Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pels/Heat game on ESPN

Pelicans Pels/Heat game on ESPN

National TV tomorrow night? Is my channel guide right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    National TV tomorrow night? Is my channel guide right?
    ITS 4REAL

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Pels have a real strong chance to be a half game back of OKC at the end of the night tomorrow.

Can't believe some Pelicans' blogger on Twitter said we should be pulling for OKC vs Suns. That's asinine! We need the guys ahead of us to accumulate as many L's as possible, and every L matters.

we have won 3 in a row, we just beat a bad team.. chances of beating another bad team back to back is slim for the pels
    Sad that AD ain't playing when its on national TV, his injury has made him forgotten around the league lately

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Pels have a real strong chance to be a half game back of OKC at the end of the night tomorrow.

Can't believe some Pelicans' blogger on Twitter said we should be pulling for OKC vs Suns. That's asinine! We need the guys ahead of us to accumulate as many L's as possible, and every L matters.
    Well, before this week, some said we had zero chance of making the playoffs, . Well, after winning 3 in a row & OKC losing in ot, we now have a 2% chance of catching the Spurs ? That's our only 2% ! Everybody got that. OKC is a shoo in!

This is the cycle, and my only point.

After one loss by OKC, people are now setting themselves up for playoffs as an expectation. And that's fine. You guys do your thing, I will do mine.

But, if and when it doesn't happen, don't blame the team or the players for your anger. Don't come on here after the next bad loss and rant about this player or that coach. Because it was YOU who set up the expectations. So, hold yourself accountable for your anger after the loss.

This cycle continues to happen. Over optimism after a few things go our way, and then a bad streak occurs and people go too far on the other end. We know the pattern by now, so why not try to stay more in the middle?
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post

After one loss by OKC, people are now setting themselves up for playoffs as an expectation. And that's fine. You guys do your thing, I will do mine.

But, if and when it doesn't happen, don't blame the team or the players for your anger. Don't come on here after the next bad loss and rant about this player or that coach. Because it was YOU who set up the expectations. So, hold yourself accountable for your anger after the loss.

This cycle continues to happen. Over optimism after a few things go our way, and then a bad streak occurs and people go too far on the other end. We know the pattern by now, so why not try to stay more in the middle?
    It's not about expectation, it's about what is still very feasible & us fans are hopeful of a playoff spot.I find it amazing ( that is unless you have a Masters in Psycholgy/Psxhiatry) that, you are able,in your infinite wisdom to tell us what we are setting ourselves up for. Tell me, > What am I thinking now? We have a chance, that's all . I don't think that US peon fans are analytically equating who to blame & what bridge to jump off if they don't make it! In the moment, that's where we are. Stick to statistical analytics & leave the brain probing to those who are qualified!
    Last edited by Tinman; 02-27-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

Pelicans fans be like:

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    It's not about expectation, it's about what is still very feasible & us fans are hopeful of a playoff spot.I find it amazing ( that is unless you have a Masters in Psycholgy/Psxhiatry) that, you are able,in your infinite wisdom to tell us what we are setting ourselves up for. Tell me, > What am I thinking now? We have a chance, that's all . I don't think that US peon fans are analytically equating who to blame & what bridge to jump off if they don't make it! In the moment, that's where we are. Stick to statistical analytics & leave the brain probing to those who are qualified!

Das not berry nice.

I think you're right in the sense than expectations are the main source of frustration with the team at the moment; and that fans tend to be on one extreme end of the spectrum at a given time based largely on the 3-5 games during an 82 game season. But that's kind of what sports fandom is, no? Fanaticism. And this is a discussion amoung a bunch of fans, we don't have any real power to fire the coach or anything. Its why you become a fan. You get to go ape **** crazy during big wins and you rant irrationally during the losing times. Tempering expectations might be good in terms of keeping everything rational, but that's just not what it is about for a lot of people. You have to rational at work all day or whatever it is, basketball is an outlet for emotion and fanaticism. Entertainment not analysis.
    I appreciate the level-headed approach but I don't think we should tell people not to come here and rant after a loss. If you don't want to hear people doing it, there's really no reason to read it. Let people vent, who cares.
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 02-27-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Pelicans fans be like:

