Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: George Karl hired by Sacramento

George Karl hired by Sacramento

He will be coach of the kings moving forward. We shall see the difference in a below average coach and an above average coach. Im sure once he gets the kings to be a winning team there will be excuses why it wouldn't of worked here tho. i was always a big karl fan and lobbied for his hire. Lets say we miss the playoffs by 5-7 games. Karl makes that much and more of a difference on this team imo. I'll be interested in seeing his results with that team. May be 1 of his better accomplishments to date if he can take them to the playoffs next year.

You already know it bro
    I'm a grinder

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I'm sure once Sacramento fires him for not playing "4 on 5" or playing a half-court offense since that's what suits their All-Star center
    we'll have a chance to nab him. Lol!

I honestly think Karl is an odd fit with the Kings but he has shown adaptability in the past.

I really thought he would hold out for a better place to try his last run at getting that chip that eluded him his career because he just couldn't beat some of his contemporaries - I would argue due to having too wide of a talent gap between them.

I really thought he would be a perfect fit in Cleveland or here. But we shall see. Cousins is finally getting his head on straight and Is arguably the best center in the league so it isn't like karl won't have talent.

Banned
    I worry about his health, but I'm guessing they checked that out as much as they could.

So they went against "God's Plan" (or whatever Boogie Cousin calls himself these days).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    He will be coach of the kings moving forward. We shall see the difference in a below average coach and an above average coach. Im sure once he gets the kings to be a winning team there will be excuses why it wouldn't of worked here tho. i was always a big karl fan and lobbied for his hire. Lets say we miss the playoffs by 5-7 games. Karl makes that much and more of a difference on this team imo. I'll be interested in seeing his results with that team. May be 1 of his better accomplishments to date if he can take them to the playoffs next year.
    Look how pissed off DeMarcus Cousins is about their coaching fiasco. Do you want that to be AD? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Look how pissed off DeMarcus Cousins is about their coaching fiasco. Do you want that to be AD? I don't.
    Well I would hope that the Pelicans wouldn't Fire Monty in the beginning of the season while he is overachieving with the team.

winning cures a lot. Remember most of the Warriors were also baffled and upset about Mark Jackson being fired.

There is a huge risk firing a popular coach( and just to be frank, Malone should not have been fired) but the outcome of that doesn't always have to result in ruin.

I wish he had been our coach

I don't think AD would go ape shizz like Cousins though. One guy has the maturity of a vet, the other has the maturity of my 5 year old son.

A lot of players don't know what's good for them. They think they can pick the best coach for them, but they can't. They are in the trees, so they don't have the perspective of those outside the forest. Like the poster prior said, players where miffed when Mark Jackson got the boot, but winning cures all ills. If you can get a good coach you make the moves to get him, at any cost.

The way the Kings went about this whole thing was a joke though. Corbin is a crap coach, but he is still a person, and to have the Kings organization going out and hiring somebody while you are still coaching, that just lame.

The other thing that is head scratching about this is is that why not wait til the offseason? The kings suck. Why risk losing ping pong balls on a lost season?

This ownership group is as baffling as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    The other thing that is head scratching about this is is that why not wait til the offseason? The kings suck. Why risk losing ping pong balls on a lost season?

This ownership group is as baffling as the old one.
    I would assume the only reason they hired him now, as opposed to the off-season, was to make sure a team like New Orleans or Cleveland didn't have a chance to hire him first. He's on the record saying that if he could start a NBA franchise with any player, it would be AD. Now if we miss the playoffs and the FO decides to can Monty, which gig do you think he would have chosen? I would assume New Orleans over Sacramento. If we had offered, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I would assume the only reason they hired him now, as opposed to the off-season, was to make sure a team like New Orleans or Cleveland didn't have a chance to hire him first. He's on the record saying that if he could start a NBA franchise with any player, it would be AD. Now if we miss the playoffs and the FO decides to can Monty, which gig do you think he would have chosen? I would assume New Orleans over Sacramento. If we had offered, of course.

