Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Noah gets constant praise---Omer, not so much ! WHY ???

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    Excuse me? We're .533, I'll have you know.

pardon me seƱor.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I am sure Bulls fans hate parts of his game, but they wouldn't trade him but for very few players (none of which are Asik). Me personally, I would take Noah 9 days a week. He is a beast down low. I am not sure how much of his play is him being ugly, and how much is natural talent, but that man plays a wild and ugly brand of basketball.
    Let's also remember that he is playing in a much better defensive system than Asik is. That same system that got Asik (a back-up center at the time) an $8mil contract. I believe if Asik got as many min in that same system he would be very good.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Perhaps instead of "under the radar" i should have said "up and coming"?

#TakeFlight

i'll just write here what i wrote some time ago on blogabull. OA and Noah are almost the same kind of players, a very good defender with limited offensive skillset. Noah is the better passer among these two.
    OA is the better... scorer because he has size advantages over majority of NBA centers.This isnot reflected in his ppg because rockets often blow out its opponent and OA got pulled out early;he often wasted easy baskets by doing that stupid reverse layups .In rockets he flirted with 20-20 more than twice.
    Noah is better choice for the bulls as long as behemoths like Howard, Gasol, and cousins don't move the eastern conference.But most importantly because he is a vocal leader that can lead his teammates and he is the fiercer competitor that doesn't make excuses. OA is too timid to be able to reach his full potential. here he explained that he didnt dunk due to "a lack of confidence" http://theadvocate.com/sports/117249...-men-omer-asik
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    What if he doesn't? All players have flaws. If he was great at these things too, he would get 15 mil a year.

Sometimes a player just is who he is. Would I like it if Tyreke shot better or had a higher IQ? Sure. I would love it if Jrue got to the line more as well.

But we are not going to get 10 flawless guys on this roster. Looking to dump every guy who has a weakness for the next perfect guy isn't realistic. And trust me, once we get the new guy, we will find a reason to hate his game too
    MM , I'm not looking for 10 perfect guys. That's unrealistic for sure. Lack of fundamentals drives me crazy. You don't have to be great at them just competent. Asik is so bad at catching and holding on to the ball, something that any pro player in any ball sport that handles the ball should be. Not asking him to be a point guard, just for him to not turn over the ball 50% + everytime he gets the ball passed to him . Kinda like maybe if you had a really good RB in football that ran for tons of yards but he fumbled a lot . Maybe I look as things to simply , but fundamentals is fundamentals in any sport

No need forAsik to yell and scream when he has the ball. I do enough Of that for him!

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    No need forAsik to yell and scream when he has the ball. I do enough Of that for him!
    lmao u and me both, its crazy, sometimes he will go up like an absolute bull and his dunk can't be stopped like he is freaking Wilt Chamberlain, and other times he is soft like emeka okafor. IDK if that is because of his back, or because of his intensity.

also remember Asik almost failed his physical with us because of his knee? Combine that with his back and I'm sure he's not 100%

Maybe thats why Dell is so hell bent on resigning him, because with a full offseason to get healthy he thinks he can be an animal.

People actually think yelling is the only difference? Noah is a much better passer, more versatile defender and has been the defensive anchor for top teams.

Not to mention he probably doesn't get stuffed nearly as much or have Asik's stone hands
    Last edited by speedyG; 03-04-2015 at 09:11 AM.

What if he doesn't? All players have flaws. If he was great at these things too, he would get 15 mil a year.

Sometimes a player just is who he is. Would I like it if Tyreke shot better or had a higher IQ? Sure. I would love it if Jrue got to the line more as well.

But we are not going to get 10 flawless guys on this roster. Looking to dump every guy who has a weakness for the next perfect guy isn't realistic. And trust me, once we get the new guy, we will find a reason to hate his game too
    Asik is fine, we needed an Asik to be in the playoff hunt this year. But we could still do better. Monty doesn't even want him on the floor in crunch time some games.

