Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: just relax...its gonna be ok.

when does davis get back anyway
    never assume

I think the thing about MM is that what he asks for is not the natural reaction of a typical fan. So when things like this happens he asks for different expectations which rubs a decent amount of the fanbase the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I'm very impressed with this teams grit.

Fans whining about going 5-1 and not going 6-0 without Holliday, Anderson and Davis, make me

Fans that marginalize every win while magnifying every loss.... Make me

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Food View Post
    I think the thing about MM is that what he asks for is not the natural reaction of a typical fan. So when things like this happens he asks for different expectations which rubs a decent amount of the fanbase the wrong way.
    It really is this simple: My intentions are pure. I want this fan base to be happy, and from what I have seen, the frustration sets in when expectations are higher than likely reality. So when the expectations aren't met, people flame and rant. This is true with almost every aspect of life. Find me an angry person and I will show you a person whose expectations were one thing and then reality hit them with another thing.

Some people can try to villainize me, but the simple truth is that I want the fan base to enjoy this team. I think that is better achieved through focusing on process than setting the bar at an unlikely goal. The way I see it, the former would have brought you joy last night, the latter misery.

I can't explain it any better than this, but if people want to read into it some other way, I can't stop them
    @mcnamara247

Banned
    I think right now we have a very enjoyable team. We have very good players except for 1 that play well together. I'm just glad Jimmer wasn't in there to lose the game for us in the second half.

Banned
    We should win our next 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I think right now we have a very enjoyable team. We have very good players except for 1 that play well together. I'm just glad Jimmer wasn't in there to lose the game for us in the second half.
    Curious who '1' is

Banned
    Well Jimmer. He has fully taken the whipping boy title for the rest of this year.

We should win our next 3 games.
    I don't think that we "should win" 3 games in a row without AD, Ryan, and Jrue ever. Especially if one is against Memphis; even if AD is back. Even though I disagree slightly, I think this is the point that Mac has been trying to make recently. We can't be expecting 3 wins in a row from this team. Root for it, and be excited if it happens; but the expectations need adjustment.

Honestly if we go 1-2 over the next 3 I would be disappointed but not surprised. I can't say we're any better than Detroit if we're missing AD, Jrue, Ryan. And Memphis is a top team in the West. And even Boston has been playing well since IT joined.

Banned
    I understand, but I think the team is evolving and has more of a winning attitude. I think the main thing that could trip them up is a rusty AD hurting us early in a game. They have shown the ability to win 3 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Because they are starting to really think playoffs, and this hurts that. Why I have been saying - get playoffs out of your mind. Focus on other things. If it happens, it happens. If not, oh well.
    My enjoyment of the season really increased when I accepted that we almost certainly won't make the playoffs. If I thought the playoffs were in the cards, I would be upset about this loss. However, since my expectations are to miss the playoffs, I'm appreciating that we played a solid game against a good team on the second night of a back to back missing three of our most important players.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Honestly I want to make excuses but good teams find a way to win these type of games. These important games with playoff implications against teams they are chasing.

Portland went into triple overtime and then buried us the following night.

Good teams find a way. Have we won a single set of back 2 backs all season?

When the going gets tough a couple of players on this team, one in particular, just bury our chances with the most boneheaded possessions.

Tonight wasn't all on him. Monty honestly deserves some blame here for not recognizing his lineup wasn't working sooner. But its not all on him either. This was a group loss. We came out flat in the third while the Mavs came out hungry. This team just completely forgot what was keeping pace in the first half and couldn't execute in the third. And by the time we made some smart adjustments(despite some selfish possessions) it was too little too late.
    "Good teams find a way to win all the games all the time"

lol, okay dude.

We have a winning record vs the West, AND a winning record in the toughest division in professional sports, while having at least 1 starter out the ENTIRE SEASON.

Come the **** on, we're good. We're just inconsistent, there is a difference between a bad team and an inconsistent one. Stop being so stupidly negative and critical.

It really is this simple: My intentions are pure. I want this fan base to be happy, and from what I have seen, the frustration sets in when expectations are higher than likely reality. So when the expectations aren't met, people flame and rant. This is true with almost every aspect of life. Find me an angry person and I will show you a person whose expectations were one thing and then reality hit them with another thing.

Some people can try to villainize me, but the simple truth is that I want the fan base to enjoy this team. I think that is better achieved through focusing on process than setting the bar at an unlikely goal. The way I see it, the former would have brought you joy last night, the latter misery.

I can't explain it any better than this, but if people want to read into it some other way, I can't stop them
    MM, you serve a very valuable role here, and I certainly appreciate it. While not everyone will agree with what you are saying, you're a voice of reason. You try to keep things even-keeled around here by holding expectations in check. I would just warn that likewise you don't allow yourself to become to frustrated with fans reactions. As you know, fan is a shorten form of "fanatic", and there's often times not a lot of logic behind people's feelings. I consider myself pretty calm when it comes to team expectations, but I must admit that yesterday I allowed myself for a while to hope for a win and to see New Orleans sitting in that 8th spot in the playoff standings. Fans will be emotional because that's what fans do.

I really enjoy your contributions, and I would just hate to see you allow yourself to get overly frustrated by fans reactions. We need your balanced view around here.

Well Jimmer. He has fully taken the whipping boy title for the rest of this year.

