Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why are the HAWKS so good and what do the PELS need to do to beat them?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Why are the HAWKS so good and what do the PELS need to do to beat them?

I really can't wait for Monday's game. Questions: will AD play? Will Jrue play?

What makes the HAWKS so good? What must the PELS to do beat them?

I have a funny feeling the PELICANS will beat them.

Seems like Teague, Millsap, Horford, and Korver are all playing very well. No superstars but it seems like Atlanta has multiple above average veteran players who are very consistent. Teague seemed to have given us a lot of problems last time we played them.

Any thoughts about this game? I'm curious why Atlanta became so dominant.

They play as a team. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they lead the NBA in assists.

Atlanta is good because they have: Multiple 3-point shooters that are more consistent than ours; multiple rebounders; unselfish smart players who know what to do on both sides of the ball, and have bought in to doing it; a nice Eastern conference to play in so no problem making the playoffs every year while building a team slowly.

If we come out and play with energy I think we can beat them.

The duo of Horford and Millsap is an interesting one. Neither will ever be confused for AD, Blake, Z-BO and Marc, or Gasol and Noah, but they are quietly having the best season of any big duo. I think all of their success starts up there, and then you have Teague playing the role of Conley to their Gasol/Randolph duo, but Korver and friends hitting everything behind the arc. The 3pt shooting is a plus, but without those two bigs they are who they were last year (which wasn't bad in and of itself).
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If we hit our shots we win. We can rebound and keep up with any team. We just need to hit our shots. We are 25th in the league in 3pt attempts. If we have another game from 3pt like against the Clippers I think we win.

Banned
    Millsap is better than Zbo at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    Millsap is better than Zbo at this point.
    No doubt, I remember last year somebody saying we should talk to the Hawks about trading for Horford (I can't remember the exact details of said trade), but that move would have made us, and probably broken them.

We struggle to defend the perimeter against good three-point shooters. Especially when the team can move the ball around to create open looks from the arc. If their shooters are hot, I don't see how we beat them.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe our tendency to play well against good teams will continue.
    A football game can't stop hurricanes.

It can't fix levees.

Or rebuild houses.

But it can let a city know...

That it's a city once again.

Welcome back, New Orleans.

They've won like 19 in a row and beaten teams like Portland okc Washington Memphis and clippers and cavs and rockets alot of those teams twice.
    I hope we can beat them I'm just not going to be all upset and pull out the Monty sucks signs if we lose that's all I'm saying I'm not getting my hopes up
    Last edited by Cheaney; 02-01-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

They are an elite shooting team, force a lot of TOs, and rarely send the other team to the line.

They are bad at rebounding and they turn the ball over frequently.

How do we beat them? Pray they miss shots and clean up the glass. Get lots of offensive rebounds and second chance points.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    They've won like 19 in a row and beaten teams like Portland okc Washington Memphis and clippers and cavs and rockets alot of those teams twice.
    I hope we can beat them I'm just going to be all upset and pull out the Monty sucks signs if we lose that's all I'm saying I'm not getting my hopes up
    Man even if we beat them monty would have absolutely nothing to do with it, it'd be all because of the players

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Man even if we beat them monty would have absolutely nothing to do with it, it'd be all because of the players
    I meant I wouldn't be pulling out the Monty sucks because I wouldn't blame him if we lost just like I wouldn't say he's the reason we win yes the coach is important but like you said it's about what the players do on the court that matter

The Hawks are the quintessential Know-Your-Role team. Millsap, Horford, Korver, Teague and even the guys on the bench really have a knack for making the right plays at the right time. Throw that together with Coach Bud's gameplan/philosophy and you get a match made in heaven. I think its great for the league to see more teams succeed this way.

All that said, when the Pels are hitting their open shots, they are a tough team to beat. Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if their heat check from Friday carries over. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they got flattened. Who WANTS to win all the time? Preposterous! That's no fun!

The Hawks have that one backup big that looks like a Superman villain. I wouldn't mind landing him some way some how. He is like 32 years old though, so it's not like he would be a long term player for us, but still, he would be worth the investment for a short term 3pt shooting big man.

Another think ppl say that when we are hitting our shots we are tough to beat... And that's true but that's also any other that are hitting their shots. Lol
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Another think ppl say that when we are hitting our shots we are tough to beat... And that's true but that's also any other that are hitting their shots. Lol
    I'd really like to see if other teams are as hot as cold as us though. And also if other teams home and away splits are as bad.

Banned
    If Anderson hits his 3's we probably will win. We also have to find a way to stop penetration by the german. They played him and Teague both at the end of the Sixer game and they are Kinda quick.

I don't expect a win against hawks , sorry . But this pelicans is one of the most inconsistent teams that I've ever seen . Good wins against good teams and bad losses against terrible teams , very interesting ...

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    I don't expect a win against hawks , sorry . But this pelicans is one of the most inconsistent teams that I've ever seen . Good wins against good teams and bad losses against terrible teams , very interesting ...

Mmmmk.

Kinda worried about who is going to guard Korver.

Really don't trust Evans on him because he is prone to fall asleep and Cunningham is definitely too slow. Gordon is probably our best choice but then we put Evans on Teague who he can't stay with. Don't like this matchup for us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moon54 View Post
    Burp
    I'm a grinder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheaney View Post
    I hope we can beat them I'm just not going to be all upset and pull out the Monty sucks signs if we lose that's all I'm saying I'm not getting my hopes up
    uhh, weve beaten OKC twice----Houston twice----SA twice-----Clips, Dallas,Cleve,Memphis & Toronto & are 80% at home ! I dont follow !

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think AD is gonna blow this thing up tonight.

Should I mention the teams we've lost to? Heck yeah we've beaten good teams and I haven't already given up hope that we can beat the Hawks I mean some one has to right? I'm just saying I'm not getting my hopes up so I won't be disappointed if we don't. It's probably because I have a closed off personality and don't let any one too close so my heart doesn't get hurt lol

Thread Information