Being a major offensive liability and unable to finish easy buckets, or stay on the floor are fair reasons to hate on a player's game. No, no one is perfect but Asik has some huge flaws in his game.
    Last edited by speedyG; 03-04-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Asik is fine, we needed an Asik to be in the playoff hunt this year. But we could still do better. Monty doesn't even want him on the floor in crunch time some games.

Being a major offensive liability and unable to finish should be easy points, or stay on the floor are big reasons to hate on a guys game. No, no one is perfect but Asik has some bigger than normal problems in his game
    He only has bigger than normal issues because the common Pels fan doesn't look at other centers around the league. If they actually did they'd see the exact same mistakes being made by a ton of them. Asik is no worse than a ton of "top tier" centers with his TO% and he has a solid FG%.

Honestly no it doesn't get much worse than Asik on offense, watch him play. If he was any good on offense he wouldn't be on the bench as much in the 4th quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    He only has bigger than normal issues because the common Pels fan doesn't look at other centers around the league. If they actually did they'd see the exact same mistakes being made by a ton of them. Asik is no worse than a ton of "top tier" centers with his TO% and he has a solid FG%.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. We bring in some other guy and his game is torn apart while some guy that we barely watch but who posts good numbers is "the answer"

It is a never ending cycle, and its not just our fan base. Every fan base in every sport does it. Watching a guy this much either makes you way overvalue him or way undervalue him.
    @mcnamara247

I wholeheartedly agree with this. We bring in some other guy and his game is torn apart while some guy that we barely watch but who posts good numbers is "the answer"

It is a never ending cycle, and its not just our fan base. Every fan base in every sport does it. Watching a guy this much either makes you way overvalue him or way undervalue him.
    I dont undervalue him, I know what he brings. You can get by with him but looking at FA this year you could also do better. I would take Koufos over him, similar defense and not nearly as much of a spaz on offense

Honestly no it doesn't get much worse than Asik on offense, watch him play. If he was any good on offense he wouldn't be on the bench as much in the 4th quarter
    Gortat averages as many minutes in the 4th as Asik.

It is VERY common for traditional centers to be sitting at the end of the 4th quarter. Not exclusive to the Pels at all. And Gortat just got a 5 yr/60 mil deal.

i am curious what will offer some other bowyer type gms for ajinca in the open market. because of his recent numbers
    will it be as MM mentioned in the podcast 3 3, 5 millions a year. or more
    masai is not stupid. so he probaby will not. but others.
    i see a lopez type money. five millions :/

I look at numbers and I think of Emeka Okafor. Dude averaged a double double, but his best position was downward dog, or a Pilates pose.

I like Asik, but I hope he works more on his offense this offseason.

Gortat averages as many minutes in the 4th as Asik.

It is VERY common for traditional centers to be sitting at the end of the 4th quarter. Not exclusive to the Pels at all. And Gortat just got a 5 yr/60 mil deal.

Fair enough but we also have had alot of injuries in the frontcourt and Gortat plays 30 mpg.. Asik is a guy at times you really dont want out there because he is a complete offensive liability

I look at numbers and I think of Emeka Okafor. Dude averaged a double double, but his best position was downward dog, or a Pilates pose.

I like Asik, but I hope he works more on his offense this offseason.
    Hoping he will become anybody else is a fools game. The guy is who he is at this point. Some people like who he is and others will not. Whoever our GM is (hopefully Dell) will have to look at him and assume he will be this exact guy for the next 3 or 4 years and offer him a contract accordingly.

Though, as I have said before, continuity can help. His hands will never magically get better, but the longer he plays with guys, the more they will know what kinds of passes he can handle and which he can't. I have already seen guys throwing him more bounce passes in the lane than earlier in the season. Norris Cole threw him a lob the other night, and now knows never to do that again.

Sometimes, actually often times, a player improves because he gets more time with guys on the court. We can't ever build that continuity and deep that reward if we are constantly changing the roster over every summer.