He's earning the title right now. He looks BAD out there. He's a three-point sharpshooter who can't hit a three. Would love to see that change, but he is who he is at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    MM, you serve a very valuable role here, and I certainly appreciate it. While not everyone will agree with what you are saying, you're a voice of reason. You try to keep things even-keeled around here by holding expectations in check. I would just warn that likewise you don't allow yourself to become to frustrated with fans reactions. As you know, fan is a shorten form of "fanatic", and there's often times not a lot of logic behind people's feelings. I consider myself pretty calm when it comes to team expectations, but I must admit that yesterday I allowed myself for a while to hope for a win and to see New Orleans sitting in that 8th spot in the playoff standings. Fans will be emotional because that's what fans do.

I really enjoy your contributions, and I would just hate to see you allow yourself to get overly frustrated by fans reactions. We need your balanced view around here.
    I agree with all of this with one exception - I don't really become as frustrated with their reactions as much as I just want to help. Same as anybody that I care about. And no, I am not saying that I care about you guys and gals like family, but the Pelicans Nation is a large part of my life. I probably spend 20-30 hours a week writing, talking on the pod, on boards, etc. about the Pels. So, I do somewhat care about everyone who is a fan of this team. And like I do with anyone I care even a little bit about - I would rather see them happy than upset.

But I understand that it can come off as annoying and parental and it looks like I am trying to say I am above others, etc. So I will try to tone it down. But if you look at my post in this thread, I was just being positive. I thought this team showed some resiliency last night and surpassed my expectations. Could they have done some things better? Of course, but I think if you view this team through the lens I am suggesting, there will be a lot more happiness, and that's all I want for my 'kinda' friends here.

I wish Dell would've kept Ish Smith to grab Jimmer's minutes . I'm hopeful like everyone else, that Jrue will return before the season ends, but I get the feeling he want.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    "Good teams find a way to win all the games all the time"

lol, okay dude.

We have a winning record vs the West, AND a winning record in the toughest division in professional sports, while having at least 1 starter out the ENTIRE SEASON.

Come the **** on, we're good. We're just inconsistent, there is a difference between a bad team and an inconsistent one. Stop being so stupidly negative and critical.
    Can't believe you just wasted that much time arguing a straw man. And with such anger. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    I wish Dell would've kept Ish Smith to grab Jimmer's minutes . I'm hopeful like everyone else, that Jrue will return before the season ends, but I get the feeling he want.
    I don't think there should be any minutes for a Jimmer or an Ish to take. There are 4 guys who can play guard on this team, not including Jimmer when you factor in Q-Pon. Tyreke got 35 last night, Q-Pon got 28. We could have given Jimmer's 4 to those guys and been fine.

No reason for Jimmer to play IMO unless the game is close at the end and we need a FT shooter

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    As far as MM is concerned, his outlook is what makes In the NO fun for me.

Schwan = Optimist
    McNamara = Realist

If Dallas had come into the game missing
    Dirk = their Brow
    Ellis = their Holiday
    Parsons = their Ryno

I would have expected us to win. Dirk & Ellis played, and Brow & Holiday didn't. I didn't expect a win.

Let's just continue to ride this wave of improvement of our backups.

Oh most definitely, and I actually agree with what you're saying. Was not having a go at you at all.
    I was just commenting on what you were asking for; a ittle rational thinking concerning the pels. Most fans don't want to, they want their playoffs and they want it yesterday, and so they get upset/ call you a pessimist etc when you try to curb expectations.

I don't question your motives, and I actually think you and schwan have actually lightened up alot since the dead man walking days with cp3 wanting out etc.
    I'm just noting that what you ask of people here is not what most fans want to do, so there is the natural backlash, but I for one actually like the input you bring, and would encourage you to do be as outspoken as you like, it always brings insight that the general fan doesn't have privy to.

There's really no way around excluding Jimmer from the game plan when you are starting 3 guards. Our depth chart is to short to exclude him when you consider that you are splitting 144 min between 4 guys, and you are counting on those 4 to be a bit fast paced. Jimmer is going to get his 4-7 min a game (as we have seen the last few nights) until somebody gets healthy. Best he can do is quit crapping the bed with those limited minuets.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    There's really no way around excluding Jimmer from the game plan when you are starting 3 guards. Our depth chart is to short to exclude him when you consider that you are splitting 144 min between 4 guys, and you are counting on those 4 to be a bit fast paced. Jimmer is going to get his 4-7 min a game (as we have seen the last few nights) until somebody gets healthy. Best he can do is quit crapping the bed with those limited minuets.
    144 between 4? I am assuming you are talking about PG, SG, and SF. Even if you say DC can only play 4 with us shorthanded, I still count 5 (Babbitt at the 3)

It would have been easy to absorb Jimmer's 4 mins last night without overburdening anyone IMO

Gordon, Cole, Evans, QPon splitting the 1,2,3, including Cunningham and Babbit and shoot the number up to 192 (because they are playing the 4). 192/6 32 min a pop. Certainly they will give Jimmer some burn as 32 min a man is still quite a bit for that group, at the ideal pace of play.

In the end all I am saying is, don't count out your expected exposure to Jimmer. We wI'll keep seeing him scrape together a few minuets a game until somebody gets healthy.

Here are the mins from the Brooklyn game

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...502250NOP.html

Take a few from Quincy and give them to Babbitt, Cole, or Ajinca and I am fine with this exact rotation

Banned
    Anyone added won't be on the Playoff roster, correct?

Thread Information