Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marc Gasol

Marc Gasol

He is set to be a FA this summer, and he keeps saying that he is open to anything this off season. If we could dump Gordon and don't re-sign Asik, we can sign him outright to a max contract. I think he would be the absolute best pairing we could make with AD, and those two as our front court for the next 5+ years would make this team incredibly formidable.

People ask, "why would he want to come here?" I say, why would he not want to come?! The guy has a chance to play with AD while he is entering his prime. Pair him with talents like Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Ryno, and his old buddy QPon! I mean, we have the talent, and we can use an exception to sign another SF this summer, maybe a guy like Jae Crowder?

PG - Holiday, Cole
    SG - Reke, QPon
    SF - Crowder, Cunningham
    PF - Davis, Ryno
    C - Gasol, Ajinca

Gasol would make us instant title contenders, IMO. I think we are a very attractive franchise to a guy like him.

Can you point to these places where he keeps saying this, because literally everything I have seen has been the opposite. I don't think there is a FA this summer who people think is less likely to move than Gasol.

But if there is a lot of stuff out there saying the opposite, please post because I would like to read/watch it. Thanks.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Can you point to these places where he keeps saying this, because literally everything I have seen has been the opposite. I don't think there is a FA this summer who people think is less likely to move than Gasol.

But if there is a lot of stuff out there saying the opposite, please post because I would like to read/watch it. Thanks.
    On second look, it seems like he made a few statements, and it just sticking by theme. Very general stuff that suggests he is probably leaving, but is trying not to mess over the franchise or their fans. Still, he is sticking by his statements. "I'm open to anything this off season." "I just want to win." "It would be hard to leave these guys." These are just from the first page of google:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...g-with-lakers/
    http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/03/mar...ency-grizzlies
    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...g-free-agency/
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...gency-Decision

This last one says he just wants to win ^, aka nothing about big markets, etc...

Trying to be objective.... This seems like a similar situation to when we had Chris Paul, and he left us to play for the Clippers. They weren't an established team yet, but they had Blake Griffin. Well, we have Anthony Davis - and Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans and Ryan Anderson.
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 03-01-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    On second look, it seems like he made a few statements, and it just sticking by theme. Very general stuff that suggests he is probably leaving, but is trying not to mess over the franchise or their fans. Still, he is sticking by his statements. "I'm open to anything this off season." "I just want to win." "It would be hard to leave these guys." These are just from the first page of google:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...g-with-lakers/
    http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/03/mar...ency-grizzlies
    http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/20...g-free-agency/
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...gency-Decision

This last one says he just wants to win ^, aka nothing about big markets, etc...
    I think on a recent pod, Zach Lowe put Gasol's odds of leaving at 0.0001% and I tend to agree with that. I agree with your idea that he can put us over the top and I would stretch Gordon in a millisecond and let Asik walk if it meant getting Gasol. But I don't think it is even a remote possibility.

I think on a recent pod, Zach Lowe put Gasol's odds of leaving at 0.0001% and I tend to agree with that. I agree with your idea that he can put us over the top and I would stretch Gordon in a millisecond and let Asik walk if it meant getting Gasol. But I don't think it is even a remote possibility.
    It's something to consider heading into the off season. We don't know what he is going to do, but like you said, adding him would put us over the top. We pitch that to him and see what happens!

All-Star
    I'm from the city of Gasol brothers, and I live there, in Barcelona. I've been watching Marc Gasol for a years, in NBA , in ACB and in lower categories of spanish basketball. Gasol has been loyal with his teams in his entire career and I think that will be very though to sign Gasol next summer, but not only us , ALL TEAMS, he wants stay in Memphis , if GM of the Grizzlies talk with Gasol and tell him that the grizzlies will be contenders another lustrum... Gasol will re-sign with Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by IVICP3 View Post
    I'm from the city of Gasol brothers, and I live there, in Barcelona. I've been watching Marc Gasol for a years, in NBA , in ACB and in lower categories of spanish basketball. Gasol has been loyal with his teams in his entire career and I think that will be very though to sign Gasol next summer, but not only us , ALL TEAMS, he wants stay in Memphis , if GM of the Grizzlies talk with Gasol and tell him that the grizzlies will be contenders another lustrum... Gasol will re-sign with Memphis.
    Yes, but how are they going to convince him that they are contenders? Two of their best players are going to be 34 next year. Conley is good, but he is nothing special. Those two would have to carry the team, and that is not a recipe for a contender.

Marc is loyal, but he also wants to win.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Yes, but how are they going to convince him that they are contenders? Two of their best players are going to be 34 next year. Conley is good, but he is nothing special. Those two would have to carry the team, and that is not a recipe for a contender.

Marc is loyal, but he also wants to win.
    I think you think NBA players care about "potential" as much as us fans do. If you ask Gasol where he has a better chance to win - Memphis or New Orleans, he would laugh. Because Memphis has been a .600+ team the last four years and New Orleans has been around .400. The fault in your logic here IMO, is thinking that players see the league like we do. They don't. Nobody on Memphis thinks their window is closing or that they will be bad in 2-3 years. They don't think like that.

If Gasol leaves, it would be for somewhere like San Antonio. Not here.

It would be sweet to get him, but I think he is going to stay put. Why rock the boat, but $$ does talk.

