Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Game Thread: Pelicans vs Clippers - 1-30-15

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Or getting more off the ball movement and making that extra pass in crunch time. When they don't do this, then yes..yell or whatever it takes to hold players accountable.

Now that I've seen that play more clearly, I don't even think that was a set play. Just a good read by Cunningham to pivot back toward the basket and Tyreke read it and pulled the trigger, instead of holding on to the ball for another iso.

This can come with experience, but a coach can also drill this into his player's heads that this is how we want our offense to run... (i.e. Atlanta, SA)
    This, sorry for the repeat. I think part of this comes with chemistry and part of it comes with respect. I think Dante's made his bones with the team, and Q. I think Reke and EG see those two hustling and playing smart, and that builds trust. I think they watched Babbitt or Salmons or Rivers get killed on D, never make proper cuts, miss open shots and passes, etc.... If you were as good as Tyreke you'd have a hard time passing to rivers on a semi-open back cut when you watch him miss 6 layups a game. I think that's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Writhe View Post
    The spurs also have on nights and off nights. Monty just needs to be able to slow the tempo down, get the defense focused, and run effective driving/post plays when we're not shooting well.
    He tries to do just that.... but defenses crunch in and passing lanes shrink and this is when everyone's up in arms about the slow, ISO-ball stuff. "Effective" is the key word.

I've said it since November... I don't care who he is, what he looks like, or what position he plays, we need an ISO scorer BAD. We need a guy who can go get you one no matter what's going on. AD isn't that. Tyreke can't do that when the Defense is crushed. I haven't seen Jrue effective or aggressive enough to be that guy. But we need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans78 View Post
    Ajinca has been fantastic this season when given minutes.
    Yep I agree. He's made me totally change my mind on withey. I'll keep ajinca for sure. He's been playing with a fire lately. Hopefully he can keep it up too.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Thing is that we do attack. We are actually #1 in the NBA in most FGA's inside of 5 feet. But 19th in FT attempts.

Either refs don't respect us or our guys avoid contact. Either way, our guards need to get to the line more. Westbrook, for instance, averages more FT attempts per game than Jrue, Gordon, and Tyreke COMBINED
    So much THIS I mean gordon had what 2 ft attempts the whole game and he was attacking like crazy and getting contact just about every single time that to me is on the refs,I mean times do we asik get hacked and evverything in between and yet get no calls it's seriously becoming a jjoke

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Phoenix is playing at a high level, but if we can play with a full healthy roster down the stretch and Dell adds another guard to upgrade the Jommer/Wolters spot, we'll be in the hunt.
    Idk man I am liking jimmers game for real. I think we need to give him more CONSISTENT minutes. He has nice offense, average on ball defense. I think he can def improve but he isnt just settling for 3s. He's taking it to the hoop, drawing fouls on opposing guards, and playing pretty smart. I like him in the rotation for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kclaboy504 View Post
    Idk man I am liking jimmers game for real. I think we need to give him more CONSISTENT minutes. He has nice offense, average on ball defense. I think he can def improve but he isnt just settling for 3s. He's taking it to the hoop, drawing fouls on opposing guards, and playing pretty smart. I like him in the rotation for sure.
    I agree. I think you have your backup combo guard already in Jimmer. He needs more minuets, but I think that will come when Jrue gets back, and we have to depend on Nate less. Our team isn't the 95-96 bulls, but it is built to win.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

If Jimmer could hit a 3 he might be a really good player. He is a better ballhandler and playmaker than he's gotten credit for. Better than Wolters for sure

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    If Jimmer could hit a 3 he might be a really good player. He is a better ballhandler and playmaker than he's gotten credit for. Better than Wolters for sure
    Yet Wolters get the minuets. And that's not a knock on Wolters, he is doing what he is told, and yes he is his second 10 day contract and we must evaluate, but at what point do we say, "Ok, we have seen enough."

Jimmer has only taken 31 three-point shots this season. Unfortunately he has only made 6. Had 6 more of those 25 misses gone in the conversation about Jimmer would be very different. Not saying he would be in starter contention or anything... but I doubt we would questioning him vs Wolters.

So much about the NBA is opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    He tries to do just that.... but defenses crunch in and passing lanes shrink and this is when everyone's up in arms about the slow, ISO-ball stuff. "Effective" is the key word.

I've said it since November... I don't care who he is, what he looks like, or what position he plays, we need an ISO scorer BAD. We need a guy who can go get you one no matter what's going on. AD isn't that. Tyreke can't do that when the Defense is crushed. I haven't seen Jrue effective or aggressive enough to be that guy. But we need him.
    AD will be become the iso man.

When he develops more moves, he will truly be unstoppable.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    AD will be become the iso man.

When he develops more moves, he will truly be unstoppable.
    Agreed. And saying we need a good iso scorer is essentially saying we need a superstar caliber player. Yeah, every team that doesnt have a Durant, Melo, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Gasol or LeBron wants a player like that. The fact is the best iso players also happen to be the best overall players in the league.

Davis can and likely will be as good and better then many of those guys in isolation when he gets comfortable scoring from the post, hitting threes and continuing to improve his current driving moves.

Outside of that we have 4 guys that should be above average in isolation: Evans, Jrue, Anderson and Gordon. Gordon and Jrue seems to be the smartest ones in isolation but Evans has been picking it up recently with smarter decision making.

Thread Information