Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norris Cole, Quincy Pondexter, and Dante Cunningham. ..

Norris Cole, Quincy Pondexter, and Dante Cunningham. ..

Dell Demps should win executive of the year for these three moves alone. They are so important to this current win streak. Doing all of the dirty work and allowing our stars to be super at what they do. Eric shooting his amazing shot, tyreke slashing with confidence, and asik just feeding off of misses and playing stout d. I am really enjoying our team as presently constructed.
    I'm a grinder

esp. since they were all "under the radar" moves

Demps earned the "trade ninja" nickname this season
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Dell Demps should win executive of the year for these three moves alone. They are so important to this current win streak. Doing all of the dirty work and allowing our stars to be super at what they do. Eric shooting his amazing shot, tyreke slashing with confidence, and asik just feeding off of misses and playing stout d. I am really enjoying our team as presently constructed.
    That is the head coach who has brought the team together. Monty deserves coach of the year as well.

Oh goodness people. Relax.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

At a minimum, Jimmy Smith should apologize for his article about the Cole trade. At this point, it looks better than a yawner to me.

"Pelicans' yawning trade for Norris Cole lacks excitement or playoff promise" - Jimmy Smith

"Sorry, folks, trading for Norris Cole isn't going to elevate the Pelicans to postseason challenger." - Jimmy Smith

"There's absolutely nothing about which to be excited with this transaction." - Jimmy Smith

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...e_deadlin.html

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip-Off View Post
    At a minimum, Jimmy Smith should apologize for his article about the Cole trade. At this point, it looks better than a yawner to me.

"Pelicans' yawning trade for Norris Cole lacks excitement or playoff promise" - Jimmy Smith

"Sorry, folks, trading for Norris Cole isn't going to elevate the Pelicans to postseason challenger." - Jimmy Smith

"There's absolutely nothing about which to be excited with this transaction." - Jimmy Smith

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...e_deadlin.html
    That's terrible. New Orleans area deserves better.

And let's not forget the TV media. Bipolar, king of the hot take Fletcher Mackel and driver of the original Jimmer Fredette to NOLA fan club is not far off. I had to unfollow him on twitter a while ago, I couldn't take him anymore.
    Last edited by djpaul89; 03-01-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Cmon man you can't seriously say that those trades haven't benefited us significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    That is the head coach who has brought the team together. Monty deserves coach of the year as well.
    Monty has been doing better I must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Thank you lol...it is never even keel around here. Either exec, coach of the year or they need to be. Fired NOW!!!! Anyways Id love to just add AD back to the mix right now and see how this team flows.

norris cole finds people along the 3pt line, and him and Ajinca work like a charm, can't wait to see how him and davis will go together

Watch the fire Dell and Monty posts tomorrow!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    The hard-on for Jimmy Smith hate is ridiculous here (and on Twitter, if you follow some other unofficial team media outlets). Yea the dude sucks, but y'all act like a bitter ole girlfriend when it comes to him

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Cmon man you can't seriously say that those trades haven't benefited us significantly.
    Benefitted us? Of course they did. Executive of the year? Let's just slow our roll here a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Benefitted us? Of course they did. Executive of the year? Let's just slow our roll here a bit...
    Yeah the Cavs would laugh us out the building if demps showed up to the hypothetical ceremony thinking he had a chance for that award. Heck if we are just talking finding guys to plug holes miami has a much stronger case: Dragic and Whiteside are a hell of a get and for pennies.

The thunder as well. Bolstering an already deep roster with some smart moves in the face of a disgruntled player.

And as much as I like Cuningham and Qpon give me Robert Covington on a 4 year 1 million dollar a year contract any day. Outside of whiteside Covington is the steal of the year, and arguably more so because philly was smart and locked him up at a near league minimum rate. A legitimate starting small forward who is young and growing and on what may end up being the best contract in the league in a couple years.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 03-02-2015 at 06:35 AM.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Seems like as good a place as any to mention that the TP comments drive me up the wall as well. While I don't like their coverage either, the stuff coming from some of the people that run this place about the TP I think discredits this site more than it points out the shortcomings of the TP. Once upon a time it would have been weird to say 'it's unprofessional' about a website, and sites could get away with juvenile antics because it was the web and 'edgy' or whatever, but even then this site has never been about click-bait and hot takes. We seem to treat some of our crazy posters with more respect than credentialed professional reporters, and even if they may not deserve it, there is a more professional way of pointing out the mistakes in the TP.

I like jimmy,he gives us a lot of recruiting updates.

The moves were good, but nothing spectacular. What I think we all like us that they are players who play hard.

I want to keep Demps around (I believe most of us do) because it looks like he knows how to build a roster. It's never a dull moment with Dell.

I don't want to keep Minty around because he hasn't shown to be the coach that can lead you anywhere. I see it as a Mark Jackson/ Steve Kerr, PJ Carlisimo/ Whoever have been his replacements deal. Monty can get you to a certain point and that's about it. The next guy is the one that will eventually get you where you want to go. He is a set up guy. Nothing wrong with that. He will always have a job in the NBA, but he won't ever get you a title.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

So, I have a question....

I remember the BSS Article about Cole and pondexter and how the numbers don't tell the whole story. We all also have seen the dramatic improvement with these guys. But are there any stats out there that help quantify the actual impact these guys make?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    So, I have a question....

I remember the BSS Article about Cole and pondexter and how the numbers don't tell the whole story. We all also have seen the dramatic improvement with these guys. But are there any stats out there that help quantify the actual impact these guys make?
    Individually? Not really. According to their individual stats, they are still replacement level players. Not even league average.

Best stats you got is the W-L record, plus-minus, and Net Rating, which are obviously all going to be good if you are winning all your games (Cole)

But the experts wouldn't be impressed by our acquisitions based on numbers. Cole has a PER of 11.3. Q-Pon is 10.6. Combined VORP of 0.0

According to the numbers, they have made no impact.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Individually? Not really. According to their individual stats, they are still replacement level players. Not even league average.

Best stats you got is the W-L record, plus-minus, and Net Rating, which are obviously all going to be good if you are winning all your games (Cole)

But the experts wouldn't be impressed by our acquisitions based on numbers. Cole has a PER of 11.3. Q-Pon is 10.6. Combined VORP of 0.0

Correct but the eye test tells a different story

I guess when youve had the negatives we have had among our role players, its easier for us to see their importance to this surge. I dont see good players, but I dont see glaring holes like aminu, rivers etc...
    "This Game is Rigged Man" - Preston "Bodie" Broadus : The Wire Season 4 EP 13

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    There are no numbers to define what they have done.

We should file it under "intangibles" and "chemistry".

Without these 2 things however, a team will go nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jinishima View Post
    I guess when youve had the negatives we have had among our role players, its easier for us to see their importance to this surge. I dont see good players, but I dont see glaring holes like aminu, rivers etc...
    I see people who hustle and we needed that more than anything. We had people who scored already. We needed people who get after it, hustle hard, and pressured offenses. These three do it.

This is a sad reality to me, and evidence of a lot of empty space that statistics have yet to fill. Then again, I wouldn't know where to start in trying to come up with a concept to quantify it.

I went to the Philly game with a buddy of mine who's not a pels fan, he fairly called them really hard to watch.

Just went with the same friend to watch the Heat game and he was blown away by how they looked like a quality basketball team when not too long ago they looked like a bad college team with very few changes.

I just wished I had a way to explain it without sounding like a weird idealist.

Quote Originally Posted by jinishima View Post
    Right. Replacement Level would be an improvement over what we were getting from Rivers and Salmons.

Thread Information