Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: To: Michael McNamara > Why Go to Pels games, you say ?!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

To: Michael McNamara > Why Go to Pels games, you say ?!

You've tweeted several times that "The Pels are NOT going to the playoffs this year"
    You ask "Why go to the games"
    Playing organized athletics through college & then to a lesser extent afterwards . i.e. semi-pro baseball, organized parish leagues et al > I,as a fierce & sometimes overly aggressive competitor> if a self proclaimed expert approached me and said LOOK,Face it ,w/ 26 games left,& although you are only 2 games from playoff spot & 5 games from a better playoff spot, you suck too much to make the playoffs:might as well not play for a playoff spot.You cant make it,so just play for next season! I would think that this person was a DOLT.You must be kidding me,right?Play for next year? Although Durant may not be back,San Antonio is in a tailspin & Griffin is out for another 6-8 games!
    Well,I'm going on the court to play,to compete & to try and bludgeon my opponent.I'm going to GET INTO the playoffs because,me singularly thinks that I can compete against anyone I play against & My teammates feel the same way.Stay afloat w/two more winable games this week,lose no ground & possibly get AD back next week & YOU say Screw it,you cant do it.Just go out,have fun & play for a contract next year.Typically,this thought process comes from a non-athlete or a non-competitive athlete.
    Your analytics, your knowledge of the inner workings of salary,caps,bird rights et al is SUPER & your Inside Basketball type of knowledge is off the charts ! But,you certainly do not have the Inner Engine of a competitive athlete.Your heart & brain are full of stats,optic opinions & %'s ! Which is fine.BUT A competitive athletes heart & brain are full of adrenaline, guts & WIN WIN WIN !

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    espresso

Blog Entries
    I think the answers you're seeking are right here--

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...on-priorities/
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    You've tweeted several times that "The Pels are NOT going to the playoffs this year"
    You ask "Why go to the games"
    Playing organized athletics through college & then to a lesser extent afterwards . i.e. semi-pro baseball, organized parish leagues et al > I,as a fierce & sometimes overly aggressive competitor> if a self proclaimed expert approached me and said LOOK,Face it ,w/ 26 games left,& although you are only 2 games from playoff spot & 5 games from a better playoff spot, you suck too much to make the playoffs:might as well not play for a playoff spot.You cant make it,so just play for next season! I would think that this person was a DOLT.You must be kidding me,right?Play for next year? Although Durant may not be back,San Antonio is in a tailspin & Griffin is out for another 6-8 games!
    Well,I'm going on the court to play,to compete & to try and bludgeon my opponent.I'm going to GET INTO the playoffs because,me singularly thinks that I can compete against anyone I play against & My teammates feel the same way.Stay afloat w/two more winable games this week,lose no ground & possibly get AD back next week & YOU say Screw it,you cant do it.Just go out,have fun & play for a contract next year.Typically,this thought process comes from a non-athlete or a non-competitive athlete.
    Your analytics, your knowledge of the inner workings of salary,caps,bird rights et al is SUPER & your Inside Basketball type of knowledge is off the charts ! But,you certainly do not have the Inner Engine of a competitive athlete.Your heart & brain are full of stats,optic opinions & %'s ! Which is fine.BUT A competitive athletes heart & brain are full of adrenaline, guts & WIN WIN WIN !
    He's not the coach or team motivator; he's a writer. And he mostly addressing why fans should stay interested; not why players should want to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gerrity View Post
    I think the answers you're seeking are right here--

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/20...on-priorities/
    You are a metrics guy correct? Is that more finance related or sports? I ask because I was listening to Bill Simmons on the radio talking about coming away from the Sloan conference there will soon be new advances in analytics thanks to camera angles. How much are you buying into this mumbo jumbo?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put a single sentence of that post together in a way that made any sense to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I for one loved it SO MUCH EMOTION AND PASSION IN ONE POST. I wish I could take the OP, put it in a time capsule, open it in 15 years at the end of AD's 14-time champion career and his run at with the Pels, and be like "Man, I remember that time when I read this OP, and it changed my whole approach to basketball."

would read again/10

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    The difference between McNamara and a traditional sports writer is that the latter usually has credentials we can look up to add weight to what they're saying. Bill Simmons hit the big time with no credentials, and now every fan with a writing itch wants to be the Sports Guy.

You can go back and look at post where MM is critical of posters for being too definitive in their comments, and assured of heir own opinions. But then MM is guilty of the same thing when he writes as if he knows what Dell will/won't do and dismisses the possibility of playoffs.

I didn't say any of the above to be critical. I enjoy MM's commentary as much as I enjoy any other fan. But I'm more concerned by what official team reporters for the local press write and say about the team, and what national journalist and former players and coaches say about our team, than what other fans write on Twitter or blogs.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the insightful and researched stuff, but the opinion stuff is as valid as any member of Pelicans Report.

