Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monty Williams Could Be NBA Coach Of The Year If We Make The Playoffs!

Pelicans Monty Williams Could Be NBA Coach Of The Year If We Make The Playoffs!

Some of you that wanted Monty fired could soon have egg on the face if we keep this up. Monty has done a good job keeping team together during these injuries. The team is fighting and wants to win. They are responding to Monty now. This is great isn't it! Admit it Monty is doing a good job!

Byron Scott, Mike Brown and Scott Brooks all have won coach of the year. I really don't put a whole lot of stock into the award.

With that said Monty has coached some good games this season. He has done well since the break. I still don't like his system but I can give credit where it is due.

Coach of the year has been our kiss of death.

Monty is doing. Hell of a job lately. I'm not surprised tho cause he seems to always do better with less talent.

Formerly "Rocket Man" groundpatty's Avatar
    Wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't he a finalist in 2011? Obviously way different situation though

Calm down its 4 games.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Some of you that wanted Monty fired could soon have egg on the face if we keep this up. Monty has done a good job keeping team together during these injuries. The team is fighting and wants to win. They are responding to Monty now. This is great isn't it! Admit it Monty is doing a good job!

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Lol perfect

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Calm down its 4 games.
    Quite right....we're playing superb right now but let's not forget some of the absolutely dog awful performances on our east coast road trip against the worst teams in the league which we flattered to deceive in.

Some nights we can beat anyone...other nights we are just terrible. With some consistency we'd be top 3 or 4.
    '' We are here!!''

We can't beat the Nuggets

One does not win coach of the year by getting a team with one of the best players in the NBA, another all-star, and several other very talented players to the eighth slot in the playoffs. That's not to take anything away from this four-game winning streak, in which he has been outstanding. This is just another case of the "recency bias" that MM speaks of all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Much of the criticism of Monty stands. He has nearly always done a horrible job (ie the opposite of what fans want) when he has limited choices. Demps has finally been able to balance the roster taking away the opportunity for Monty to make bad choices. I also do wonder if Anderson being out is more of a positive rather than a negative. I just think he has been over and misused this year, and injury has taken that option away from Monty as well and forced him to play an actual backup center in Ajinca rather than Anderson out of position.

If Montys winning proves anything its that Demps knows how to build a well rounded roster.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If Montys winning proves anything its that Demps knows how to build a well rounded roster.
    If Demps had been able to make these acquisitions in the offseason rather than mid season, both he and Monty would be being praised and we'd be battling for the 6-7 seed as OKC hoped they could overtake the Spurs for 8.

That's being a bit presumptuous. Your still talking about Monty.

Banned
    Coaching matters, right now, especially. Last night McGary was killing Portland and probably through rigid sub patterns Brooks took him out. Bang...the lead went away. Monty other than letting Cole almost kill us has done a superb job. Awesome.

I think if we started the season with the Roster we have now, we would be sitting comfortably in the playoffs. Gotta give Monty some credit, he had to play Austin Rivers 20 mpg, that's at least 35-40 possessions working against you every game.

Coaching does matter, but Monty isn't that good a coach either. He is a top notch assistant, but has yet to prove he is a coach worthy of being one of the 5 longest tenured coaches in the NBA.

Great person. Avg. coach.

Any mention of him as coach of the year should obviously be met with people claiming resency bias.

Monty for coach of the year??

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    Much of the criticism of Monty stands. He has nearly always done a horrible job (ie the opposite of what fans want) when he has limited choices. Demps has finally been able to balance the roster taking away the opportunity for Monty to make bad choices. I also do wonder if Anderson being out is more of a positive rather than a negative. I just think he has been over and misused this year, and injury has taken that option away from Monty as well and forced him to play an actual backup center in Ajinca rather than Anderson out of position.
    Most fans don't know jack, so i'm glad he's doing the opposite of what the fans want. Chances are, most (not all) of the people calling for his head couldn't pass a basketball 101 course. To judge a guy for not giving the fans "what they want" is ludicrous.

So now our coach is being judged by if he's doing "what the fans want him to do"?? Bwahahahahaha that's a good one. You honestly can't be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Most fans don't know jack, so i'm glad he's doing the opposite of what the fans want. Chances are, most (not all) of the people calling for his head couldn't pass a basketball 101 course. To judge a guy for not giving the fans "what they want" is ludicrous.
    Ok I didn't see this. I guess I could've just said +1k to this post n saved some finger strength this morning lol

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    So now our coach is being judged by if he's doing "what the fans want him to do"?? Bwahahahahaha that's a good one. You honestly can't be serious.
    +1k

Monty Williams Could Be NBA Coach Of The Year If We Make The Playoffs!

I think that not having Anderson is a huge reason for our success. Anyone have the numbers of our win/loss when Anderson has been out?

Edit: Nevermind he has only been out six games. Seemed like more.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 02-28-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Thread Information