Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Monty Williams Could Be NBA Coach Of The Year If We Make The Playoffs!

J Kidd should be in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    Monty is my MVP
    Screw you, Jimmy Freedett for MVP. He is da GOAT bruh.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Screw you, Jimmy Freedett for MVP. He is da GOAT bruh.
    Well you certainly can't depend on Asik or Evans in the final seconds.

And lol to the people that wanted to trade for DeAndre Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    I would bring him back (tbh), pay him the vet minimum, and just bring him in for the last 10 seconds of a game. It would save him from having to go to Europe (or China) as this season has been a poor showing from him, and his time in the NBA is looking more Joe Alexander than Matt Bonner. Very small deal, but you have a 100% guarantee on what he is good at (which it turns out isn't shooting the ball from behind the arc).

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Hasn't Evans closed almost every game for us except the recent one he fouled out in?

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Hasn't Evans closed almost every game for us except the recent one he fouled out in?
    Check his stats again. Would you let Evans take the final shot? Thankfully Monty got Lil jimmy in there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    He really should be.

I have to say I was 100% wrong about that guy.

The more I hear about him the more I like.

His defensive system is impressive and everyone seems to really respect him there.

And I like the little things like giving his players(almost all young guys) little group scouting tests with multiple choice and fill in the blank questions about their opponents, basketball knowledge, the people they are in a fight for in terms of playoff position and league history. Allowing them to work together and learn as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    He really should be.

I have to say I was 100% wrong about that guy.

The more I hear about him the more I like.

His defensive system is impressive and everyone seems to really respect him there.

And I like the little things like giving his players(almost all young guys) little group scouting tests with multiple choice and fill in the blank questions about their opponents, basketball knowledge, the people they are in a fight for in terms of playoff position and league history. Allowing them to work together and learn as a group.
    I'm with you, and I also thought Lionel Hollins was a really good coach who got a raw deal in Memphis.... Must just be that Billy King dysfunction dripping down onto everyone.

little history. only numbers, without commentar.
    NOP stands now at at 33-28
    games played so far (21 to go)
    AD 49, Jrue 37, Ryno 52, Gordon 40, Evans 60, Asik 57
    last year 34-48
    AD 67, Jrue 34, Ryno 22, Gordon 64, Evans72, plus Morrow plus trash like Stiemer (55 games)

tomorrow we probably equal the amount of wins from last season. with 20 games to go. twenty
    no matter of consistency and other s**t

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I would bring him back (tbh), pay him the vet minimum, and just bring him in for the last 10 seconds of a game. It would save him from having to go to Europe (or China) as this season has been a poor showing from him, and his time in the NBA is looking more Joe Alexander than Matt Bonner. Very small deal, but you have a 100% guarantee on what he is good at (which it turns out isn't shooting the ball from behind the arc).
    I would give the ball to Quincy before I give it to Evans in the final seconds.

Some of you owe Monty an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post

Seriously if he takes this injury riddled team to the playoffs he has to bc no other team has this many scorers injured and dnt give me OKC or chi they've had one or the other not all 3 or 4

I don't see how Kerr loses it.

The criticism was too overblown when they were losing. Now, we will go too far the other way with the wins.

We should always be evaluating him regardless of the end result. Personally, I have two issues:

1. The conservative coaching when elite players get 2 fouls in the 1st half or 4 in the 4th quarter.

2. The pace we play at

I think there are upgrades out there, and guys who can be worse too. I am always open to upgrades, and if it presents itself, I would jump. But I don't think he is a bad coach and we could do worse too
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The criticism was too overblown when they were losing. Now, we will go too far the other way with the wins.

We should always be evaluating him regardless of the end result. Personally, I have two issues:

1. The conservative coaching when elite players get 2 fouls in the 1st half or 4 in the 4th quarter.

2. The pace we play at

I think there are upgrades out there, and guys who can be worse too. I am always open to upgrades, and if it presents itself, I would jump. But I don't think he is a bad coach and we could do worse too

I disagree about the pace. We should be a slow paced team offensively. Our turnover rate is pretty good, we're top 10 in offensive efficiency, and we're a poor defensive team. Our defense would really struggle if our pace increased.

The team needs to slow the pace and have heavy ball movement, especially since its an average shooting team, but a very good offensive rebounding team which would be harder to do with a faster pace.

Emeka Okafor - Joe Smith - Carmelo Anthony - Manu Ginobili - Jason Williams

Al Jefferson - James Posey - Aaron McKie - Shaun Livingston

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

2. The pace we play at

I'm just not all that displeased with the tempo lately, especially when Cole is running the point.... there are times to push it and times to slow things down, yet move the ball efficiently at the same time..... cut down on silly turnovers, hit the open shot with a little more consistency and I'm ok with the pace....my biggest issue with Williams has never changed over the past several years (although he has gotten better at it) and that's he still seems slow to make personnel adjustments at times....Ajinca was given the opportunity to get involved offensively this game when he should have been getting more of Asik's minutes the other night for offensive purposes as well....and I agree with MM about letting the foul situation affect the decision of getting your best guys on the floor whenever possible..... tired or hurting, of course, requires sitting, but I don''t believe the "final" numbers will support the conservative approach we often see from him when it comes to fouls....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

You wouldn't think about coach of the year after he was booed during starting lineup announcements at the SKC Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    You wouldn't think about coach of the year after he was booed during starting lineup announcements at the SKC Saturday night.
    ^That really happened? Fans.are.dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    The fans have also taken to booing Asik lately, too. Things like that have actually dissuaded me a few times from making the long trip to NOLA to see the team play this season. The home game after a loss has a negative atmosphere and just isn't fun to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Sure did. I mean it was after a frustrating loss to Boston but still kind of sad. I don't think he has warranted those kind of boos. Maybe end of a game like Boston but he deserves some type of respect for at least keeping us in the playoff race with all of these injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Sure did. I mean it was after a frustrating loss to Boston but still kind of sad. I don't think he has warranted those kind of boos. Maybe end of a game like Boston but he deserves some type of respect for at least keeping us in the playoff race with all of these injuries.
    Maybe there were a lot of Memphis fans?

If he wins NBA coach of the year this year, can management still fire him if they want to?

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    If he wins NBA coach of the year this year, can management still fire him if they want to?
    Check the list of coaches that were fired after winning this award. It's comical...

Thread Information