Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Has the Asik experiment failed?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 24.72%
  • No

67 75.28%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Has the Asik experiment failed?

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think this is a great question. Some things just won't be improved much, in any player, no matter the amount of work. Do people think DeAndre Jordan just doesn't work on free throws?

As for Asik, I think he can improve on his communication and his anticipation. Right now, he is playing with a bunch of new guys. But year 3 with Jrue or Tyreke, he will anticipate the passes and know their speed, where they are likely to be, etc. That will help. It will appear that his hands for better, but in reality it will be a result of familiarity more than anything
    This.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Just do this.

Every time he gets the ball at the rim.......

But try not to look so high.

Look at reality here. I've made this point before in other threads, so I'll make it here. If Asik improves his offensive game (literally and figuratively, lol) he is going to get more touches. When this happens, who do you take the touches away from? If he becomes a solid PnR option that can catch the ball, Davis loses touches because he's the man on PnR's now. Asik doesn't really want to get involved in the offense other than what he already does. Yes, we would like to see him not get blocked at the rim or stripped as soon as he puts the ball on the floor, however, for what we brought him in here to do he is actually playing great. He's learning to play defense within the system and with the ever changing flow of teammates, he rebounds consistently and he's getting good looks at the rim and (while not a lot) a good amount of FT's. This is what we brought him in to do. Yes. Every player should spend time in the off season getting better. And possibly he has. He wouldn't be a professional if he didn't. He wouldn't have lasted this long in the league if he didn't. But to answer the question posed : He does what we need/ask him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I agree with da Throne. This is a two way street. Some team is going to go all Knicks on Jermaine Jones on some player this year, could it be Asik?

All things being said, I don't think the Asik move is a bust, I have liked it, and want it to continue. I would also like to see him get back into a gym with a trainer, or go hang out with Hakeem or Ewing. Go work with an old superstar and develop his game more. It's not asking a whole lot, it's just asking him to do what every superstar does. Go grow your game Asik. You can be a top 10 center.
    He actually worked with Hakeem lol(Looks pretty Fluid also)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8cYxCu9QxE

But I agree with you guys Asik ain't developing his O,he is what he is if he Just Keeps playing like he does After the Break than the Pels should be fine
    But you know it is funny Omer was a Great finisher when he was playing in Europe(also Could catch) he probably Sucks at it now because he bulked up a lot (was skinny as hell before) And the bulls never used him in offense when he was playing there

Success! Rebounding way up. Davis' production way up. More wins. No Stiemsma. Asik's individual defense is much better than any big we have had in years. We need a modestly priced big man to do all those things, and I'd rather stick with a known quantity in Asik that an unknown. Why it is classified as an experiment by the thread originator is a better question. There is nothing experimental about improved rebounding or defense.....

Asik is performing at 100% of expectations this year. Davis is performing at 120% which would be higher if he wasn't injured so much. Gordon is at 80% of expectations, but 50% of his pay. Evans is not doing what we thought, but is contributing in other ways that probably equal 100%. Holiday, Anderson, and Fredette have been the ones who have performed far below expectations, though not for lack or effort IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Just do this.

Every time he gets the ball at the rim.......

But try not to look so high.

This is pretty much all I am saying. Throw it down! You are 7ft, don't just lay it up there, throw it down.

Just keep working at that craft and you can be a better big man.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I am sure that literally nobody has ever given him that advice before.

It's not like he doesn't know, but its not that easy for him. He lacks athleticism. You ever see him actually jump for a defensive rebound? I barely do.

For him to "go up strong", he needs to collect himself, be on perfect balance, and not have anybody attached to him. This is rare. It's not a mental thing. He physically can not "go up strong" as often as you guys would like for him to.
    Last edited by MichaelMcNamara; 02-26-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    @mcnamara247

Asik's problem that i see is when he does catch it, is he doesn't keep the ball hot. He wants to pound it and loses the ball or gets stripped. That's one thing Pau Gasol was fantastic at. Catch high finish high/

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

It's not like he doesn't know, but its not that easy for him. He lacks athleticism. You ever see him actually jump for a defensive rebound? I barely do.

For him to "go up strong", he needs to collect himself, be on perfect balance, and not have anybody attached to him. This is rare. It's not a mental thing. He physically can not "go up strong" as often as you guys would like for him to.
    I doubt he keeps up his post AS production, but if he can, this is the Asik we need.

Rudy Gobert or Derrick Favors?

Quote Originally Posted by NOSportsFan View Post
    I wouldn't sign and trade Asik. That lets him into the conversation of where he's going. I would be hard pressed to let him into that conversation.
    I wouldn't sign Monroe. He has stated , plainly iirc, that he is a 4 not a 5 and would go somewhere where he can play 4. We have a 4. We need a 5. Why bring in someone who will be unhappy from the jump off?
    Before this discussion gets too far off base, let us let the season finish out and see who actually enters free agency. Teams will negotiate buy outs, rosters will be cut, amnesties will be handed out. For the next few months let us enjoy what we have and hope that we get healthy in time for a strong playoff push.