I am aware that continuity goes a long way, and that we aren't a team of high iq vets like the Heatles were when they were going through there slump, so over time things should get better for Asik. But I want to know, what is he going to do this offseason to improve his game? Everyone does something, what is he planning on doing to be more than what he already is. If the plan is not to do much at all, that's fine, pay him what a top 13-20 center gets paid. If his plan is to go back to the lab and work on his shooting then still give him slightly better money.

Fair enough but we also have had alot of injuries in the frontcourt and Gortat plays 30 mpg.. Asik is a guy at times you really dont want out there because he is a complete offensive liability
    And you don't want Ajinca out there sometimes because he picks up dumb fouls or can't rebound half as good as Asik (see: Denver game)

Give Koufos 30 minutes against starters instead of backups, and I guarantee this board flames him too. Robin Lopez was a nightmare in the pick and roll and got killed here too, but now goes to a team that scores so much that they can get away with it. Noah's shooting at the rim has gone down every year and is reaching terrible levels this year. I can go on and on and on.

Save for a couple of guys who this team can't acquire, nearly every guy we can put next to AD will have a big hole that will drive us crazy if we have to watch him 82 times. Asik is here, knows the system, is willing to do all the dirty things, sets fantastic picks (which we never talk about because there is no stat), and we have the ability to re-sign him if we want. I know that whatever deal we give him this summer will be looked down on, but I think we should talk about the good along with the bad more often.

I am aware that continuity goes a long way, and that we aren't a team of high iq vets like the Heatles were when they were going through there slump, so over time things should get better for Asik. But I want to know, what is he going to do this offseason to improve his game? Everyone does something, what is he planning on doing to be more than what he already is. If the plan is not to do much at all, that's fine, pay him what a top 13-20 center gets paid. If his plan is to go back to the lab and work on his shooting then still give him slightly better money.
    You want Asik to work on his shooting? Why? You want him taking away shots from the other guys?

If I were Monty, I would tell him that I want him to work on his conditioning and lateral footwork. I think a big increase is possible in the former and a minor increase in the latter. Offensively, a flat footed baby hook would be nice, but I would never expect more than that. That would be realistic to me.

I wouldn't be opposed to him taking a shot or two away from people (as long as the shots are within 3 ft of the basket). He is down low so it is a higher percentage shot, and if you want to get your opponent in foul trouble (and get yourself to the line more), going inside with a big is one of your better bets.

I think him working on footwork and conditioning are also ideal, and go to show, he has plenty to work on in his game. He has the potential to be a top 10 big, it's just a few small things he needs to do on a consistent basis to get there.

I also think the summer off from International basketball will help. Many people who know him from Chicago and Houston have said he seems a little different here. He had no real offseason to relax and had a back injury early.

Look at what he has done since the AS break. Has looked like the guy we all fell in love with early in the year prior to the back injury.

Wouldn't be surprised if we hear after the year that he wasn't 100% but he played through it anyway.

And you don't want Ajinca out there sometimes because he picks up dumb fouls or can't rebound half as good as Asik (see: Denver game)

Give Koufos 30 minutes against starters instead of backups, and I guarantee this board flames him too. Robin Lopez was a nightmare in the pick and roll and got killed here too, but now goes to a team that scores so much that they can get away with it. Noah's shooting at the rim has gone down every year and is reaching terrible levels this year. I can go on and on and on.

Save for a couple of guys who this team can't acquire, nearly every guy we can put next to AD will have a big hole that will drive us crazy if we have to watch him 82 times. Asik is here, knows the system, is willing to do all the dirty things, sets fantastic picks (which we never talk about because there is no stat), and we have the ability to re-sign him if we want. I know that whatever deal we give him this summer will be looked down on, but I think we should talk about the good along with the bad more often.
    Koufos did a good job in more minutes for Denver and Grizzlies people love him. He is pretty underrated

I never complained about RoLo, he has become one of the best rim protectors in the game with a nice offensive game. That whole season was a mess

There are a decent number of good defensive centers who can catch the ball, it's not some crazy dream

Thread Information