Pelicans Report

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: GAME THREAD: New Orleans Pelicans vs. Utah Jazz

Tyreke shouldn't be the primary ball handler in the last 3 minutes. I've seen enough to know he can't handle it. But who else do we give it to? It was tyrekes game to win/lose
    ITS A UNIBROW UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Drew&Jrue View Post
    Tyreke shouldn't be the primary ball handler in the last 3 minutes. I've seen enough to know he can't handle it. But who else do we give it to? It was tyrekes game to win/lose
    Anyone else TBH. Tonight Gordon. Evans went 0-5 in the fourth, Gordon 4-4. You go with the hot hand and hope it puts you over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Agreed. Tyreke could be so good for us if he would just understand that he isn't the best player on the team. He needs to stop playing hero ball, and he needs to play to his strengths! I think, once AD starts to assert himself more offensively, we will see Reke back off (hopefully). He could be a huge player for us if he just had more discipline.
    Frankly he needs to go through whatever process it was that Gordon went through that has completely made him do a 180 on his mindset and decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Hurted. Lol.
    Damn. Yep, not my first language but that is still a bad mistake. 6AM here so it is justified. Kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Damn. Yep, not my first language but that is still a bad mistake. 6AM here so it is justified. Kind of.
    Well in that case bravo. I'd say most of us on here couldn't formulate a sentence in another language. Heck I know I couldn't. Hell I struggle just stringing together more then a few sentences without screwing something up lol.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Tough loss tonight, and we had a chance to blow the tops off, but when that bench came in... an already depleted bench... yeah. Hurts to lose, but not a season killer. Get well AD

No, not at all. I think Davis is once in a decade type player. There is definitely a world between him and the second best player on the Pels.

That said this was probably one of the worst guard plays I have seen of Jazz. 4 of 28 shooting and they still managed to win despite it.
    I think you read this Pelicans team very wrong. It isn't like they can just give the ball to Davis and he can get buckets whenever he wants. He has improved in that area but he is not that kind of player yet.

With him in the lineup, it is more about synergy. He makes his team mates better and he also feeds off of them. Gordon and Holiday set him up for easy baskets very well and so does Tyreke...when he's not boneheaded.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I think you read this Pelicans team very wrong. It isn't like they can just give the ball to Davis and he can get buckets whenever he wants. He has improved in that area but he is not that kind of player yet.

With him in the lineup, it is more about synergy. He makes his team mates better and he also feeds off of them. Gordon and Holiday set him up for easy baskets very well and so does Tyreke...when he's not boneheaded.
    Of course it isn't a 1-man game. I think you have great 3 big-man rotation with Aşık, Davis and Anderson though Anderson hasn't been that good this year. Eric Gordon has an improved his 3PT shooting and that helps a lot but I don't think Tyreke's non-shooting and Jrue Holiday's %35 shooting helps the spacing when both Aşık and Davis is in the game. With Anderson you could afford to play Tyreke but with Aşık, there is just to many bodies inside the arc. So you definitely need an 3&D player that won't spend time much on the ball and stop the ball-movement.

And you would be 3 or 4 games better with 2 solid bench players.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    The Player That Shall Remain Nameless, can't make the adjustment that Gordon is making. Yes, 85% of Gordons Renaissance is mental and theoretically The Player That Shall Remain Nameless could do it also, but he won't. He's too poor a shooter. He is what he is. Our only hope is to squeeze him via internal improvements from AD & Jrue and possibly a big name wing signing when Mr. Gordons existing contract runs out. In that scenario, The Player That Shall Remain Nameless is forced to acquiesce to the presence of more gifted players. That and maybe some cleaner play that comes from just being older, but I won't hold my breath for that. I mean Rafer Alston once played big minutes for two different playoff teams, so I guess anything is possible...
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 02-10-2015 at 01:18 AM.

My biggest fear is that the good run of games we had was a fluke. Hopefully once our guys come back we see improvement, but I'd hate to see Monty excused again bc of injuries. I want him to do well, but he needs to win tough games like these. He needs to set Tyreke straight; part of the job is getting your players to buy into team basketball. He allowed Vazquez to do the same; Monty doesn't seem to know what to do when he doesn't have a legit PG. His system relies on a smart ball handler to run the show. Having said all this, most of the blame lies with the players. They need to be consistent throughout the game.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    unforced turnovers really hurt last night, but I did see what appears to be a possible bright spot..... Toney Douglas is a tenacious defender and I thought he did really well on that side of the ball..... a little more from an offensive perspective and he should hang around for a little while anyway....oh, and does anyone think that NBA officials will ever learn to call what they "actually" see and swallow their whistles when they "think" they might have seen something? Naaaaa.....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Didn't watch the game, did Q-Pon go down? Less than 17 minutes? DC going for 22 minutes.

