Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pels/Heat game on ESPN

As a fan, How can you root for anything less than championship? I've seen I just want to get better or let's just be .500. That's crap. Name me 1 championship team that thinks that way. It boggles my mind when I read that we don't need to win because we won't contend until 2018. Really? That might be the dumbest ish that I've ever heard. Winning is the object of the game and that's what the Pels should be doing. Anything else is failure IMO.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    As a fan, How can you root for anything less than championship? I've seen I just want to get better or let's just be .500. That's crap. Name me 1 championship team that thinks that way. It boggles my mind when I read that we don't need to win because we won't contend until 2018. Really? That might be the dumbest ish that I've ever heard. Winning is the object of the game and that's what the Pels should be doing. Anything else is failure IMO.
    Root for? Yep.

Expect? Nope.

This is the difference IMO. You start to expect things and that is where the overreaction starts to become normal. I am rooting HARD for a championship this year. But I am expecting far less than that. To me, there is a difference.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Root for? Yep.

Expect? Nope.

This is the difference IMO. You start to expect things and that is where the overreaction starts to become normal. I am rooting HARD for a championship this year. But I am expecting far less than that. To me, there is a difference.
    There is a difference. You are correct sir

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    YES!

I like our passionate fans. I think we have good enough pieces on this team to expect great things.

What I expect for the remaining games is. Up's and downs just like the whole season , no matter who plays. I expect us to miss the playoffs by about 3-4 games, REALLY hope we squeeze in , but don't expect it. What I am realistically hoping to see is how well Cole , Babbitt , Ajinca and Asik progress . I really want to know who is worth keeping next yr.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Root for? Yep.

Expect? Nope.

Why can't we just separate the two?

Wouldn't it be apropos to suggest that we expect and root for playoffs, but given the competition and the injuries we not overreact and jump off a bridge if we don't make it?! Or if that's too much, you can just leave it at Playoffs are possible, but don't overreact if it we fall short.

I think the problem people have with you is when you say playoffs aren't happening, that we should all get over it, and then tweet/write/post condescendingly of people who can read and look at standings and assess that we are still very much in the playoff race. I mean you said folks are illogical, blind, or just crazy optimists... For thinking a team a 1/2 game out with 20+ to go can still make playoffs! That's being a bit of a troll.

I think what got me crosswise a bit this year was that we would beat a lot of good teams--enough so they weren't just flukes--and then beef it against the dregs of the league. I had no championship expectations, but I guess I did expect something: I expected that we were in a place where we could regularly beat sub .500 teams even if we had one or two key guys out, like good teams do. Like we've done the past week. So when we choked on that east coast swing and cratered before the all-star break and then looked awful against Orlando the first game back (my vote for worst loss of the year so far), yes, my expectations were thwarted and I was grim. Given a choice, I think I'd rather us have consistently beat the bad teams on our schedule than beaten the good teams. That's a sign of steady progress of incremental improvement. What we did this year made me think there is something wrong at the core of the team that allows it to be this inconsistent.

The upside of all the injuries? No more elevated hopes. The last week has been a pure pleasure. And even if we lose tonight (a distinct possibility if our role players come back to earth) I'll be happy so long as we compete. Bless the soft bigotry of low expectations...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Ok I know Jrue is still out for possibly quite a while, but what's the ETA on AD and Ryno now? I don't guess they're playing tonight or we would have heard by now, but are there any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Ok I know Jrue is still out for possibly quite a while, but what's the ETA on AD and Ryno now? I don't guess they're playing tonight or we would have heard by now, but are there any updates?
    The Pelicans aren't the biggest fans of providing injury updates very often.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I expect playoffs if we win this game and 90 percent of March. We can do it. Team plays better under pressure!!!

My prediction at the beginning of the year was we'd miss the playoffs as the 9th spot. If we miss it I think we'll be 9th. Guys lets face it. Even if we get in the playoffs we will get destroyed by GSW.

The additions this year in DC, Quincy, and Cole are the reason we're contending down arguably our three best piieces/players. Monty coaches this unit like we're the Spurs of last year resting Duncan/Manu. Crazy.
    "..but there's Baron dribbling the ball for 20 seconds, hoisting bad 3s and single-handedly killing them in close games. It's like somebody shrunk Antoine Walker and gave him his own team."
    - Bill Simmons (2006)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Thread Information