Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would Western Conference Contenders Throw Games to Us?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I could see teams like SA, GS, and Memphis sitting players against us, but I think that has more to do with them being older and actually needing the rest. I think getting us into the playoffs would just be collateral damage in that process. I don't think any of them fear us (Memohis certainly fears SA more than us), but it would be fun to get into the playoffs under such circumstances and just see how things play out. I can't imagine us going far (if we aren't at full strength), but we still have so much season ahead of us, and who knows how chemistry will play out between here and there.
    San Antonio ? They may not make the playoffs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I could see teams like SA, GS, and Memphis sitting players against us, but I think that has more to do with them being older and actually needing the rest. I think getting us into the playoffs would just be collateral damage in that process. I don't think any of them fear us (Memohis certainly fears SA more than us), but it would be fun to get into the playoffs under such circumstances and just see how things play out. I can't imagine us going far (if we aren't at full strength), but we still have so much season ahead of us, and who knows how chemistry will play out between here and there.
    As off the wall as POP is, he just may rest the guys, though !

Until the king is dead long live the king.

I wont count SA out of the playoffs until the night that the playoffs start. If they get their see legs they are as deadly as any team in the NBA (GS included).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I think teams consider everything.

But they also might consider who would give Warriors the best/longest series. If I'm the 4 or 5 seed, I might rather see Warriors or OKC after a brutal 7 game series, than to see Warriors after a 4 or 5 game series and days off.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    In all honesty, I'm not sure I trust Golden State in the playoffs. Sure their defense is elite, but their offense has left a ton to be desired in recent playoff history. The 3s simply aren't as open in the playoffs as they are during the regular season, and they have shown a frequency to float into the midrange when the 3 isn't there which has killed them 2 years in a row. They need to prove something in the playoffs before we can knight them the kings of the west
    They just aren't the same team they were under Jackson. That offense is smarter, more evolved and better suited to their players. Defensively every one is playing at a peak level.

If I had to pick a favorite to win it all if pick the Warriors.

I would say the smart money (for now) has to be GS. Kerr knows what it takes to win titles. His players have the playoff experience, but he has the rings. They are the favorites, but, (like I said) if the Spurs get there legs beneath them (who knows, they might already be playing games trying to match up with the Grizzlies) they will be my new favorite. That crew is just to dangerous, and have constantly shown us of how little importance the regular season is. You could sweep them in a regular season series, but in a playoff series they will take your lunch money and your bike. It really is going to be those two competing for the title (and I could care less about the Hawks, Cavs, or Wash as none of them are real threats to the two formerly mentioned teams).

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

But they also might consider who would give Warriors the best/longest series. If I'm the 4 or 5 seed, I might rather see Warriors or OKC after a brutal 7 game series, than to see Warriors after a 4 or 5 game series and days off.
    Dallas can be LARGER THAN HUGE game tonight! It would put Dallas only 4 games ahead of us! So, Dallas has to play SA twice & OKC twice ! These are the 3 teams that we can possibly catch. They have to play GS twice,clips, cleve,houston . Really tough schedule!

It would be a big victory for us but I'd be surprised if Pels win tonight even with their injuries. Second night of road back to back after playing in Denver. Tough assignment for a depleted team...

But our depleted team has been on a streak, and playing better than our healthy team.

intentionally throw it? no, but star players may get more rest which will result in a loss.

If it happened and we got in, that would be great motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Dallas can be LARGER THAN HUGE game tonight! It would put Dallas only 4 games ahead of us! So, Dallas has to play SA twice & OKC twice ! These are the 3 teams that we can possibly catch. They have to play GS twice,clips, cleve,houston . Really tough schedule!
    I'm trying to debate if Im going to go watch it tonight. Any update on AD?

Quote Originally Posted by lsutigers33 View Post
    I'm trying to debate if Im going to go watch it tonight. Any update on AD?
    No word on AD, but Tyson Chandler Parsons are out ! Thats enough for me to watch > Starting 5 & starting 3 out . I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

This. I think it's a really interesting discussion McNamara brings up but I just don't think teams would do that because if we're assuming that the choice is OKC or NOLA in the 8th seed, then the obvious choice would be to have OKC play the Warriors and hopefully have a tough, long series. Either way, a strong team is coming out of the 1 seed first round matchup. Whether it's the Warriors rolling us, which I think (we take 1 game I'd guess), or potentially OKC winning a 7-game series. Obviously if the Thunder get to the 7 seed then it gets tricky but by that point I don't think teams are giving wins away. A lot of teams are too close in seeding right now to risk anymore games. Interesting topic though.

I could see maybe for that last week of the season, but until then we just have to keep grinding out. And if we do get in and play GS, I'm not afraid of that team. We had those guys beat in our last home game meeting without AD, and we just let it slip away at the end and in OT. I can see why people are iffy on playing OKC because of the scoring threat of Russ and KD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    No word on AD, but Tyson Chandler Parsons are out ! Thats enough for me to watch > Starting 5 & starting 3 out . I'm in!
    I meant actually go to the game in Dallas.

Thread Information