You can't seriously add more weight to local reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    You can't seriously add more weight to local reporters.
    I don't think we have good ones in our market. But generally, yes. They usually have access to teams and players, professional journalism training, and connections with peers in other markets that fans who blog don't have.

All I've ever heard MM say about the playoffs, was that fans should temper their expectations and enjoy improvement in other areas. I'm sure he would never suggest to the players not to try as hard as possible to make the playoffs. He's a fan of the team, just like the rest of us. I'm sure he would be thrilled if we made the playoffs, just like the rest of us would be. This thread needs to die.

He's definitively said, Pelicans are NOT making the playoffs, which is different from leaving it at "temper your expectations".

Side note... Why are people always trying to kill threads? Don't click on or contribute to the ones you don't want to read! Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't think we have good ones in our market. But generally, yes. They usually have access to teams and players, professional journalism training, and connections with peers in other markets that fans who blog don't have.
    You realize BBS is an ESPN affiliate and MM is credentialed right? They have almost all the same connections.

You realize BBS is an ESPN affiliate and MM is credentialed right? They have almost all the same connections.
    Right, but the other guys spend day out and day in with the team.

Personally, if you want inside info or quotes, go to Jim E. or John Reid, etc.

Want analysis - go to BSS or TBW

IMO, what our sites do and the other guys do are two different things and I am glad there is both. I don't think there is a need to call one better than the other. I think both are necessary and do their own thing.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    He's definitively said, Pelicans are NOT making the playoffs, which is different from leaving it at "temper your expectations".

Side note... Why are people always trying to kill threads? Don't click on or contribute to the ones you don't want to read! Problem solved!
    I know he's said he doesn't think we're making the playoffs. I've never seen him make a definitive statement about not making the playoffs, but I could be wrong.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever made a comment like "this thread needs to die". It's because this isn't relevant to the Pelicans or anything really. It's just a thread to let one person know he disagrees. Now people are questioning MM's credentials? Just seems ridiculous and pointless. Oh well, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Right, but the other guys spend day out and day in with the team.

Personally, if you want inside info or quotes, go to Jim E. or John Reid, etc.

Want analysis - go to BSS or TBW

IMO, what our sites do and the other guys do are two different things and I am glad there is both. I don't think there is a need to call one better than the other. I think both are necessary and do their own thing.
    I completely agree, and BSS does a great job with analysis. I just differentiate between what's opinion and what's analysis. Sometimes the line between the two is blurred in the writing of BSS and on Twitter.

The Pelicans are NOT making the playoffs. That's an opinion. Dell Demps is definitely going to resign Asik. Again, opinion. Those are just examples. No problem with either opinion or analysis, I just think one needs to be presented for what it is and given no more weight than any other opinion.

I don't mean "credentials" as in a badge you get that lets you sit on press row. I meant credentials as in qualifications and relevant background.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I know he's said he doesn't think we're making the playoffs. I've never seen him make a definitive statement about not making the playoffs, but I could be wrong.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever made a comment like "this thread needs to die". It's because this isn't relevant to the Pelicans or anything really. It's just a thread to let one person know he disagrees. Now people are questioning MM's credentials? Just seems ridiculous and pointless. Oh well, carry on.
    I think what's happening here, honestly, is hat BSS, TBW, and other posters do such a good job of analysis of on court and roster dynamics, that analyzing the analyst seems likes a refreshing and new topic! But I agree, it doesn't need 17 pages ;-)

The Pelicans are not going to make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    The Pelicans are not going to make the playoffs.
    That's the spirit

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    That's the spirit
    Well, they aren't.

The most ironic thing is that this thread starts on the exact day MM publishes an article about why you should continue to follow the team and go to games for the rest of the season.

What backwards world am I living in?

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    That's the spirit
    Spirit has nothing to do with it. Us "wanting" the Pelicans to make the playoffs will not make it so.

I don't get what logic is so looked down upon as a part of being a fan of a team. There are likely truths that exist in the world whether you want to believe them or not. Closing your eyes and blindly hoping doesn't help the thing you want to happen so.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Spirit has nothing to do with it. Us "wanting" the Pelicans to make the playoffs will not make it so.

I don't get what logic is so looked down upon as a part of being a fan of a team. There are likely truths that exist in the world whether you want to believe them or not. Closing your eyes and blindly hoping doesn't help the thing you want to happen so.
    Why **** on fans that don't share your opinion that the Pelicans, only 2 games out with a lot more to play, are already eliminated from the playoffs? I just don't get why you characterize fans that can do simple math and read the standings as illogical or blind?!

It's only your opinion, based off guesses about the next 20+ games, that the Pelicans won't make playoffs.

Thread Information