Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 24.72%
  • No

67 75.28%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    FA Centers, just so people know:

Marc Gasol (good luck getting him)
    DeAndre Jordon (Maybe, if you give him the max, which is 70% more than Asik will likely cost)
    Tyson Chandler (will be 33 and in 13th season)
    Robin Lopez (Portland will want to keep and will likely cost more than Asik)
    Enes Kanter (We've been through this)
    Al Jefferson (if he opts out. Too old? Defense? Cost?)
    Greg Monroe (cost? Can he play Center?)
    Kosta Koufos (maybe we can get him for 70% of Asik cost)
    Roy Hibbert (if he opts out. Cost?)
    Brook Lopez (if he opts out? Cost?)

Of all these guys, I think only Koufos costs less. Only Monroe is more likely to choose NOLA over all other options if money is equal or close.

So, who would you choose?
    My train of thought tends to lean toward this.

If he continues his consistency in rebounding and defense, other teams will throw more money at him and we will likely be forced to overpay to retain him.

This has me worried. If push comes to shove, do we overpay? What are the consequences of doing so?

Say we don't get/keep any of those guys?

What then?

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post

If he continues his consistency in rebounding and defense, other teams will throw more money at him and we will likely be forced to overpay to retain him.

This has me worried. If push comes to shove, do we overpay? What are the consequences of doing so?
    So, let's flip it. Who might go after Asik? You would have to find a good enough team to see him as a missing piece, who also has a need at center, who also has the cap room.

I think that as you go down the list, you will have a very hard time finding teams matching that criteria. I have found one or two, but I won't name them now. I want to see what you guys come up with. But I don't think we will have very much competition for Asik. If we want him back, we can have him.
    @mcnamara247

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar

Asik, 9.5 mill, 4yrs. Sign the contract!

So, let's flip it. Who might go after Asik? You would have to find a good enough team to see him as a missing piece, who also has a need at center, who also has the cap room.

I think that as you go down the list, you will have a very hard time finding teams matching that criteria. I have found one or two, but I won't name them now. I want to see what you guys come up with. But I don't think we will have very much competition for Asik. If we want him back, we can have him.
    Charlotte, Milwaukee & ATLANTA ! Question> Is this under the assumption that OA wants to start, only !?

The narrative that comes to mind is

someone throws a max offer to Gasol, Jordan, Lopez, Chandler or Hibbert.
    Then Memphis, LAC, Portland, Dallas or Indy panics and looks down the list at Asik.

The narrative that comes to mind is

someone throws a max offer to Gasol, Jordan, Lopez, Chandler or Hibbert.
    Then Memphis, LAC, Portland, Dallas or Indy panics and looks down the list at Asik.
    Jordan & Gasol are staying put! Chandler & Hibbert wont get max deal offers. Brook Lopez would be most intriguing to me. I would have to consider paying a tad more to Lopez over a cheaper Asik.

Why couldn't monroe play center? He played it most of his time in Detroit and his numbers look fine there.

Would he be the ideal Monty style center? No because he isn't a great defender. But I think our guards production would go up with a guy that could actually catch passes and finish.

Who are the teams that would throw big money at Monroe though?

Age Locator w/ this vid

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    Charlotte, Milwaukee & ATLANTA ! Question> Is this under the assumption that OA wants to start, only !?
    On that list, I agree with Charlotte if Jefferson walks. But now, they are a really limited team offensively.

I don't see how Asik fits in Atlanta and think Pachulia & Henson do a lot of the same things in Milwaukee.

I don't think Asik requires a starting position, though it is preferred, but yeah we basically gotta look for teams who will give him a starting job because nobody is gonna outbid us if they are paying for a backup in their minds.

Let's say we put 4/40 on the table and won't budge. What teams will offer more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Why couldn't monroe play center? He played it most of his time in Detroit and his numbers look fine there.

Would he be the ideal Monty style center? No because he isn't a great defender. But I think our guards production would go up with a guy that could actually catch passes and finish.

Who are the teams that would throw big money at Monroe though?
    This depends on Monroe. I am too lazy to look up quotes, but how does he feel about defending centers? I know AD hates it. Monroe might too.

Banned

Are you really feeling good about having Asik on a 4 year guaranteed contract as our center? I guess he can just be the kendrick perkins of our championship team :/

On that list, I agree with Charlotte if Jefferson walks. But now, they are a really limited team offensively.

I don't see how Asik fits in Atlanta and think Pachulia & Henson do a lot of the same things in Milwaukee.

I don't think Asik requires a starting position, though it is preferred, but yeah we basically gotta look for teams who will give him a starting job because nobody is gonna outbid us if they are paying for a backup in their minds.

Let's say we put 4/40 on the table and won't budge. What teams will offer more than that?
    Asik is a much better Defensive center than Pachulia . 6 rebounds per game. That stinks for 7'1" ! 7 pts per game > Thats OA !
    Henson is 125 lbs soaking wet. But, anyway, I do agree> I think we cant re-sign OA for less than 10 !

FA Centers, just so people know:

Marc Gasol (good luck getting him)
    DeAndre Jordon (Maybe, if you give him the max, which is 70% more than Asik will likely cost)
    Tyson Chandler (will be 33 and in 13th season)
    Robin Lopez (Portland will want to keep and will likely cost more than Asik)
    Enes Kanter (We've been through this)
    Al Jefferson (if he opts out. Too old? Defense? Cost?)
    Greg Monroe (cost? Can he play Center?)
    Kosta Koufos (maybe we can get him for 70% of Asik cost)
    Roy Hibbert (if he opts out. Cost?)
    Brook Lopez (if he opts out? Cost?)

Of all these guys, I think only Koufos costs less. Only Monroe is more likely to choose NOLA over all other options if money is equal or close.

