Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Norris Cole w/ the Pels

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Because talent diminishes when injured. Want proof, see Ryno this season. Not quite the same guy he was prior to his injury correct? The talent might still be there, but it also might have disappeared. Injuries have a funny way of robbing one of once present talents.
    Derrick Rose (period)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    To me, you don't move Ryno if you think there is a 75% chance or more that he will return to old form. Trading him now would be selling low if you believe that.

Personally, I have seen a ton of guys who are far better two years removed from a major injury. Remember, Anderson barely did anything this summer. No conditioning, nothing. I expect this summer to be far different for him and for him to be the guy he was pre-injury starting next season. Since I believe that, I likely wouldn't trade Ryno because the offers will be far lower than my expectations of his play next year.

It depends on the offer. If we can get a legit starting SF take it. I never thought Ryan was anything special, he's a volume scorer that you dont really want starting.
    Last edited by speedyG; 02-26-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    It depends on the offer. If we can get a legit starting SF take it. I never thought Ryan was anything special, he's a volume scorer that you dont really want starting.
    If you can get a SF much better than what you can get with the MLE, then I agree.
    So, let's say we can get Jared Dudley with the MLE. How much better would the guy you trade Ryno for have to be to go that route?

For me, it would have to be fairly significant. So: Lebron, Kawhi, Hayward, Batum, Parsons, Antetokoumbo, Draymond Green, Wiggins, Parker, Carmelo, and maybe Rudy Gay. That's my list. Now comes the hard part - which of those teams would trade that guy for Ryno this summer?

Probably none. So, therefore, I don't move Ryno. I keep the core and have a very fine SF rotation with Dudley and Q-Pon.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Most of the moves that Dell has made has worked. The problem is the injuries, which Dell cannot control.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Why limit yourself to one player or one particular opinion? I'd personally move Ryno. If Toronto called and said we'll move Patrick Patterson and Terrence Ross for Ryan Anderson would you do it? I would.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Why limit yourself to one player or one particular opinion? I'd personally move Ryno. If Toronto called and said we'll move Patrick Patterson and Terrence Ross for Ryan Anderson would you do it? I would.
    they would never, PP by himself is having a better season than ryno alone, he is a stretch 4 himself but way more athletic, let alone adding Ross to the deal.

Norris Cole w/ the Pels

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Because talent diminishes when injured. Want proof, see Ryno this season. Not quite the same guy he was prior to his injury correct? The talent might still be there, but it also might have disappeared. Injuries have a funny way of robbing one of once present talents.
    There's a lot longer list of people who have come back from injuries just fine. I don't think you can sit there and say definitively one way or the other and I don't think you can even come close to trying to judge Dell's starting lineup. To make any statement regarding Dell failing to build a solid starting lineup is false and wrong. You might disagree with what he gave up to get players but just because of injuries doesn't mean he built a bad starting lineup.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 02-26-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    they would never, PP by himself is having a better season than ryno alone, he is a stretch 4 himself but way more athletic, let alone adding Ross to the deal.
    Agree. I would do it, but I don't think Toronto would.

But then, you have even more of a problem. It sounded to me that people would be willing to move Ryno to create room for Babbitt & DC at the 4. This totally eliminates them from the picture.

So, in essence, the trade becomes Ryno, Babbitt, and DC for Ross and Patterson. Not exactly a slam dunk.

To me, if you wanna move Ryno, you look to move him for a lesser player and a pick. Have Babbitt and DC take the backup 4 minutes and develop the young guy. Something like:

Ryno for Martell Webster and Washington's 1st rounder (18th, let's say)

Then you can give the backup minutes to Babbitt and DC and get a guy like Cliff Alexander to develop long term as a 3rd big.

That's how I would do it at least if I were to move Ryno and couldn't get a big time upgrade at SF for him

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Agree. I would do it, but I don't think Toronto would.

But then, you have even more of a problem. It sounded to me that people would be willing to move Ryno to create room for Babbitt & DC at the 4. This totally eliminates them from the picture.

So, in essence, the trade becomes Ryno, Babbitt, and DC for Ross and Patterson. Not exactly a slam dunk.

To me, if you wanna move Ryno, you look to move him for a lesser player and a pick. Have Babbitt and DC take the backup 4 minutes and develop the young guy. Something like:

Ryno for Martell Webster and Washington's 1st rounder (18th, let's say)

Then you can give the backup minutes to Babbitt and DC and get a guy like Cliff Alexander to develop long term as a 3rd big.

That's how I would do it at least if I were to move Ryno and couldn't get a big time upgrade at SF for him
    I don't think we trade him then because we could have done that exact thing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    There's a lot longer list of people who have come back from injuries just fine. I don't think you can sit there and say definitively one way or the other and I don't think you can even come close to trying to judge Dell's starting lineup. To make any statement regarding Dell failing to build a solid starting lineup is false and wrong. You might disagree with what he gave up to get players but just because of injuries doesn't mean he built a bad starting lineup.
    I guess time will tell as the simple size doesn't say anything other than we can't stay healthy, and when we are, we can win a few games, and lose a few more.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I wish Rivers had worked out better, but it is nice to have Cole here now. I don't think they can get better than Dell and Monty, who are doing well, so they will keep them.

Thread Information