Yeah I guess so. Then I just have to wonder why Karl didn't just wait either? I mean why rush it when the offer will likely still be there in 3 months? He can just say he is now at a point in his life where he is morally against pushing a guy that was promised he could finish the season out the door.

But the alternative is that a team like the Pelicans or Cavs may have come calling. Just a odd thing all around.

Yeah I guess so. Then I just have to wonder why Karl didn't just wait either? I mean why rush it when the offer will likely still be there in 3 months? He can just say he is now at a point in his life where he is morally against pushing a guy that was promised he could finish the season out the door.

But the alternative is that a team like the Pelicans or Cavs may have come calling. Just a odd thing all around.
    Maybe the offer would have still been there, but maybe not. If Carl misses coaching that much, he may not want to take that gamble.

Even if he would've preferred to coach New Orleans, Sac is still a good gig. The FO might suck there(I really don't know; I do think they made a mistake firing Malone), but he has a chance to coach the best center in the league. Maybe he feels at this age, he can't let a good opportunity pass him by.
    Last edited by RUFshreve; 02-12-2015 at 06:15 PM.

This makes the Avery Johnson more and more likely

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    yea that means absolutely nothing tho.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Maybe the offer would have still been there, but maybe not. If Carl misses coaching that much, he may not want to take that gamble.

Even if he would've preferred to coach New Orleans, Sac is still a good gig. The FO might suck there(I really don't know; I do think they made a mistake firing Malone), but he has a chance to coach the best center in the league. Maybe he feels at this age, he can't let a good opportunity pass him by.
    Oh I get that that is probably the reason why Karl took the job. I just would of thought Karl would of been a little smarter about his final chance at coaching then desperately accepting his first opportunity.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This "What if it makes AD angry?" Rhetoric about keeping Monty is bunk.

All I hear is, "What if AD leaves us just like Chris Paul did?"

Quote Originally Posted by kdalw1 View Post
    This makes the Avery Johnson more and more likely
    Monty still has a year on his contract.

I think Dumars is a more likely switch TBH. Demps contract ends this season unless we pick up an option. If Demps doesnt reach the internal goals of the organization Dumars very well could be the go-to guy based on rumors.

And it wouldn't surprise me given the questionable moves of this ownership.

Oh I get that that is probably the reason why Karl took the job. I just would of thought Karl would of been a little smarter about his final chance at coaching then desperately accepting his first opportunity.
    When healthy and with Malone coaching, they were competing for a playoff spot. If you believe like I do, that Karl is a better coach than Malone, then there's no reason to think he can't get them to the playoffs next year, if they stay healthy and buy into his system. Taking the job now, gives Karl the chance to evaluate what he has to work with for next season. I would assume they promise him plenty of say so in the roster, going forward. I'm not saying he made the smartest decision, but I can see the logic behind taking the job now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    This "What if it makes AD angry?" Rhetoric about keeping Monty is bunk.

All I hear is, "What if AD leaves us just like Chris Paul did?"
    Every Pelican fan's greatest fear.

I think Dumars is a more likely switch TBH. Demps contract ends this season unless we pick up an option. If Demps doesnt reach the internal goals of the organization Dumars very well could be the go-to guy based on rumors.

I know Monty is under contract next year. But what im asking is who is gonna coach the team after he gets fired at the end of this season?
    Front office surely would not need a sixth year to realize that he is not a very good head coach.
    If so God help us all.

And i agree with you about Dell Demps.

Quote Originally Posted by kdalw1 View Post
    I know Monty is under contract next year. But what im asking is who is gonna coach the team after he gets fired at the end of this season?
    Front office surely would not need a sixth year to realize that he is not a very good head coach.
    If so God help us all.
    I don't think he gets fired unless we have a spectacular collapse down the stretch....Which I wouldn't rule out.

Jason Kidd making bucks better than the pelicans is proof that monty is a bad coach

Thread Information