make a point without publicly lying... Sad, pointless.

Way to leave out the part where I addressed the topic.

Intentionally misquoting someone because you really can't make a point without publicly lying... Sad, pointless.
    You addressed the topic? Really? Care to point that out?

I see nothing that you have added of substance about the core discussion of Jrue vs Noel.

All I saw was more of your trolling/shaming posters through the prism of your illusory superiority complex while offering even less substance then those you are attempting to shame/troll.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-15-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Thread Information