Pelicans Report

View Poll Results: Which coach do you want next season?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thibs

24 45.28%
  • Karl

7 13.21%
  • Malone

0 0%
  • Avery

0 0%
  • Monty

14 26.42%
  • Other

8 15.09%

Thread: Which coach would you prefer next season?

Which coach would you prefer next season?

Thibs:
    Pros- Elite defensive coach and proven winner
    Cons: Over plays his players avg near 40 min a game

Karl:
    Pros- Proven winner may be the best fit in terms of play style for this roster
    Cons- Age, post season success

Avery
    Pros: Took 2 teams to the finals and a local guy
    Cons: Constant conflict with players

Malone
    Pros- Good defensive minded coach who had our defense great with CP3 and is young enough to grow with the team
    Cons- Unproven and struggles to coach a decent offense

Monty
    Pros: A players coach and good with player development
    Cons: A defensive minded coach who has yet to coach a decent defensive team

I choose Karl I think his offense is a match made in heaven for this team. I am worried about his age but if we can't win in he next 5 years AD is gone anyway. A close second is Thibs but he would have to agree with the FO to not have his players playing 40 mins a game which he won't do.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 01-31-2015 at 11:55 AM.

1-6

Outside of Poppovich there probably hasn't been a better coach than Thibs over the past 5 years. That said I might be worried about him running AD into the ground

Hoiberg from Iowa State!

We should go for thibs . But I also love george karl

Quote Originally Posted by PelicanFever View Post
    Hoiberg from Iowa State!
    I don't think we have time to wait for unproven coach again

I need to squash the Thibs maxes out players minuets idea. The guy playing the most minuets is Jimmy Butler (39.8mpg), followed by Gasol (35.2 mpg), who is followed by Noah & Rose (both tied at 30.7mpg).
    http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/.../chicago-bulls

Nobody in Chicago is getting worked to death. The guy plays Jimmy Butler one game for 44 minuets and suddenly he is the Captain of the Amestad.

While I would certainly love to have Tom here, I would also like to look at Tony Bennett from Virginia. He has them dominating the ACC right now, and he is a former NBA guy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I love the way Montel speaks post game so imma choose him.

Karl

this team lacks three point shooting and Karl has demonstrated that he can manufacture spacing in his offense without much shooting. I really wouldn't want Thibs anywhere near AD. He is a regular season coach that destroys his players by playoff time.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I need to squash the Thibs maxes out players minuets idea. The guy playing the most minuets is Jimmy Butler (39.8mpg), followed by Gasol (35.2 mpg), who is followed by Noah & Rose (both tied at 30.7mpg).
    http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/.../chicago-bulls

Nobody in Chicago is getting worked to death. The guy plays Jimmy Butler one game for 44 minuets and suddenly he is the Captain of the Amestad.
    Jimmy Butler is leading the league in minutes played and minutes per game. Nice deflection attempt though.

He's #1, with #3 being over 3 min per game less (!). This is his up and coming star, and just like he did with Luol Deng he is running him into the ground. Why do you guys think this is meaningless?

I don't want this guy anywhere near AD. Maybe he squeezes out a couple more wins than a Monty type, but at what cost? His only really good season came with the league MVP at full strength, a DPOY, and 2 other All Stars. Its like giving Spoelstra all the credit for the Heat chips. Outside of that season he's been pretty good, nothing more.

Players win in this league, not coaches. I truly believe Thibs gives us no greater chance at a chip than a Mike Malone type (which is to say not much), but the damage he could do to this franchise could be catastrophic. You guys can't see the forest for the trees, only looking at short term, basic level success (a playoff berth). I'm looking big picture (health and a title shot). If you want to win 45-50 games, have your tired and gassed team lose in the 1st round and run your superstar into the ground, Thibs is your guy.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Jimmy Butler is leading the league in minutes played and minutes per game. Nice deflection attempt though.

He's #1, with #3 being over 3 min per game less (!). This is his up and coming star, and just like he did with Luol Deng he is running him into the ground. Why do you guys think this is meaningless?

I don't want this guy anywhere near AD. Maybe he squeezes out a couple more wins than a Monty type, but at what cost? His only really good season came with the league MVP at full strength, a DPOY, and 2 other All Stars. Its like giving Spoelstra all the credit for the Heat chips. Outside of that season he's been pretty good, nothing more.

Players win in this league, not coaches.
    I think that's a terrible comparison. Looking at Thibs rosters without Rose you wouldn't have expected them to even make the playoffs, and they were never built to win in the playoffs with so little firepower

Hoidberg if it isn't Monty

Players win in this league, not coaches. I truly believe Thibs gives us no greater chance at a chip than a Mike Malone type (which is to say not much), but the damage he could do to this franchise could be catastrophic. You guys can't see the forest for the trees, only looking at short term, basic level success (a playoff berth). I'm looking big picture (health and a title shot). If you want to win 45-50 games, have your tired and gassed team lose in the 1st round and run your superstar into the ground, Thibs is your guy.
    Who is deflecting anything? I just put up minuets played per player and the only one close to 40mpg (which everyone believes Tibs forces on even his injured players) is Butler. I don't know where you get the idea that Tibs is ruining his up and coming star. Butler was the last pick of the 1st round in a mediocre draft. If anything, he has built himself an All Star in Butler.

But I digress, yes, he only went far because his MVP was healthy. Who doesn't go far when their MVP is healthy? Is this the argument you are hanging your hat on (he only goes as far as his MVP will take him)? Very well. Thank goodness we have a future perennial MVP on our team by the name of Anthony Davis.

