Pelicans Report

Thread: Allstar Weekend

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! wuggie's Avatar

Allstar Weekend

Well this a thread to discuss all the weekend from friday until the Allstar game tonight since no one did one yet. This can be merged with the Zach Lavine thread if needed.

I didn't watch much of Friday's Rook vs Soph game but I believe Gobert did great.

From Saturday, I overall liked it more than the previous years, going in I was afraid that they would have tried more gimmicks like previous but they brought it back to more traditional rules, (minus the skills challenge) even and especially during the dunk contest.

I thought the three point contest was intense and fun too watch. Curry was going to win? I never would have guessed...

The dunk contest definitely had it's moments *cough* Zach Lavine *cough* Lavine was awesome and Oladipo had a great dunk. When it comes to a dunk contest, sometimes you just need to keep it simple.

Thoughts?

R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl

Lavine is a freak of nature. Dude has serious hops.
    I'm a grinder

Wow, Christina Aguilera has a really nice pair of singing voice.

LaVine was entertaining, but I'm so sick of the number of scrubs the Slam Dunk Competition involves every year.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Shooting Stars:
    As entertaining as usual, with my favorite Dominique nailing the halfcourt shot to put it away.
    Could be more entertaining with some rule tweaks.

Skills Challenge:
    I like the "head to head" aspect. Dislike the removal of the bounce pass and ending with a dunk/layup. Should start with the 3 ptr next year.
    End with the dunk/layup. (Can you imagine two players racing to throw down a dunk before the other?)

3 Pt Contest:
    Mostly lived up to hype. Wish they'd shoot 2 at a time again. Split screen is ok by me and speeds it up.

Dunk Contest:
    Was rooting for Oladipo, and damned if he didn't impress from the start with a 360 reverse. This deserved a 50 for creativity alone.
    360 off the side of the backboard was also a beautiful dunk, though under appreciated by most. (Derrick Williams a few years ago)

Lavine's first dunk was nice, but there's only so many times you can go East Bay before it starts to bore me. (everyone does it now, much like the "jump over random person")
    Kid's got good hops though. Reminds me of Rex Chapman. (also 1 legged jumper).

Were there more than 2 contestants?

All Star game:
    Was a good exhibition overall. No defense and lots of high flying. Wish Brow would've been healthy enough to play. I think he would've stolen the show this year. His confidence is much higher than last year.

There's gonna be WAY too much dead time on this site for the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Lavine is a freak of nature. Dude has serious hops.
    He's kinda like Blake Griffin.....A whole lotta sizzle with very little steak.....thats my opinion of Griffin anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Shooting Stars:
    As entertaining as usual, with my favorite Dominique nailing the halfcourt shot to put it away.
    Could be more entertaining with some rule tweaks.

Skills Challenge:
    I like the "head to head" aspect. Dislike the removal of the bounce pass and ending with a dunk/layup. Should start with the 3 ptr next year.
    End with the dunk/layup. (Can you imagine two players racing to throw down a dunk before the other?)

3 Pt Contest:
    Mostly lived up to hype. Wish they'd shoot 2 at a time again. Split screen is ok by me and speeds it up.

Dunk Contest:
    Was rooting for Oladipo, and damned if he didn't impress from the start with a 360 reverse. This deserved a 50 for creativity alone.
    360 off the side of the backboard was also a beautiful dunk, though under appreciated by most. (Derrick Williams a few years ago)

Lavine's first dunk was nice, but there's only so many times you can go East Bay before it starts to bore me. (everyone does it now, much like the "jump over random person")
    Kid's got good hops though. Reminds me of Rex Chapman. (also 1 legged jumper).

Were there more than 2 contestants?

All Star game:
    Was a good exhibition overall. No defense and lots of high flying. Wish Brow would've been healthy enough to play. I think he would've stolen the show this year. His confidence is much higher than last year.

There's gonna be WAY too much dead time on this site for the next week.
    A player like Davis is what use to make the all-star game and weekend great....he wants to go out and compete and make a statement....thats probablly why he didn't play because he knew he would go H.A.M. and it wasnt worth the risk

So got a question and sorry if it's dumb but is Davis still considered a all star since didn't play he's still a 2x all star right?
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    So got a question and sorry if it's dumb but is Davis still considered a all star since didn't play he's still a 2x all star right?
    yep

Thread Information