Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If the Pelicans were to make the playoffs, will it be over Spurs or Thunder?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    People up here in OKC LOVE to complain about Westbrook. He is their scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

He is their Tyreke.
    They are exactly the same type of player. I might actually believe Tyreke is more of a team player. Actually, I without a doubt believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    They are exactly the same type of player. I might actually believe Tyreke is more of a team player. Actually, I without a doubt believe it.
    He certainly is. Westbrook would never agree to come off the bench or listen to criticism about how he needs to change his game.

Tyreke is certainly a better facilitator than Westbrook, but he's not nearly as dynamic a scorer so I'm glad he doesn't dominate the ball like Russell does. I'm sure Westbrook can be frustrating at times, but it's hard to say you wouldn't want a talent like that on your team. The issue with Tyreke is that he will go away from his strength at critical times in the game, hoisting low percentage jumpers and fall aways instead of going to the hole where is much more effective. The ball also sticks in his hands, which is predictable given his skill set. Still, he's very capable of moving the ball and a willing passer. He just needs to work on his situational skills. Sometimes I look at Tyreke as being almost like a young JKidd---a big lead guard with nightly triple-double potential, possessing deft passing skills and a suspect jumper (Kidd's got a lot better later in his career). The big difference between them being Kidd always looked to push it, always had his head up looking downcourt for teammates. I'd like to see Tyreke get a lot less deliberate and play with more intensity. That's one thing I think a coaching change might help with, picking up our pace of play. This is a team that should run a lot more than it does.

Evans can pass but he isn't a good facilitator. I will say that last game I saw him step up in that role better then I have most games this season. But he still has too much tunnel vision at times.

Westbrook would be a step up here because we have no true elite level second option next to Davis or a group of elite and cohesive role players next to Davis like Dallas had with Dirk that can be the substitute for that.

Evans game isn't multi-dimensional enough to be that, jrue is too timid most of the time and inconsistent and gordon is settling into the role of being an elite third or fourth scoring option on a championship team, but I think the days of thinking he can be a elite #1 or #2 option on a very good team are gone and probably never should of been there in the first place.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-27-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Tyreke is certainly a better facilitator than Westbrook, but he's not nearly as dynamic a scorer so I'm glad he doesn't dominate the ball like Russell does. I'm sure Westbrook can be frustrating at times, but it's hard to say you wouldn't want a talent like that on your team. The issue with Tyreke is that he will go away from his strength at critical times in the game, hoisting low percentage jumpers and fall aways instead of going to the hole where is much more effective. The ball also sticks in his hands, which is predictable given his skill set. Still, he's very capable of moving the ball and a willing passer. He just needs to work on his situational skills. Sometimes I look at Tyreke as being almost like a young JKidd---a big lead guard with nightly triple-double potential, possessing deft passing skills and a suspect jumper (Kidd's got a lot better later in his career). The big difference between them being Kidd always looked to push it, always had his head up looking downcourt for teammates. I'd like to see Tyreke get a lot less deliberate and play with more intensity. That's one thing I think a coaching change might help with, picking up our pace of play. This is a team that should run a lot more than it does.
    Yeah. Westbrook never goes away from his strengths during a game. That's why he took 10 3pt shots last game.

You give Tyreke the same amount of free throws, suddenly his numbers skyrocket.

simple answer, we have no idea... Tomorrow westbrook and durant could go down for the season, or so could tony parker and duncan...

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    simple answer, we have no idea... Tomorrow westbrook and durant could go down for the season, or so could tony parker and duncan...
    Looks like it will be the Thunder. With Durant already sitting and Westbrook getting the dent in his face. I have to imagine westbrook will be out for some time. Maybe surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by goat gorilla View Post
    Looks like it will be the Thunder. With Durant already sitting and Westbrook getting the dent in his face. I have to imagine westbrook will be out for some time. Maybe surgery.
    Based off simply pictures a Doctor thought it looked like a fractured cheek bone 4-8 weeks. If it is too severe required surgery 4-6 months. Of course he said we'd have to wait and see what the thunder say but that was his guess.

Banned
    Do we still only have a 2% chance of making the playoffs. Just wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Do we still only have a 2% chance of making the playoffs. Just wanted to know.
    IMO, yes. But I don't know why you guys care or talk so much about my opinion on this subject.

If you have another one, then promote it and think whatever you want to think. Wasting your time referencing my beliefs is a waste of your time.
    @mcnamara247

no matter of % chances as fans we still believe in playoffs. we do not have to catch anybody yet. we can rely on ourselves.so if okc will lose we will have a game in hand etc.
    we see that team is developing and thanks tó the new additions chemistry is better.
    so:

1. 5 next games are important for team confidence. if we will pass this test we can start to be consistent
    2. i firmly believe that AD will play tomorrow. everybody seen our bench after miami game. something good is happening there.
    we are talented enough to make a shot on po. and guys are starting to believe in it.

remaining schedule is brutal in parts. but you have to remember that some teams who are sure of postseason might not go on 100% with us.
    i see the stretch of 4-1 with okc losing to lakers sans russ. as well as spurs and clips.
    i see the scenario that season finale vs spurs is on 7-8 place.

but first denver without aflalo
    and dallas hopefully without two chandlers

i think that westbrook will not play in 2 games
    go lakers and sixers. ugh...

