Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Good article from Jimmy Smith on trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    People are upset that we didn't trade our way into the playoffs yesterday. Being Utah would put us further away from the playoffs.

I'm not saying Utah is a failed team, they just are much further away from the playoffs than the Pelicans, and the reason most people are mad about yesterday is because they feel the 2 teams we were fighting with for the 8 seed were able to push away from us.

There's nothing inherently wrong with slow build, there's nothing inherently wrong with the young vet strategy. But if you wanted the team to build slowly, you can't point to every misstep in the young vet build as justification of going the other direction. There surely would have been missteps in the slow build, exhibit A, Austin Rivers. And there was no misstep yesterday, we turned useless assets into potentially useful assets.
    The probelm with the young vet method is you aren't given the same amount of time to be patient. Rookie deals gives the team the option to match whatever deal is thrown there way. Bird rights aren't nearly as team friendly as RFreeAgency, and Bird rights ultimately cost more.

Utah has the ability to stay on a slow and steady path knowing that they'll have the right to match any deal if they can't come to a contract before then. As far as the execution in Utah I'm not thrilled with. Much like I feel we have a lot of redundacy I feel the Jazz have gone out and done very similiar. However it's easy to move a rookie contract than it is to move a 8 figure young vet contract.

It's hard to be patient when you're so old your wife lets you eat ice cream and candy every meal.
    Last edited by BP225; 02-20-2015 at 06:20 PM.

What makes Jimmy's article STUPID is timing. On a day we we did the impossible and actually improved despite limited resources.

This bozo is going to complain about the limited resources?

Look, I randomly ***** about our decisions in past years on this board. But I don't try to ruin decent news when it comes.

Jimmy, if we had drafted John Henson (which is undoubtedly who I would have drafted) we wouldn't be in the mess either

Henson
    Davis
    Thaddeus
    Giannas
    Elfird

littered with as many shooters I could find

Thread Information