Pelicans Report

Thread: Mike Malone

Mike Malone

What if we could get Mike Malone back as an assistant coach? I think he brings the fiery voice from the team that this team needs. I believe he has improved every team defensively that he has been on. I think he is the piece that Monty has been missing. I mean let's be fair, who has a worse staff than monty?

What do you guys think about bringing Malone back as an assistant?

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    What do you guys think about bringing Malone back as head coach
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Fify is a gay acronym
    Using gay as a derogatory term is the epitome of low class, ignorance, and stupidity, so there's that.
    @mcnamara247

He was briefly an assistant for the Timberwolves, since it didn't last very long I think it was more of an on the job interview by Flip. Coaching in the NBA is a little unusual because head coaches do go back to being assistants regularly, but my guess is Malone is going to hold out for a head coaching job for now.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I'd love to have Malone come in as a coach, whether it be asst. or head with Monty as asst.

As the Kings continue to struggle, as the a FO continues to get more and more backlash for the firing and as Cousins continues to regress back into old habits, Malone's stock will continue to rise. The more time passes the more it is becoming clear and clearer to more people that Malone was a good coach there and that will push him up the wish list of franchises.

I doubt he goes back to assisstant coach for any long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by BP225 View Post
    He was briefly an assistant for the Timberwolves, since it didn't last very long I think it was more of an on the job interview by Flip. Coaching in the NBA is a little unusual because head coaches do go back to being assistants regularly, but my guess is Malone is going to hold out for a head coaching job for now.
    He was not an assistant. He was a consultant. If you are a consultant, you can get paid by both teams. If you are an assistant coach or any type of coach, the Kings don't have to pay you. This, more than anything, is the thing holding him back from becoming an assistant for us

Is this a titular distinction or are their specific types of activities that would be prohibited as a consultant?

We offered him the same consultant job. He chose Minnesota

The Franchise    Contributor   

Wonder why he chose them? Maybe a 'been there, done that' situation and Minny was a chance to see something different and make some new connections. But now that his time as a 'consultant' with Minny is over, wonder why he wouldn't want to spend some time here? You'd think our offer still stands. Unless he's got kids at home. Coaches see so little of their family in-season his family probably prefers he stay home - especially since he's still cashing Kings checks. Since you heard he turned down our initial invite, any insight MM?
    Much as I love what he's done everywhere he's been, as a slow it down defensive guy, not sure what I'd think about him as a long term option. And as posted above, he's going to be very much in demand

We spoke to him (https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...73849795829762) and my best guess is he chose Minny because there is a definite job opening possibility there because Flip wants to be in the front office long term.

He doesn't have that here, at least not as obvious. And much like Thibs, I don't think he would undermine Monty like that. Malone wants to be a Head Coach again and I don't think that opportunity was available here, so why not just sit at home and collect checks and wait for the phone to ring. The more Sacto loses, the better he looks

Thread Information