So, who would you choose?
    You are exactly right, but I do think center is far more important for this team than a good SF. If we are going with Tyreke and Jrue moving forward, we need a center offensively that isn't the equivalent of an al farrow aminu, I think spending the extra money, to get a little less defensively and A LOT more offensively is well worth it. I like Asik, but I don't think this could be a western conference finals team or a championship team with him starting. He is a decent to good defender, but god awful offensively.

Asik Defense = B+
    Asik Offense = C-

Player X Defense = B
    Player X Offense = B

I would be willing to pay 4 million more to player X over Asik because I personally, believe for this team, having viable center is of extreme importance for the way this team is built.

if you don't think center is that important, which i can see the merits of this argument, than I can understand wanting to keep Asik at his current cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    Are you really feeling good about having Asik on a 4 year guaranteed contract as our center? I guess he can just be the kendrick perkins of our championship team :/
    Perkins is 6'10" and is really not a good defensive player . He's just a BIFF that beats people up. He averages 0 pts per game . No comparison, length, rebounding anything . Asik much better than Perkins
    Last edited by Tinman; 02-24-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    You are exactly right, but I do think center is far more important for this team than a good SF. If we are going with Tyreke and Jrue moving forward, we need a center offensively that isn't the equivalent of an al farrow aminu, I think spending the extra money, to get a little less defensively and A LOT more offensively is well worth it. I like Asik, but I don't think this could be a western conference finals team or a championship team with him starting. He is a decent to good defender, but god awful offensively.

Asik Defense = B+
    Asik Offense = C-

Player X Defense = B
    Player X Offense = B

I would be willing to pay 4 million more to player X over Asik because I personally, believe for this team, having viable center is of extreme importance for the way this team is built.

if you don't think center is that important, which i can see the merits of this argument, than I can understand wanting to keep Asik at his current cost.
    OK, find me Player X ! Ready, go ! Then find me the Bank that holds the money to pay him, once AD MAXES & if the re-sign Ryno. EG has a Spanish fortune on the books for next year also. Although AD & EG's contracts wont overlap, it still leaves next year in limbo if you dont re-sign OA .

Age Locator w/ this vid
    I was a child when hair metal hit.
    Just love singing it in karaoke to keep my voice in shape.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If we can get him for $10m, great. But, that's my limit. Not $10.5, not $11...$10m.

$10m is like $7m in current cap dollars and his agent should be asking for $13m, which will be the equivalent of $10m in current cap dollars.

It's only $3m, but it's significant. It's $3m extra dollars we can spend on our bench or on a real small forward.

I'm ok with Asik at $10m. I'm frustrated with him at $13m.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If we can get him for $10m, great. But, that's my limit. Not $10.5, not $11...$10m.

$10m is like $7m in current cap dollars and his agent should be asking for $13m, which will be the equivalent of $10m in current cap dollars.

It's only $3m, but it's significant. It's $3m extra dollars we can spend on our bench or on a real small forward.

I'm ok with Asik at $10m. I'm frustrated with him at $13m.
    I'll go with that, but I would lowball OA . I think 9-9.5 is gettable.

He probably stays if the Pelicans promise him the starting Spot for the next couple of years And 10mil is Fine,And I don't See another Team throwing Big Money for him

OK, find me Player X ! Ready, go ! Then find me the Bank that holds the money to pay him, once AD MAXES & if the re-sign Ryno. EG has a Spanish fortune on the books for next year also. Although AD & EG's contracts wont overlap, it still leaves next year in limbo if you dont re-sign OA .
    I don't see us resigning Ryno, and I see us either getting rid of Tyreke and keeping gordon, or getting rid of Gordon and Keeping tyreke. There is your money. I think greg monroe would be a great fit, or Deandre Jordan. If no centers are available this year, I sign asik to a one year deal, and make the move the following year.

Quote Originally Posted by heybigmatt View Post
    I don't see us resigning Ryno, and I see us either getting rid of Tyreke and keeping gordon, or getting rid of Gordon and Keeping tyreke. There is your money. I think greg monroe would be a great fit, or Deandre Jordan. If no centers are available this year, I sign asik to a one year deal, and make the move the following year.
    Asik wont sign a 1 yr deal, nobody will ! Reke still has 2 yrs, so you just cant get rid of him. & believe it or not> I think Gordon may stay for a pay cut. I mean, c'mon>> Hey Omer, we'll sign you for 1 yr. but then your gone. Is that OK w/ you Omer? Omer: SURE, no problem ! NOT A CHANCE

The Franchise    Contributor   

I've got a mental block at paying him 8 figures, and I'm bad enough at math that new/old cap comparisons are hard to wrap my head around. I know I shouldn't be so arbitrary with that number, but if I'm spending 10 million, I'd like the guy to have at least 3 fingers and an opposable thumb on each hand. Less than 10 mil, and minus a better option, and I'd stop complaining.
    I don't recall Monroe saying anything about not wanting to be a center, but I could well have missed it. As folks have posted above, I'd rather an offensive guy than Asik (since a younger Tyson is not available, a defensive guy who could catch the ball) - and I'd like it even more if Ryno went out for MKG. From what I've read, MKG's constant movement covers up his poor shooting when it comes to spacing. If that is accurate, and with the better passing and shooting from Monroe, that seems like a great line-up to me on both ends. Especially if EG keeps shooting well, or is replaced with an equal or better shooter (with comparable or better defense) this summer/next season.

Then I'd move on to being grumpy about Evans decision making.

Wanting a better offensive guy than Asik who is a little worse on defense (but not much) is so great in theory. But again, where is that guy, what does he cost, and how sure are you that we can get him?

This is what Dell has to deal with in the real world, outside of the fantasies of the message board

Thread Information