Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would Western Conference Contenders Throw Games to Us?

Would Western Conference Contenders Throw Games to Us?

Zach Lowe, Jalen Rose, and others have brought this up before, and while I don't think it is likely, it might be worth discussing and/or thinking about, wishing for, etc.

The Pels play Portland, SA, Houston, and Memphis is the final two weeks of the season. All of those teams would much rather see us in the playoffs than OKC. What are the odds that they "rest" a few guys to try and get us in? I mean, if I was a Memphis fan, I would be all for it.

Thoughts?
    @mcnamara247

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I think it's possible, considering it's been done in the past.

Nobody wants to see OKC, yet everyone overlooks NOLA. (which could bite them in the end.)

Looking at the schedule, Memphis, SA, & GS could basically have their spots locked in when we play them in April. WOuldn't be crazy for them to "rest a few guys" to help keep OKC out.

Memphis don't want us in the playoffs, especially if we have a healthy squad. I doubt any of those teams rest players against us.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
    Memphis don't want us in the playoffs, especially if we have a healthy squad. I doubt any of those teams rest players against us.
    You think that if you asked Memphis players and execs who they would rather play in the playoffs, that ANY of them would say OKC?

I personally don't. This is the playoffs. It is a different game. We are a team lacking experience at that level. OKC has been to the WCF (at least) 3 of the last 4 years. Every single player, exec, usher, parking lot attendant, etc. in the West would rather have their team face us than OKC.

"Step into my parlor." said the spider to the fly.
    We've seen teams jockey for first round positioning before, but trying to position a team you might not meet until later rounds is a stretch. Golden State has a pretty solid lead so I could see them resting on April 7th. That's the most intentional help I think we would receive.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'm all for it. I'd rather see the Pels in the Playoffs than the thunder also. Or the Clippers. Because why not?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    I think it is certainly possible and I would love to see every single one of them pay for it. I don't think anyone is going to be happy to play this team fully healthy in the playoffs(if that's possible). But yes, most everyone is going to be more scared of OKC, and for valid reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    We've seen teams jockey for first round positioning before, but trying to position a team you might not meet until later rounds is a stretch. Golden State has a pretty solid lead so I could see them resting on April 7th. That's the most intentional help I think we would receive.
    I would normally agree, and again I don't think this is very likely to happen. But I will say that this is a special circumstance that has perhaps never been seen before. I mean, this is a chance to keep an elite team out of the playoffs. Almost akin to if LBJ and Wade got hurt for a large stretch last year and you had a chance to keep Miami out of the playoffs.

I don't think teams will do it, but if I were WC teams, I would talk about it and strongly consider it.

This could also bite us as well, as earlier this year we haven't brought our A game against teams backups.

Only way I could see it happening is if the Pels and OKC are within one game of each other during these games, and the team we are playing has their spot locked in. Would it really be a stretch to see players like Gasol, Randolph, Bogut, Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Leonard, Batum etc. to sit against us in the final weeks of the season considering their injury histories/age. I don't think so. Honestly, I wouldn't expect to see many "Spurs" in the final game of the season anyway.

...we get to go McDonalds
    There's incentives the other way for some of these teams, most notably Memphis. If you're Memphis, you want OKC in at the 8 spot. If you're Memphis, you don't care if you run into Warriors or Thunder cause you're gonna run into one of them anyway (assuming you think Pels are not of the same caliber).

OKC at 8 means Warriors vs. OKC in round one. If you're Memphis, you'd rather have homecourt vs. OKC than not homecourt vs. Warriors.

I think we'd do better against these teams if they didn't rest their guys. We'll find a way to lose if they give to us.

But if we're so close, wouldn't we also rest players if we see they're not putting all of their talent out there?

I could see teams like SA, GS, and Memphis sitting players against us, but I think that has more to do with them being older and actually needing the rest. I think getting us into the playoffs would just be collateral damage in that process. I don't think any of them fear us (Memohis certainly fears SA more than us), but it would be fun to get into the playoffs under such circumstances and just see how things play out. I can't imagine us going far (if we aren't at full strength), but we still have so much season ahead of us, and who knows how chemistry will play out between here and there.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    This could also bite us as well, as earlier this year we haven't brought our A game against teams backups.
    But now were playing for a playoff bid against those teams. The stakes are high for us to take them seriously.
    "This Game is Rigged Man" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus : The Wire Season 4 EP 13

...we get to go McDonalds
    I'm just glad we're in this. Just being in these types of games down the stretch is good for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Zach Lowe, Jalen Rose, and others have brought this up before, and while I don't think it is likely, it might be worth discussing and/or thinking about, wishing for, etc.

The Pels play Portland, SA, Houston, and Memphis is the final two weeks of the season. All of those teams would much rather see us in the playoffs than OKC. What are the odds that they "rest" a few guys to try and get us in? I mean, if I was a Memphis fan, I would be all for it.

Thoughts?
    I mean I think the rest aspect is the whole thing, at what point do you start resting your players for the playoffs, I think that is more key to this than opponent. I think we can fully expect the Spurs to rest guys considering it'll be the last game of the season but will Memphis feel ok resting guys with 4-5 games left? I think it all depends on where they are in the standings, not us
    never assume

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    But if we're so close, wouldn't we also rest players if we see they're not putting all of their talent out there?
    if you are close you can't afford to rest players

If we're fighting for the 8 seed, and GSW are still the #1, I dont think it matters. I think if we're healthy, we have a shot in the playoffs against any other team except them basically.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    If we're fighting for the 8 seed, and GSW are still the #1, I dont think it matters. I think if we're healthy, we have a shot in the playoffs against any other team except them basically.
    Side note: I also kinda feel like we could beat any team healthy except GS. Experience aside, I think talent matches up.

think it all depends on if they think one more loss will affect their home court bid

In all honesty, I'm not sure I trust Golden State in the playoffs. Sure their defense is elite, but their offense has left a ton to be desired in recent playoff history. The 3s simply aren't as open in the playoffs as they are during the regular season, and they have shown a frequency to float into the midrange when the 3 isn't there which has killed them 2 years in a row. They need to prove something in the playoffs before we can knight them the kings of the west

I hope they do it so Silver will have no excuse but to end conference playoffs over the summer. If we miss the playoffs no one will care. If Durant and Westbrook miss there will all types of riots.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Looking at the schedule, Memphis, SA, & GS could basically have their spots locked in when we play them in April. WOuldn't be crazy for them to "rest a few guys" to help keep OKC out.
    Dallas could SINK like a stone ! Injuries, Rondo & Their SCHEDULE is absolutely BRUTAL !
    NO
    @ Port
    @ GS
    @ LAL
    Cleve
    LAC
    OKC
    Orla
    Memphis
    @ PHX
    @ SA
    SA