Pelicans Report

Thread: Westbrook out for Sunday, will be re-evaluated next week.

Westbrook out for Sunday, will be re-evaluated next week.

RT @DarnellMayberry: Westbrook underwent a surgical procedure on a fracture to his zygomatic arch bone. He will miss Sunday's game. Will be reevaluated this week
    The window to the playoffs just opened a little bit more.

So this is huge for us.

They play the Lakers.
    They should win without both Durant and Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    They play the Lakers.
    With who?? Lol Augustine come on even the lowly Lakers can win

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So this is huge for us.
    I know nothing about this injury but theoretically we could be the 8th seed by tomorrow night. Not that that would matter if we go on to lose the spot a few games later.

This couldn't of happened at a better time from the Thunder perspective. They play the Lakers tomorrow then get to rest til Wednesday and play Philly.

This is why I said the window opens just a little more because even without Durant and Westbrook they should beat Philly and LAL.

If he stays out a full week that could be huge though. They would most likely drop both games to Toronto and Chicago.

I don't get how their remaining schedule is so easy. It felt like the beginning part of it was easy too. Where were all their hard games and 4 in 5 night stretches?

Anyway, I expect Westbrook to only miss Sunday. Or Sunday and Wed. at the most (home vs Philly)

That said, the Lakers have won 3 in a row. It's possible that OKC could lose one game that they otherwise wouldn't have before.

I am still not a playoff believer (though I am rooting!) so I am starting to wonder about how this could effect us in other ways. Specifically, I am just hoping that AD comes back when he is right, not rush back because we are back neck-and-neck with OKC. Same with Holiday. If shutting him down this season is the right thing to do long term, then do it.

Now, I hope they come back and play well as soon as possible. But please don't risk future years for this one.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    They play the Lakers.
    It's not about this one game. Dude had to have SURGERY ON HIS FACE. They are giving it a week to see but I simply can't imagine it not being longer. A Doctor last night said if it was a fracture you are looking at 4-6 weeks, if he had surgery on it, it was 4-6 months recovery.

Now we hear he had to have surgery. I've got to imagine they make him sit at least long enough to let the bone set.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I know nothing about this injury but theoretically we could be the 8th seed by tomorrow night. Not that that would matter if we go on to lose the spot a few games later.

This couldn't of happened at a better time from the Thunder perspective. They play the Lakers tomorrow then get to rest til Wednesday and play Philly.

This is why I said the window opens just a little more because even without Durant and Westbrook they should beat Philly and LAL.

If he stays out a full week that could be huge though. They would most likely drop both games to Toronto and Chicago.
    See my previous post but I have to imagine he is out a lot longer than 1 week.

No chance. Wojo just tweeted he would play tomorrow if it were a playoff game. At most, he misses LAL and Philly.

This isn't a game changing injury, sadly. Not that I would want anyone to get hurt

Interesting. I tried a quick google search and couldn't find any definitive answers on a time table. One site seems to say avoiding contact sports for several weeks after surgery so that is in line with what you said.

But the way it is phrased from the team and ESPN is reporting it, makes it sound like it will be a relatively short time table til he is back.

So he will be donning a mask? Who was it that loved the mask? Somebody played (what seemed to be) their entire career with a mask.
    NVM, it was RIP Hamilton.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    No chance. Wojo just tweeted he would play tomorrow if it were a playoff game. At most, he misses LAL and Philly.

This isn't a game changing injury, sadly. Not that I would want anyone to get hurt
    I just read Woz's tweet too.

@WojYahooNBA: Russell Westbrook won't miss much time with surgery. "If he had a playoff game (Sunday), he could play," league source tells Yahoo Sports.

I'm simply basing it off of a conversation that Talkhoops had with a doctor after the game:

@callmebiscuits: @talkhoops 8-10 weeks recovery time for cheek bone fracture, that bone was completely displaced probably surgery probably 4-6 month recovery

Of course he is probably talking about recovery for normal people not involved in professional sports. Still it's interesting, the closest thing we've seen to this injury this year was Rondo's which was "only" an orbital fracture who missed 6 games and had all All-Star break to recover.

This is a complete break of the Zygomatic bone. I could not imagine he misses less time than Rondo with only a fracture. I am basing this only off of other medical professionals however.

Maybe he is Superman. Lol

Don't forget Rickey Jackson didn't miss any Saints game after a similar injury
    But he did get to wear a helmet
    Season ticket holder since 2002
    Mostly just trying to satisfy my OCD tendencies by getting to 3,000 posts

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

Just for clarification, the BOLD part wasnt a part of the Woj tweet.

It's possible he misses only one game, but it's also possible that since these aren't playoff games, they hold him out longer than they would if the stakes were higher. Seems like a situation where he'll have to wear a mask and could play, but probably shouldn't. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's out more than a week and returns vs Clippers at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDJ1 View Post
    Don't forget Rickey Jackson didn't miss any Saints game after a similar injury
    But he did get to wear a helmet
    Do you have any personal take on this DRDJ?

I would be happy even if it is just the Lakers.

We both have tough schedules to end the season, us arguably more so then them. IF they drop to the Lakers that can be a difference maker and a motivational tool for the team to rally around when they see us at the 8 spot.

Though like MM said, I don't want the players to rush back too soon either.

Honestly they will miss the playoffs if this dude is out for four months. They could still make it with him if only Durant were out.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Honestly they will miss the playoffs if this dude is out for four months. They could still make it with him if only Durant were out.
    I think both have shown they can keep this team afloat without the other. Durant last year had his best stretch of games in his career without Westbrook and now Westbrook is putting up some gaudy numbers without Durant.

Do you have any personal take on this DRDJ?
    Impossible to accurately speculate recovery time without more specific information, but sounds like his prognosis is good for a quick return. I base this off of the picture of his injury. His fracture appeared to be limited to the lateral zygomatic arch on the right. (Have you seen the pictures of the dent in his face?) Although impressive it did not appear to affect the orbit or maxilla. I suspect this was repaired using a tiny incision perhaps near the temporal region with reduction of the bone to improve Russell's cosmetic outcome and stabilization with wires to reduce further injury risk and promote healing. This should cause minor pain and swelling.
    I expect his biggest problem will be eating since he may have to rely on liquids and soft foods for a few days. He may lose a little weight as a result.
    When more detailed information about the injury and procedure are released we will all have a better idea about his recovery.
    BTW, I was watching the game and commented to my wife earlier that Russell has some of the most prominent cheekbones I have ever seen. Also he is a bulldog I'm sure he will want to return and compete as soon as possible.

The Franchise    Contributor   

We aren't gong to get any accurate information anymore than we are going to get info about our own injuries.... And Russ is a freaking alien, probably recuperating in his ice fortress in the artic at the moment

Sounds like he will play tonight with mask.

Last edited by 4Real; 03-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Every team that plays them will probably "accidentally" hit his face.

Dude is a warrior for sure playing with that injury.

While I am sure every team will hit his face, I am sure McGary and Adams will hit the faces of those who hit Westbrook's face.

Fun times ahead.

Thread Information