Man,what are the odds that you are talking about bipolar & there's a polar bear in the picture? That blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    I think you're right in the sense than expectations are the main source of frustration with the team at the moment; and that fans tend to be on one extreme end of the spectrum at a given time based largely on the 3-5 games during an 82 game season. But that's kind of what sports fandom is, no? Fanaticism. And this is a discussion amoung a bunch of fans, we don't have any real power to fire the coach or anything. Its why you become a fan. You get to go ape **** crazy during big wins and you rant irrationally during the losing times. Tempering expectations might be good in terms of keeping everything rational, but that's just not what it is about for a lot of people. You have to rational at work all day or whatever it is, basketball is an outlet for emotion and fanaticism. Entertainment not analysis.
    I appreciate the level-headed approach but I don't think we should tell people not to come here and rant after a loss. If you don't want to hear people doing it, there's really no reason to read it. Let people vent, who cares.
    Everyone has an OPEN MIND as long as you agree w/ their point of view !

I simply hope the Pelicans can gain continuity as a team, which hopefully will equal wins.....and secondly health, with that I'm confident we'll win more than we lose. As far as the playoffs, that would just be lagniappe IMO.

34-48 was our record last season.

I would love to make the playoffs. LOVE!

But I'll be happy with finishing the season over .500. This still shows great progress, especially since we're dealing with injuries AGAIN this season.

McNamera it's ****ing basketball.. Seriously this is just a hobby for everyone here and just like every other sports fan in this world we get happy/excited/ hopeful when they win and sad/angry when they lose. That's the beauty of sports, to invest and put your emotions in something out of your control for a couple hours on game days. Of course we should expect the playoffs, that's the whole point. I don't care for excuses or explanations I just want to see wins. These guys get paid millions to play and while I lose time out of my day to watch them play. The day I have to convince myself that I should not expect wins or just watch to see "development" I the day I will stop giving a ****.

So please stop trying to tell people what to expect/ not expect and how to act. Everyone should expect and hope for nothing less than a championship every year because at the end of the day this is just a game that means very little in our daily lives and the whole reason we waste time and money is to see wins.

Aren't we like 0-whatever in national televised games?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    No better time to change that than now...

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. This game and the rest of the season. It's pretty simple.

When they lose and I expect them to win, it gives me a headache. So for my own well being, I aint expecting them to win squat while all these bodies are piled up on the treatment table.

These last two games have just been pleasant surprise, but I do not expect playoffs or even a victory tonight. This bipolar team won't take me down with them.

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    This year? 0-2 (not counting NBA TV). But we won our ESPN game last year here against the Wolves on Feb 7 2014.

I'm not putting much stock into the 0-2 in nationally televised games thing.

Wasn't one of the games @GSW? I mean that should of been a schedule loss after about a week into the season in this teams mind regardless of venue or broadcast.

Can't rememwbr the other one so I can't comment there.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm not putting much stock into the 0-2 in nationally televised games thing.

Wasn't one of the games @GSW? I mean that should of been a schedule loss after about a week into the season in this teams mind regardless of venue or broadcast.

Can't rememwbr the other one so I can't comment there.
    @GSW and @DAL. In Dallas, Jrue and AD both scored a lot and played great. Game was close but Monta Ellis made some crazy shots at the end to seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by iNolaNightmare View Post
    @GSW and @DAL. In Dallas, Jrue and AD both scored a lot and played great. Game was close but Monta Ellis made some crazy shots at the end to seal the deal.
    Well there you go.

The 0-2 in nationally televised games might have some merit(not much) if those two games were at home against comparable competition to tonight's Heat team without Bosh and we lost.

Even if we lost tonight it would be a huge reach to say the spotlight of national TV was a driving factor.

Thread Information