Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 24.72%
  • No

67 75.28%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Has the Asik experiment failed?

Simple question, yes or no and support your answer.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I didn't want it to fail... I just think he is so pathetic catching the ball.. I don't see how we can keep him for over 10m. He's a good player imo when we have all of our guns, but over the past few seasons thats rare to never which is why i think we need a guy at the 5 with a tad more versatility. Just my opinion.

The Monty experiment failed.

Asik doesn't ever look like he wants to be here.

No it hasn't failed. We wanted defense, and a body to take the big hits away from AD. He has done both well. Everyone told us he has cement gloves for hands.

If I have to choose one right now I think you have to say yes it's failed. Our defense is poor and his greatest(if not only) value is that of a defensive anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    No it hasn't failed. We wanted defense, and a body to take the big hits away from AD. He has done both well. Everyone told us he has cement gloves for hands.
    Has he really brought much defense?
    Defensive Efficiency:
    14-15 105.6 Rank 25
    13-14 107.3 Rank 25
    12-13 107.6 Rank 28

If he has, it certainly hasn't made a large impact.

No CC: This game lol

The Franchise    Contributor   

I know he had cement hands, I didn't realize he can only play 26 minutes a game - even on a team riddled with injuries he can't stay on the court. He brings what he brings, but no way I pay him like a core piece when he's that limited

it not only not working here
    it didn't work for him with the rockets there a head coach that know how to play def.
    oh yes it didn't work for at the bulls and there another def. minded coach
    so let make it 3 for 3 with our so call def coach
    i.m sure they can spend the money we save on another pg if we keep this coaching staff
    and play without a center
    Last edited by pelicanblaze; 02-23-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Holds Nothing Back Contributor shanetrain93's Avatar
    It seems the way our offense plays we need a more scoring oriented 5. Or at least someone without block hands and the ability to score 1 inch in front of the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Has he really brought much defense?
    Defensive Efficiency:
    14-15 105.6 Rank 25
    13-14 107.3 Rank 25
    12-13 107.6 Rank 28

If he has, it certainly hasn't made a large impact.
    You answered your own question with your numbers. We've seen multiple points back up that when AD and Asik are together, it is a top defense. Why are we blaming Asik for our poor defense, when AD Jrue and Ryno are all out injured, and for half this season we had the ****test bench around? We have only just got ourselves a good defensive backup guard, 52 games into the season. Asik has played 51 games this season. Is averaging 7.1 / 9.6 on 13% usage. His usage rate is sitting around the same level as qpon. OPP FPG at Rim is 49%. He does have a high turnover rate. Has struggled himself with back injuries this season but at least has played 51 games.

You answered your own question with your numbers. We've seen multiple points back up that when AD and Asik are together, it is a top defense. Why are we blaming Asik for our poor defense, when AD Jrue and Ryno are all out injured, and for half this season we had the ****test bench around? We have only just got ourselves a good defensive backup guard, 52 games into the season. Asik has played 51 games this season. Is averaging 7.1 / 9.6 on 13% usage. His usage rate is sitting around the same level as qpon. OPP FPG at Rim is 49%. He does have a high turnover rate. Has struggled himself with back injuries this season but at least has played 51 games.
    That's really not true. We still are in the bottom 20% of the league. Sure he has has 'some' impact and D eff can't be measured by 1 guy, but in the same vein you can't give him credit for him solely either. I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said, but does that mean it was a good experiment? To me, not really... but i can see your point as well.

That's really not true. We still are in the bottom 20% of the league. Sure he has has 'some' impact and D eff can't be measured by 1 guy, but in the same vein you can't give him credit for him solely either. I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said, but does that mean it was a good experiment? To me, not really... but i can see your point as well.
    well define what Asik was brought here for, and how he as done. You can't change the goal posts half way through a season on what his expectations are. People are complaining about his offense! We didn't bring him here for offense.

I know he had cement hands, I didn't realize he can only play 26 minutes a game - even on a team riddled with injuries he can't stay on the court. He brings what he brings, but no way I pay him like a core piece when he's that limited
    we all knew fair well he wouldn't play more than 30 minutes a game. he has never averaged more than 30mpg in a season.

well define what Asik was brought here for, and how he as done. You can't change the goal posts half way through a season on what his expectations are. People are complaining about his offense! We didn't bring him here for offense.

we all knew fair well he wouldn't play more than 30 minutes a game. he has never averaged more than 30mpg in a season.
    It's not moving the goal post. Ultimately we brought him in to be a better defensive squad. We're marginally better at best.

