Pelicans Report

Thread: this is my apology thread to Omer

this is my apology thread to Omer

You are doing a mountain of work defensively and your value has been grossly understated by myself.

Peace big fella and keep up the beasting work

No problem
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

Like Monty, he too has some more to show. He is performing well (to that we can all attest), but we want to see it on a more regular basis if we want to win more games.

I am a fan of brining him back for $8-$10 mm next season...if he can do more than sustain these recent levels of success. If he can pick up his game just in 1 or 2 more areas we will be freaky dominant.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm really confused why these Omer threads keep popping up. One game he sucks, the next he's great. And yet, he's just being himself night in and night out. He is easily the most consistent player on the team other than AD. He's got his highest rebounding percentage and PER plus the lowest turnover percentage of his career right now.

What about his résumé suggests he'd be anything other than exactly what he has been? And why is that not good enough for some people?

At this point for me, Omer Asik is basically the measuring stick for people who actually understand the game of basketball. Any calls for him to "work on his hands" or to "improve his offense" are ridiculous. He's 30 years old, he is who he is. Learn to love and appreciate his game like every other GM and basketball mind in the NBA who has hyped him for years, and you'll save yourself a ton of anguish. Watch him move his feet as well as ANY big man in the league on defense. He is an absolute master at defensive positioning. I really believe that if he had even close to Dwight Howard's physical gifts we'd be talking about him as a top 3 defensive center ever.

Omer Asik is VERY good at what he does. Focus on that and let these threads die. Or at least switch up the narrative, because this bipolar Asik relationship is played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    I'm really confused why these Omer threads keep popping up. One game he sucks, the next he's great. And yet, he's just being himself night in and night out. He is easily the most consistent player on the team other than AD. He's got his highest rebounding percentage and PER plus the lowest turnover percentage of his career right now.

What about his résumé suggests he'd be anything other than exactly what he has been? And why is that not good enough for some people?

At this point for me, Omer Asik is basically the measuring stick for people who actually understand the game of basketball. Any calls for him to "work on his hands" or to "improve his offense" are ridiculous. He's 30 years old, he is who he is. Learn to love and appreciate his game like every other GM and basketball mind in the NBA who has hyped him for years, and you'll save yourself a ton of anguish. Watch him move his feet as well as ANY big man in the league on defense. He is an absolute master at defensive positioning. I really believe that if he had even close to Dwight Howard's physical gifts we'd be talking about him as a top 3 defensive center ever.

Omer Asik is VERY good at what he does. Focus on that and let these threads die. Or at least switch up the narrative, because this bipolar Asik relationship is played out.
    Pretty much all of this lol it's like people thought we were getting an offensive juggernaut or something he was brought here to do exactly what he is doing wow lol

It really is about expectations. Frankly, he is doing EXACTLY what we need hi to.

Yes I want him to finish stronger and keep the ball up high (hello big man 101) but again, he is doing his job.

Now, take a look at all the big-name strong centers. Asik has pretty much shut down every one of them this year.

Its odd, he doesn't look that big or strong (muscles I mean), but he must be. He does not get moved at all when he boxes out.
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 02-03-2015 at 11:40 AM.

I (along with others) are happy with what we have, and I have long been in the boat of "he is doing what he has been brought here to do". But he can still improve his game. Every NBA great ever has gone home over the summer and looked to bring something new to their game the next season. From Shaq hiring a ft coach on multiple occasions, to Kobe working with Hakeem on how to build his down low game. Great NBA players separate themselves from ok NBA players because they do push themselves to be greater. I believe Asik can be better. He is only 28, and has been in the NBA for 5 years. Maybe not right now (since it will require some work), but this summer he should look into hiring a shooting coach, or going and training with Vlade Divac, or train with Hakeem. If he can change just a few things in his game he would go from being a top 25 center to being a top 10 center.

This isn't asking to much. Asking to much is what we tell AD every night. If AD can go home during the offseason and work on his game, EVERYBODY can go home and work on their game. Not everyone has AD's God given talent, but everyone should have the same work ethic of their leader.

Do you ever stop

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Do you ever stop
    Does anyone? Good to great. YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I (along with others) are happy with what we have, and I have long been in the boat of "he is doing what he has been brought here to do". But he can still improve his game. Every NBA great ever has gone home over the summer and looked to bring something new to their game the next season. From Shaq hiring a ft coach on multiple occasions, to Kobe working with Hakeem on how to build his down low game. Great NBA players separate themselves from ok NBA players because they do push themselves to be greater. I believe Asik can be better. He is only 28, and has been in the NBA for 5 years. Maybe not right now (since it will require some work), but this summer he should look into hiring a shooting coach, or going and training with Vlade Divac, or train with Hakeem. If he can change just a few things in his game he would go from being a top 25 center to being a top 10 center.