Like I said, I am open to exploring many options, but I wouldn't stick my nose up if we only came away with Tibs.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 01-31-2015 at 02:10 PM.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Alvin Gentry or Mike Malone.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    Karl

this team lacks three point shooting and Karl has demonstrated that he can manufacture spacing in his offense without much shooting. I really wouldn't want Thibs anywhere near AD. He is a regular season coach that destroys his players by playoff time.
    Pretty much. I think Thibs is the best pure X's and O's coach on that list but he frankly frightens me with the way he grinds his players and his unwillingness to listen to any reasonable criticism about it.

Karl is the best fit for this team on that list. So I chose him. He has proven he can maximize a roster in multiple ways through his history as a coach. He is a proven winner that likely would of had a championship or two if he didn't come up against all time great teams.

With all that said though, if Monty pulls out a playoff birth and a strong appearance in the first round I think he will have earned another crack at it next year even if I would prefer Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Thibs:
    Pros- Elite defensive coach and proven winner
    Cons: Over plays his players avg near 40 min a game

Karl:
    Pros- Proven winner may be the best fit in terms of play style for this roster
    Cons- Age, post season success

Avery
    Pros: Took 2 teams to the finals and a local guy
    Cons: Constant conflict with players

Malone
    Pros- Good defensive minded coach who had our defense great with CP3 and is young enough to grow with the team
    Cons- Unproven and struggles to coach a decent offense

Monty
    Pros: A players coach and good with player development
    Cons: A defensive minded coach who has yet to coach a decent defensive team

I choose Karl I think his offense is a match made in heaven for this team. I am worried about his age but if we can't win in he next 5 years AD is gone anyway. A close second is Thibs but he would have to agree with the FO to not have his players playing 40 mins a game which he won't do.
    Are you a proven winner if you haven't actually won anything? We're killing CP3 for not getting out of the 2nd round but praising Thibs for it. I don't follow the logic. We murder coaches (ex Mark Jackson) for not going deep in the playoffs in the West but cut Thibs a break for not being able to get out of the weak East. Do people really think that he'll come to the West and be a world beater? Serious question. If you're gonna cut him some slack for injuries, have you not monitored the Pels health issues? He'll be in a tougher division and have equal health issues with a team not as good as his Chi teams. I value performance. I'd have to go with a guy who can win in the playoffs. That's not Thibs IMO
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Are you a proven winner if you haven't actually won anything? We're killing CP3 for not getting out of the 2nd round but praising Thibs for it. I don't follow the logic. We murder coaches (ex Mark Jackson) for not going deep in the playoffs in the West but cut Thibs a break for not being able to get out of the weak East. Do people really think that he'll come to the West and be a world beater? Serious question. If you're gonna cut him some slack for injuries, have you not monitored the Pels health issues? He'll be in a tougher division and have equal health issues with a team not as good as his Chi teams. I value performance. I'd have to go with a guy who can win in the playoffs. That's not Thibs IMO

Man, exactly. I don't expect any of the Thibs supporters to honestly address this, but you nailed it. He's getting ALL the credit for the Bulls "success," which isn't even really success at all! They make excuses for him, but don't grant the same respect to other coaches.

Is Thibs really a better head coach than say...Lionel Hollins? Hollins made it just as far with less talent in a tougher conference. But he gets no credit and was even fired. What about Frank Vogel? Even Avery Johnson has had more playoff success than Thibs for crying out loud, and he's an outright bum according to these people.

WHY IS THIBS UNQUESTIONABLY BETTER THAN THESE GUYS?? The evidence simply does not support it, and yet the parrots in here simply "heard" Thibs is an elite coach so they just repeat it. The free pass this guy has gotten into the Elite Coaches Club™ is simply bizarre.

I saw Karl and Malone, so I'm just going to write in Karl Malone and see how that works out!

Man, exactly. I don't expect any of the Thibs supporters to honestly address this, but you nailed it. He's getting ALL the credit for the Bulls "success," which isn't even really success at all! They make excuses for him, but don't grant the same respect to other coaches.

Is Thibs really a better head coach than say...Lionel Hollins? Hollins made it just as far with less talent in a tougher conference. But he gets no credit and was even fired. What about Frank Vogel? Even Avery Johnson has had more playoff success than Thibs for crying out loud, and he's an outright bum according to these people.

WHY IS THIBS UNQUESTIONABLY BETTER THAN THESE GUYS?? The evidence simply does not support it, and yet the parrots in here simply "heard" Thibs is an elite coach so they just repeat it. The free pass this guy has gotten into the Elite Coaches Club™ is simply bizarre.
    I think Thibs is a better coach than the guys listed, but he's not the messiah that a lot around NBA circle and fans think he is. I think he does well getting a lot of of a little in the regular season, but i'm skeptical about some of his playoff series. His first year w Rose being MVP he lost to a fantastic heat team. A historically good Heat team who tied a record for 4 finals appearances. We can't doc him for not making the finals coming out of the East imho. Now, the next 3 years him not getting out of R1 is troubling.

The biggest thing to me about Thibs is, i think he is who he was since day 1 coaching, aka he's at his ceiling and he shows a lack of desire to change for anyone or anything. This is very evident in the head butting going on between him in the front office. We also see it with the minutes played. It's really hard for me to get completely behind a guy who's hard headed like this. It gets you nowhere in life, no matter how brilliant of a defensive mind your are.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

I think I have said I am open to all options, so I don't think I qualify as a Tibs backer any more than a guy who is looking at options. With that said, he was in the East where the Heat were sporting Lebron, Bosh, Wade, and an assortment of ring chasers. Quite honestly even with Rose I wonder how well that goes. I don't think Tibs is Pops, Phil, or Rick Carlisle, but he is certainly better than 82% of the coaches coaching right now.

He is in a similar situation to Harbaugh, which makes me wonder how long he would last here before he rubbed people the wrong way and was chased off. That is my only issue with him.

Thread Information