Quote Originally Posted by KennaBrah View Post
    It would be sweet to get him, but I think he is going to stay put. Why rock the boat, but $$ does talk.
    And Memphis will be able to pay him the most $$, so we and every other team losses there.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 03-01-2015 at 05:47 PM.

I just don't get this bc we have ad ppl will wanna come play here.....we had cp David west and chandler no one wanted to come play here then **** no one wanted to go to Cleveland to play with Lebron save for an old Shaq same for Kobe and I'm positive we name a few more a lot of those teams had to trade for guys which in reality is something we'll have to do if we wanna get someone close to as good as ad

Any post about Marc Gasol coming here this offseason should be deleted immediately.

STOP THE MADNESS

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Any post about Marc Gasol coming here this offseason should be deleted immediately.

STOP THE MADNESS
    I'm saving my madness for FA 2016!

Why leave Memphis? They are in a good spot right now, and are surprisingly getting better. With the addition of Green, and the experience they are all getting with Joerger, he would be silly to leave. They might not win a title, but they are in as good a spot as any to be perrenial threats.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

We aren't getting either, but I think a good debate could be had based on this question:

Both get 4 year, max contracts - Who would you rather sign, Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan?

We aren't getting either, but I think a good debate could be had based on this question:

Both get 4 year, max contracts - Who would you rather sign, Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan?
    Haha is that really a debate though?

To me DJ is the type of guy that you give a max because thats his market value but he isn't REALLY a max player in the traditional sense. He is a great piece if you have other superstars around him and are built to make up for his deficiencies and throw lobs to him and such.

Gasol is the type of guy 20+ teams in the league would gladly throw a max at and use as a cornerstone of their franchise.

I think even the Clippers would take Gasol over Jordan.

Here's a serious question. If you were Gasol, would you leave 2nd place Memphis to go to non-playoff NO to play with Reke, Ryno, Jrue, & AD for less money?

I wouldn't

Edit: can we stop throwing out names like Reke, Ryno, and Jrue because nobody is leaving their team to come and play with those guys. AD yes, everyone else, not so much
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 03-01-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Haha is that really a debate though?

To me DJ is the type of guy that you give a max because thats his market value but he isn't REALLY a max player in the traditional sense. He is a great piece if you have other superstars around him and are built to make up for his deficiencies and throw lobs to him and such.

Gasol is the type of guy 20+ teams in the league would gladly throw a max at and use as a cornerstone of their franchise.

I think even the Clippers would take Gasol over Jordan.
    Name me a team who take Jordan over Gasol. Hell, name me a team who take another pivot over Gasol. He is the best in the NBA right now.

AD and Gasol would be best duo in the history of NBA, no doubt. However, we cannot get Gasol this summer. It's simply impossible. Absurd. Futile. Preposterous. Unimaginable...

I'm not saying Jordan is better but you guys are drastically underestimating Jordan's talents. Watch him play.

Glen Davis would be an awesome dirt cheap sub. He would add the girth to the squad needed to keep some dudes outta the paint and he can score from the post. good 7th guy IMO

It's not Gasol vs. Jordan.

It's Gasol on THIS TEAM vs. Jordan on THIS TEAM

We are loaded with guys who need the ball already. Gasol's usage rate is nearly double Jordan's (25% to 13%) Jordan doesn't care if he gets the ball, is a beast on the boards, and never misses a game. He is also 4 years younger.

It's a debate - it's not a no brainer either way.

It's not Gasol vs. Jordan.

It's Gasol on THIS TEAM vs. Jordan on THIS TEAM

We are loaded with guys who need the ball already. Jordan doesn't care if he gets the ball, is a beast on the boards, and never misses a game. He is also 4 years younger.

It's a debate - it's not a no brainer either way.
    I still take Gasol 10 out of 10 times if I'm tying up a max contract in a guy.

Him and Davis you can build around and create an all time great front court IMO.

Jordan would be helpful with guys like Evans thanks to his finishing ability and play around the rim but I am of the opinion I really don't want Evans long term. So to me that takes away the biggest problem of having too many guys that need the ball in their hands.

Jordan would be much better in an up tempo offense then Gasol but he is a liability in late games where we have struggled to stop scoring and keep pace.

At the end of the day I would gladly take either but I would prefer Gasol.

I wish Gasol would come to N.O. But I'm like Michael he has a great team Memphis that in my mind can contend for a title. I don't see any reason for him to leave. But man would him and A.D. Be fantastic or what. Jordan also would be great. He is a great rebounder and defensive player which is what we need more of is defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLHornetsFan View Post
    I wish Gasol would come to N.O. But I'm like Michael he has a great team Memphis that in my mind can contend for a title. I don't see any reason for him to leave. But man would him and A.D. Be fantastic or what. Jordan also would be great. He is a great rebounder and defensive player which is what we need more of is defense.
    I mean, I get it. Pels with Gasol over next 4 years will likely be better than Memphis with Gasol over next 4 years.

I just don't think players think like that when they are inside the situation. Every player on Memphis thinks they can win the title this year and the next 4-5 years. I would politely disagree. But they have to think that way to be great players.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Wasn't nolaslim the one that kept saying Dwight Howard wanted to come here to play with CP3?

Thread Information