It's not moving the goal post. Ultimately we brought him in to be a better defensive squad. We're marginally better at best.
    so are we better or worse because of Asik? or are we marginally better because defense is a team based number, and our bench was rubbish for the first half of the season, our wing defense is pretty average, and we've had major injuries to major players in this team?

so are we better or worse because of Asik? or are we marginally better because defense is a team based number, and our bench was rubbish for the first half of the season, our wing defense is pretty average, and we've had major injuries to major players in this team?
    did we not have the same issues last year? We're marginally better as the team last year without Asik with the same exact issues.

did we not have the same issues last year? We're marginally better as the team last year without Asik with the same exact issues.
    so last year we had AD at the 5 shared with Stiemsma and Smith. This year AD doesn't have to play the 5, and Stiemsma/Smith is now Asik. But you don't think that is a good thing?

The Franchise    Contributor   

He was sharing time in Houston, and just starting out in Chicago - so I had no idea that he was so physically inept that he can't drag himself up and down the court for more than 25 minutes. Must be the cement hands weighing him down. If we wanted a big load that did nothing but set screens and eat space why didn't we see what Stanley Roberts was up to? He might be 400 lbs at this point, that'd be a great screen

so last year we had AD at the 5 shared with Stiemsma and Smith. This year AD doesn't have to play the 5, and Stiemsma/Smith is now Asik. But you don't think that is a good thing?
    I'm not saying it's not better than last year, and maybe that's the disconnect. I'm saying it's marginally better at best. I agree (and have always) agree'd that Davis is a 4 and should always be one; but with UFA coming up we have to make a decision on Asik. I look at this year and see we're only marginally better in defensive eff with him here which to be frank, did not meet my expectations. So to me, it's a failed experiment.

Do I think it's good that we have a big body to absorb hits for AD? Absolutely
    Do I think Asik is an improvement on defense from last year? Yep.
    Do I think Asik had the impact we all expected on our defense ? No not really. I expected us to be better.
    Does this now mean that we should pay 10-12m for Asik in the offseason? I don't think so. In fact after watching i depth i think 8m would be my hardline even w the new TV deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    He was sharing time in Houston, and just starting out in Chicago - so I had no idea that he was so physically inept that he can't drag himself up and down the court for more than 25 minutes. Must be the cement hands weighing him down. If we wanted a big load that did nothing but set screens and eat space why didn't we see what Stanley Roberts was up to? He might be 400 lbs at this point, that'd be a great screen
    it was pretty well discussed here on this board when we signed him.

I'm not saying it's not better than last year, and maybe that's the disconnect. I'm saying it's marginally better at best. I agree (and have always) agree'd that Davis is a 4 and should always be one; but with UFA coming up we have to make a decision on Asik. I look at this year and see we're only marginally better in defensive eff with him here which to be frank, did not meet my expectations. So to me, it's a failed experiment.

Do I think it's good that we have a big body to absorb hits for AD? Absolutely
    Do I think Asik is an improvement on defense from last year? Yep.
    Do I think Asik had the impact we all expected on our defense ? No not really. I expected us to be better.
    Does this now mean that we should pay 10-12m for Asik in the offseason? I don't think so. In fact after watching i depth i think 8m would be my hardline even w the new TV deal.
    so you're asking the wrong question. If our defense has improved, and AD doesn't have to bash with bigs, then the experiment worked (and considering the numbers AD has put up this season, I think it has worked very well - until freak injuries urrghh). If you want to know whether we should re-sign him, and how much we should pay, that's a completely different discussion. Most people have already stated they would only bring him back if we could get him for around 8-10 If i remember correctly. The thing the Asik move has unearthed though, is that fans want a more offensive minded big.

so you're asking the wrong question. If our defense has improved, and AD doesn't have to bash with bigs, then the experiment worked (and considering the numbers AD has put up this season, I think it has worked very well - until freak injuries urrghh). If you want to know whether we should re-sign him, and how much we should pay, that's a completely different discussion. Most people have already stated they would only bring him back if we could get him for around 8-10 If i remember correctly. The thing the Asik move has unearthed though, is that fans want a more offensive minded big.
    I'm asking the wrong question? It's my question
    My question is, did the experiment pass or fail. To me failing would be giving up an asset and not resigning him which is why i'm saying the above arguments.

I'm asking the wrong question? It's my question
    My question is, did the experiment pass or fail. To me failing would be giving up an asset and not resigning him which is why i'm saying the above arguments.
    So how can it be deemed a failure at all? We aren't even at the end of the season yet and we still have Asik.

So how can it be deemed a failure at all? We aren't even at the end of the season yet and we still have Asik.
    I feel like i've conveyed this point more than enough at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post

Thread Information