To the OP: I restate. The experiment has not been a failure. Asik has been what the team expected him to be. Maybe not what we, as fans, expected him to be. There is another side of this I could delve into, but I will refrain for now. The experiment, while not resounding, has been a moderate success.
    S&T allows you to get value in return as opposed to nothing. S&T can be an avenue that attains us a legitimate olayer at another position of need or to rebuild our pool of drained assets.

As for Monroe, Google showed me no results of him saying that. If that is the case then so be it but can you provide verification to your assertion about Monroes preference?

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    S&T allows you to get value in return as opposed to nothing. S&T can be an avenue that attains us a legitimate olayer at another position of need or to rebuild our pool of drained assets.

As for Monroe, Google showed me no results of him saying that. If that is the case then so be it but can you provide verification to your assertion about Monroes preference?
    S&T also allows players to keep their Birds Rights and get higher per year raises than if they didn't have Birds Rights. There is incentive for both parties if it came to that.

I don't think it will however. I don't see Asik complaining about wanting to be traded and I don't think another team is going to offer more than we are willing to to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by big_peli View Post
    THat's fascinating. is there an article or source? I'd love to try and understand the purpose of those totals.

I still am beating the drum that he shored up a nagging back injury over the all star break.

I feel also that a lot of this is timing with the guards. Asik is, contrary to opinion, a pretty smart player (at least in terms of where to be on the court and when things are coming). I feel like the majority of his screw-ups come when a guy threw the pass a few beats too late. I play center with our team, and this is extremely frustrating to me. Like, he was ready to catch the ball, gather, and finish....but the pass came 2 seconds later, and that changed the whole timing and spacing. COuld just be me, I'm not sure, but those weird wraparounds that Tyreke and EG do are part of the problem.

Has the Asik experiment failed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    THat's fascinating. is there an article or source? I'd love to try and understand the purpose of those totals.
    What exactly are you confused about with the chart? Not trying to be a jerk just seeing if I can answer something to help you out.

Basically the number on the far right is the composite number when everything was averaged out. AD+Asik is the top ranked front court combo when you combine everything. I'm not sure how up to date the numbers are but it's pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    What exactly are you confused about with the chart? Not trying to be a jerk just seeing if I can answer something to help you out.

Basically the number on the far right is the composite number when everything was averaged out. AD+Asik is the top ranked front court combo when you combine everything. I'm not sure how up to date the numbers are but it's pretty straight forward.
    I thought it was regarding the Utah duo as they are the bold names. Maybe it's the illuminates pass at the white dress black dress thing, and I haven't figured it out yet.

I thought it was regarding the Utah duo as they are the bold names. Maybe it's the illuminates pass at the white dress black dress thing, and I haven't figured it out yet.
    Not sure why they bolded the Utah guys, unless someone originally a Jazz fan made the charts. But the column all the way to the right is the total column. The lower the number the better the ranking. That's the one that shows the Pels are No 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Not sure why they bolded the Utah guys, unless someone originally a Jazz fan made the charts. But the column all the way to the right is the total column. The lower the number the better the ranking. That's the one that shows the Pels are No 1.
    Now I see why they are bolded, it's because this was made by a Jazz fan (see website).

Yep, it is taken from a Utah Jazz fan website. Sorry for not including the source.

btw, this is how you are going to read the chart: each column represents an area like opp FG% at the rim or defensive rebound per 100 possessions. For example, Davis and Asik are 15th at opp FG% at the rim and they are 3rd at DRB p100. There are different categories. Sum of them are written in very right side of the chart. Lower is better. We have 71, lowest of all.
    Last edited by big_peli; 02-28-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Asik is fine, good D and Rebounds... Would rather sign RoLo or Koufos though

Banned
    Seems like a guy you want to get rid of until he is gone. Stick with him.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

All I could find around Monroes preference position wise, was comments that he went to dumars and told him to draft drummond so he could play pf. I couldn't find any actual quotes though, so who knows.

Idk if I'd want Monroe. Teams with skilled C's who are bad at D tend not to do much. (Pekovic, Al jeff, Monroe, Kanter, Jonas, Brook..)

I'm fine with getting the scoring from elsewhere, but it would be nice if Asik didnt fumble the ball so much and miss layups. It's important to have a good rim protector/inside presence though
    Last edited by speedyG; 03-01-2015 at 06:53 PM.

he's had multiple games this season where hes gone up against some of the best rebounders and absolutely dominated them on the defensive glass. Ajinca was getting destroyed on the boards, Asik is catching a nice stride lately on the boards and protecting the paint

Thread Information