I'd personally like to see Pondexter get more minutes than DC, but having Babbitt log more minutes than both? Come on...
    Last edited by AD23forMVP; 02-10-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Why we lost...

- Jazz had 500 "2nd chance" points from 1000 offensive rebounds.
    - We turned the ball over as if we didn't want it (Tyreke had 5 and EG had 6 TOs)
    - The Jazz... like many of our opponents... shot the lights-out from the perimeter.

Had we not allowed so many offensive rebounds we would have won. Even with all of the turnovers we still would have won. Those offensive rebounds gave them a ton of put-backs.

I don't know why teams shoot so well against us. I don't mean layups... teams kill us with jumpers. When did Kanter and Favors turn into Dirk? I don't remember neither of those guys having a mid-range game.

Just another one of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Didn't watch the game, did Q-Pon go down? Less than 17 minutes? DC going for 22 minutes.

I'd personally like to see Pondexter get more minutes than DC, but having Babbitt log more minutes than both? Come on...
    We were missing a lot of scoring, and Babitts a better scorer than Qpon, I think thats all there is.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I really don't think that's valid, especially when a guy like Hayward went for 32 and 8.

We were missing our two PF. Babbitt is actually a PF. Makes sense he got so many minutes. Then when you combine how many minutes our guards got QPons makes sense.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Why we lost...

- Jazz had 500 "2nd chance" points from 1000 offensive rebounds.
    - We turned the ball over as if we didn't want it (Tyreke had 5 and EG had 6 TOs)
    - The Jazz... like many of our opponents... shot the lights-out from the perimeter.

Had we not allowed so many offensive rebounds we would have won. Even with all of the turnovers we still would have won. Those offensive rebounds gave them a ton of put-backs.

I don't know why teams shoot so well against us. I don't mean layups... teams kill us with jumpers. When did Kanter and Favors turn into Dirk? I don't remember neither of those guys having a mid-range game.

Just another one of those games.
    You guys shot almost 60% from 3 and are bemoaning the Jazz good perimeter shooting?

Both Kanter and Favors have good mid-range jump shots. I don't think you have watched the Jazz very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Npliam View Post
    You guys shot almost 60% from 3 and are bemoaning the Jazz good perimeter shooting?

Both Kanter and Favors have good mid-range jump shots. I don't think you have watched the Jazz very much.
    While I agree Favors (http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202324/stats/shooting/) has a decent mid-range game... I stand by what I said about Kanter.

Enes Kanter: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202683/stats/shooting/

10-14 ft: 30.8%
    15-19 ft: 32.1%

No I don't watch many Jazz games but in the games that I've watched them play... they (Kanter/Favors) didn't shoot worth a damm from the perimeter. As for the Pels shooting 60% from 3... 1 dude went 7 for 8, so yeah that 59% looks about right.

Of course it isn't a 1-man game. I think you have great 3 big-man rotation with Aşık, Davis and Anderson though Anderson hasn't been that good this year. Eric Gordon has an improved his 3PT shooting and that helps a lot but I don't think Tyreke's non-shooting and Jrue Holiday's %35 shooting helps the spacing when both Aşık and Davis is in the game. With Anderson you could afford to play Tyreke but with Aşık, there is just to many bodies inside the arc. So you definitely need an 3&D player that won't spend time much on the ball and stop the ball-movement.

And you would be 3 or 4 games better with 2 solid bench players.
    I assume your 35% figure for Holiday is true shooting %, which doesn't really say how well a players makes shots because it is warped by free throw attempts. Holiday does not and never has gotten to the free throw line much at all. However he is a career 38% 3 point shooter and he's there again this year, so you cannot just pack the paint with him on the floor.

Matter of fact, that 1st game against Utah he was 2-2 from 3. Didn't attempt any in the second game.

Just to put it out there, he had 30 and 9 assists, 2-5 from 3 against the Warriors, whom needed OT to beat the Pelicans...without AD.

I think these games could just be outliers for Tyreke. He looked lazy in the 4th and yesteraday in the 3rd against Chicago, did nothing on offense for a while then decided to take a couple bad shots.

The Tyreke we've seen over the past month has been playing at an incredible level and everyone jumps on him for a couple bad quarters

Thread Information