Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why does Monty coaches well with bad teams and bad with good teams?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    People have said a lot of good things.

I do think that some of it has to do with the way Monty coaches the bench vs the starters.

Once he trusts you he basically is reluctant to ever change anything. Gives you mulligans over and over. It leads to this groundhog day effect where we keep repeating the same mistakes over and over.

How many times did Brian Roberts dribble out a play or chuck up a bad shot? Get asked to go in for defense and guard people he had no business guarding?

How many times has Evans gone into hero ball but we give him the ball back? NBA.com says he is 16 for 52 in the clutch but we have gone to him more then anyone else despite guys like Gordon being 55%FG and Davis 68.8% in the clutch.

How many times has Ryno pulled the trigger on a bad shot, played little defense or completely killed ball movement without ever being pulled? Still being put back in in the clutch moments even when he is ice cold and doing noting defensively? I mean the guy is 16.7%FG% in clutch situations this season and 7.1%3P in the clutch according to NBA.com. What possible reason do we have him out there in the closing moments? If it is for spacing reasons we are literally better off with Babbitt who despite low usage is 3-5 from 3 in clutch situations this year whereas Ryno is 1-14.

Whereas with the bench guys he tends to read and react based on how they are playing. Luke is hot he gets to stay in, Luke is cold we get him out. Ajinca is playing well, let him go. If he is playing bad put Asik back in. Q-pon is hitting shots lets role with him, he's playing a little of tonight sit him down.

Evans, Ryno, Jrue or Gordon are playing bad and hurting the team while two or more bench guys were hot? Doesnt matter little will change.

Yes there are some rare instances we have sat guys but overall it seems to hold true.
    To be fair though, you could also end up overcoaching and managing egos and roles is much harder when you're not an established winner like San Antonio who can afford to play whoever you want.

I think there's a counter argument to be made that building trust by keeping key guys in even while they struggle will allow players to play more freely and as a result, better. Example: Tyreke last year played much better once he was put in the starting lineup and had more free reign.

Of course you bring up solid points and that this can be detrimental to the current team success at times, but when you're building for the long term, I think it could easily be argued that trust building is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    To be fair though, you could also end up overcoaching and managing egos and roles is much harder when you're not an established winner like San Antonio who can afford to play whoever you want.

I think there's a counter argument to be made that building trust by keeping key guys in even while they struggle will allow players to play more freely and as a result, better. Example: Tyreke last year played much better once he was put in the starting lineup and had more free reign.

Of course you bring up solid points and that this can be detrimental to the current team success at times, but when you're building for the long term, I think it could easily be argued that trust building is more important.
    I'm not meaning to we say you have to automatically pull guys like Ryno, my overall point is about saying that I feel Monty seems to have a tendency to put blinders on to certain players or if he does see it does little or nothing tangible thats corrected it.

and it might not even be Ryno's fault. The reason for his struggles in every category in the clutch may in fact be because he is being used improperly down the stretch, but that would still go back at least in part to monty and failing to recognize a problem and trying to get the team to adjust.

If Ryno and Evans were just a one off thing with Monty I wouldn't even bring it up. I would probably blame it mostly on the injury and lack of cohesion(which are probably factors as well)but this seems to be a recurring problem with him year after year. There just seems to be one or more players every year that Monty places in a role and no amount of bad play or ineffectiveness in that player executing that strategy elicits a tangible change. Either through action we as viewers see on the court or behind the scenes that result in changes in on the court play or shifts in strategy and usage.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-26-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    I'm not meaning to we say you have to automatically pull guys like Ryno, my overall point is about saying that I feel Monty seems to have a tendency to put blinders on to certain players or if he does see it does little or nothing tangible thats corrected it.

and it might not even be Ryno's fault. The reason for his struggles in every category in the clutch may in fact be because he is being used improperly down the stretch, but that would still go back at least in part to monty and failing to recognize a problem and trying to get the team to adjust.

If Ryno and Evans were just a one off thing with Monty I wouldn't even bring it up. I would probably blame it mostly on the injury and lack of cohesion(which are probably factors as well)but this seems to be a recurring problem with him year after year. There just seems to be one or more players every year that Monty places in a role and no amount of bad play or ineffectiveness in that player executing that strategy elicits a tangible change. Either through action we as viewers see on the court or behind the scenes that result in changes in on the court play or shifts in strategy and usage.
    I believe I remember a clip of the after game interview with Monty where he said along the lines that he leaves them in to make the mistakes for the very reason that they make the mistake, and grow/learn from it while the team is young and growing. It could have even been after the game that Reke threw up that step back piece of rubbish that everyone killed him for. Which ties in with Bee's post on trust as well. Just as reference for the discussion, I agree there are definitely times it feels he needs to pull players in and doesn't seem to do anything. In saying that though, Monty not being the screamer and all, he probably does say something at the next timeout etc, but we as fans generally want a more instant response.

Quote Originally Posted by joetzeng View Post
    Says the same guy who told me AD was a good 3 point shooter in college dispite the numbers I provided.
    You might want to re-read what our conversation was about.

either way this would be the very definition of a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    I believe I remember a clip of the after game interview with Monty where he said along the lines that he leaves them in to make the mistakes for the very reason that they make the mistake, and grow/learn from it while the team is young and growing. It could have even been after the game that Reke threw up that step back piece of rubbish that everyone killed him for. Which ties in with Bee's post on trust as well. Just as reference for the discussion, I agree there are definitely times it feels he needs to pull players in and doesn't seem to do anything. In saying that though, Monty not being the screamer and all, he probably does say something at the next timeout etc, but we as fans generally want a more instant response.
    So why are the mistakes continuing? Why has the same issue seemingly continued for years?

That's all good and well but clearly either some people he coaches just don't get it and he doesn't care because it becomes a season long thing with little repercussion, he doesn't think they are doing anything wrong so its unawareness, or whatever he is doing is ineffective as a teaching method because little improves with those players and the strategy and approach used.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 02-26-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    So, are we blaming this on Monty?

Also, I always hear that the rotations are terrible, Monty doesn't call timeouts, and Monty doesn't yell at the refs. These are three 'go to' Monty critiques. Do these change when good players are hurt?
    Not blaming Monty at all. It's player mindset around the league not just the Pelicans. One of the most helpful tools I think Lebron added to his arsenal was to not always play hero ball or look for his shot. He passes the ball really well to setup his players and takes his shots when they are good ones. It's hard for good players to swallow their pride and pass, but it leads to winning to get the whole team involved not just hero ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information