This isn't asking to much. Asking to much is what we tell AD every night. If AD can go home during the offseason and work on his game, EVERYBODY can go home and work on their game. Not everyone has AD's God given talent, but everyone should have the same work ethic of their leader.
    Why do you always look for the dark side of everyone. God , it must be awful being you. Do you think for one second if he got a great offensive game overnight and was doing 20 and 20 we could afford to keep him. Of course not. Be greatfull for his and all the other guys contributions. Both large and small.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    Why do you always look for the dark side of everyone. God , it must be awful being you. Do you think for one second if he got a great offensive game overnight and was doing 20 and 20 we could afford to keep him. Of course not. Be greatfull for his and all the other guys contributions. Both large and small.
    I am a contrarian by nature. It's not my design to leave people butt hurt (but if the shoe fits, lace it up and go for a run). Do you not push yourself in everything? If you don't, it must be miserable being you.

As for Asik, do I think if he went 20/20 we could keep him? Probably not. But you know what else we wouldn't be able to do (as much)? Lose. If he went for 20/20 you would have arguably the best front court in the NBA. I wouldn't mind that. Would you?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    It really is about expectations. Frankly, he is doing EXACTLY what we need hi to.

Yes I want him to finish stronger and keep the ball up high (hello big man 101) but again, he is doing his job.

Now, take a look at all the big-name strong centers. Asik has pretty much shut down every one of them this year.

Its odd, he doesn't look that big or strong (muscles I mean), but he must be. He does not get moved at all when he boxes out.
    Hes taking the physical beating for The Special Man ! That is what he is here to do ! Oh & rebound ! So, its all good !

Great another shot. Glad you sent this one in my direction. I already know that you are a NO-NOT. Others here might not be aware of that. For those who don't a NO-NOT is one who thinks he knows but KNOWNS-NOT.

Wait, another shot at you? Where was the first one? I think you No-Not of who you are talking to. I only responded to the comment you directed at me. You must have me confused for somebody else, but se la vie.
    I have no problems with you my friend.
    With luck we make the playoffs.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 02-03-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    Great another shot. Glad you sent this one in my direction. I already know that you are a NO-NOT. Others here might not be aware of that. For those who don't a NO-NOT is one who thinks he knows but KNOWNS-NOT.
    Is he a No-Not,as you say, because he doesnt agree with you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    You are doing a mountain of work defensively and your value has been grossly understated by myself
    I still think there's a legit question to whether you pay $10+ for a guy that is likely to be on the bench at the end of the game, but people have been objecting to him for very bad reasons, "I could have made that play." That's why people get so frustrated with him. What they fail to take into account is that while they probably could make a simple layup, they couldn't be a top 5 rebounder in the league. Considering we have plenty of offense and low team turnovers, we can afford Asik's weaknesses and we really need his strength. Top 10 rebounding team with Asik, bottom 10 rebounding team the last few years without him.

But you can rebound and get put backs. You can get rebounds and still score from 5 ft away. Look at the greats (not even centers, look at Karl Malone and PJ Brown). They managed to rebound and shoot. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

Would you really be upset if we had to pay top dollar to a center who was dominant on the defensive side, and able to give you 2-3+ more points a game? People want Marc Gasol, and are willing to pay him top dollar to come here. What's the difference between Gasol, and what Asik could be if he could score a few more points a game? Who's really chasing the unicorn here, the people wanting to sign Gasol or some other big, or the guy saying saying you already have that guy on your team (if he could only develop some pretty basic basketball concepts), and sign him for cheaper than the big name guys out there?

"I could have made that play." Lol, exactly.

I assure you a professional basketball player of Omer Asik's ability is not consistently missing shots any of the pasty, khaki pants cubicle warriors on this board would be converting. The guy gets absolutely mauled any time he touches the ball in the paint. The ones he misses are usually a lot tougher than he gets credit for because he fumbles a couple of passes a game and that's all people remember. The narrative on him is so skewed.

Is he raw offensively for an NBA player? Of course, WE KNEW THIS. Anyone who had seen him play for 5 minutes was well aware he has limitations. If he didn't, he'd be a max player and Chicago, much less Houston, would have never let him out the door. Some guys simply do not possess the coordination for high level offense. But even less, WAY LESS, have the defensive coordination and focus at 7 feet tall as Omer Asik. I'll take that all day over Spencer Hawes or whatever soft *** "offensive" big man we'd settle for.

And why is anyone bringing up Marc Gasol? Let's keep the discussion based in reality please. The only comparable UFA's we have a shot at are Robin Lopez (but not really, he aint moving) and Tyson Chandler (also very unlikely). Building an NBA roster is as much about opportunity as anything, and we really don't have a clear opportunity to upgrade over Omer. So learn to love him like those of us that already do.

I brought up Marc Gasol because people on the board think he is an option. I think it is less likely that we get him than Asik improving his game somewhere. There is no need to go after (or entertain) the idea of going after the unattainable, when you can have so much more right here.

Thread Information