I think its probably a bit higher now. The Thunder without Westbrook and Durant and thinner than we are without AD, Ryno and Jrue which is a credit to the Pels FO.

This really all depends on injury duration. If AD comes back before either of the Thunder stars then our chances go up.

The landscape has changed in 4 games though. Our competition is for 8 with the Thunder and Suns, the Spurs are essentially out of reach. Never wish an injury on anyone but the Westbrook fracture may be the break we needed. The last 3 wins with our injury riddled team might prove the difference and those guys deserve a ton of credit.

I really don't care about the playoffs....It would be a great accomplishment considering what this team has gone through injury wise. But, the bigger picture is developing a winners mentality. 45-47 wins would be just as big as making the playoffs IMO.......GO Pels !

Banned
    How can it not be higher...geez.

Not wanting to make the playoffs is a defeatist attitude. How about we make the playoffs while we're getting better? I don't understand the logic behind not wanting to make the playoffs as long as we have a better record. On the flip side, if Monty increases our wins from 24-34, we'd be calling for him to be fired. Contradictory in thought process to me
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Not wanting to make the playoffs is a defeatist attitude. How about we make the playoffs while we're getting better? I don't understand the logic behind not wanting to make the playoffs as long as we have a better record. On the flip side, if Monty increases our wins from 24-34, we'd be calling for him to be fired. Contradictory in thought process to me
    Maybe I have missed something, but I have not seen one person on this board ever say that they didn't want the Pels to make the playoffs.

How can it not be higher...geez.
    The schedule.

We have 7 games in the next 10 days. Two road back to backs. And this is the easy part of our schedule. April is brutal.

OKC will be full strength by the end of the week while we will still be w/o Ryno and Jrue - and maybe Jrue for the rest of the year. Meanwhile, OKC's schedule is a breeze in comparison and when both teams are healthy, OKC is the superior team. And that is not an insult IMO. I think OKC is a top 4 team in the NBA if healthy.

If we were tied with LAC, Dallas, or SA right now, I would put playoffs at over 50%. I just personally think that OKC is an elite team and their schedule is much easier than ours moving forward when you look at opponents, home games vs. road, and X games in Y days stretches.

This would be my thinking if I wasn't a fan of either team - just an objective observer. So, I won't change it just because I am a Pels fan. Though, I will be rooting really hard for the playoffs and I hope this team overcomes all odds.

We are in the race for the final spot and I like out chances. We are 19-14 against WC(6th best in the west) and 6-4 against Div(best amount SW). If we can put it together and we games we suppose to win we get the 8th.

Banned
    We have a better team without our starters healthy all things being equal if a 3-1 season series is to be believed. We seem to have a better team when all things are equal. I don't see how their schedule is easier than ours.

We have a better team without our starters healthy all things being equal if a 3-1 season series is to be believed. We seem to have a better team when all things are equal. I don't see how their schedule is easier than ours.
    1. So, whomever wins the season series is the better team? I know you don't believe that, and we can find hundreds of examples to the contrary. Is Denver a better team than us?

2. I explained to you why their schedule is easier. If you don't agree, give us specifics as to why.

Banned
    Playing against Denver is much different than OKC. Like every other team a game against OKC means much more. Especially, when the 8th spot is involved. Plus, OKC plays against every teams best on every night. I don't see that with us, yet. They also, play many more high profile games on TV with many more distractions.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    OKC will be full strength by the end of the week while we will still be w/o Ryno and Jrue ...
    You're also making a bit of an assumption here. They said they'd re-evaluate Durant in a week. No guarantee they find him ready to play. As for Westbrook, maybe he does play with a mask or whatever. But maybe he doesn't. Regardless, no way he's the same aggressive player he is when healthy. Human nature says he'll subconsciously protect himself from being hit in the face again, which probably means fewer drives to the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM320 View Post
    You're also making a bit of an assumption here. They said they'd re-evaluate Durant in a week. No guarantee they find him ready to play. As for Westbrook, maybe he does play with a mask or whatever. But maybe he doesn't. Regardless, no way he's the same aggressive player he is when healthy. Human nature says he'll subconsciously protect himself from being hit in the face again, which probably means fewer drives to the hoop.
    Yes, when dealing with the future, everything is an assumption. Example, your assumption is highlighted above.

All we can do is take our best guesses when dealing with the future. And I would face little to no resistance if I was on here saying it will be the Pels who surge. So, I am causing myself far more grief by saying the opposite. But all I can do is follow the evidence that I deem the most important, and it leads me to OKC being the overwhelming favorite to land the 8th spot, though I really hope I am wrong.

My only hope is that if we don't make it, that people don't see it as a "lost season" or lament all the losses that could have got us in if they had been wins. This was a season for growth and we have achieved that IMO. Everything else is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Maybe I have missed something, but I have not seen one person on this board ever say that they didn't want the Pels to make the playoffs.
    I wasn't directing at you MM. I was more so venting on this idea that as long as the team gets better that that's all that matters. I wholeheartedly disagree. I bet MJ was never in the Bulls locker room going "it's ok that we didn't make the playoffs. We got better". No champion thinks like that

Thread Information