Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Report: Magic coach on the verge of being fired, but Monty stays clear!?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    We actually have the #14 defense. It could probably be higher, but injuries and all.
    Opponent PPG is not a good way to measure our defense. We play at the 4th slowest pace in the league. We're bottom 10 in DRtg

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Monty and Thibs have one thing in common. They have the same record in the nba finals 0-0
    They've both won in other places assistants though

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTerrapin View Post
    Maybe bc our best player has yr highest PER in NBA history so far this year and we're essentially a .500 team. And we go thru SERIOUS stretches where the offense plays one on one hero ball with no semblance of guidance and/or play calling.
    To play devil's advocate, when Wilt Chamberlain set the PER record, his team was 31-49

Good point. Finally someone has made a good counter point. That's what I like to see. I'm so torn on Monty though. While I don't think firing a coach midseason does any good, I'm not sold on him beyond this season. The one thing I can't tell is if Monty is calling plays and doing the right things during these 5 minute stretches where they play iso one on one hero ball and they're just ignoring his coaching. Some of the simplest things bother me that any knowledgeable bball fan should notice. Pick n roll defense. This had been bad even back to the Byron Scott days. They FAR too often go over screens/run into the screener on guys that aren't threatening from beyond the arc. Another is Asik constantly holding the ball below or at his waist. I'm sure that's being beaten into his skull and he's just dumb. I assume. The team as a whole guards backcourt players too smothering beyond the arc. If John Wall is gonna make 9 threes and beat you, you have to live with that.

Couldn't you people simply open a fire monty thread or resume the old one? Man but you can be boring

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Couldn't you people simply open a fire monty thread or resume the old one? Man but you can be boring
    im sorry you're so fussy, ill do that exactly just for you next time

Monty's here for the rest of the year.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    Monty's here for the rest of the year.

Geaux Pels!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...spnnbaFacebook

This really confuses me, clearly Magic are tanking this season, yet their coach seems to have better expectations than Monty?? If coaches are being fired like Malone and Vaughan how is Monty still coaching, without any speculation
    The Pelicans are 2 games from the 8th spot, as of yesterday, in a tough Western conference. They might not get the spot, but they are competing.

We are only 2 games from the 8 seed. These next 10 games will be very telling.

I was just going to ignore this thread seeing that the win over the Clippers stops the nonsense from "fans of winning only" from dressing up as "fans of the Pelicans" and calling for Monty's head. After all, they only complain after losses, and they really know nothing of basketball for the most part (there are exceptions). They clearly do not watch other teams.

Still, I am glad to see readers demanding evidence from these charletans. Good job.

I will say that there was stuff to criticize monty for, and they just can not see them. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    We actually have the #14 defense. It could probably be higher, but injuries and all.
    We're 23rd, tied with Denver, in defensive efficiency. We play a very slow pace, which holds down the ppg against.

But by the same token, we're 8th in offensive efficiency and are much better on that end than the #'s look.

Jaque Vaughn is gone (hey that rhymes)

The Orlando Magic have fired head coach Jacque Vaughn, general manager Rob Hennigan announced Thursday.

Vaughn, 39, was in his third year as Orlando's coach and had a 58-158 record. A former Spurs assistant coach under Gregg Popovich, Vaughn was hired to guide the Magic in their post-Dwight Howard era.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...-jacque-vaughn

Banned
    Pop is ruining teams around the league.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    Pop is ruining teams around the league.
    Setting unachievable expectations since 1996

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

As a KU fan, I'm sad that Jacque didn't pan out in Orlando.

I'm happy that Borrego is getting a shot though.

I feel so conflicted.

The Borrego thing is quite interesting. Monty had quite a coaching staff at one point. I've been a fan of the idea of making changes (or additions) to the staff before whacking Monty.

Quote Originally Posted by greewe View Post
    As a KU fan, I'm sad that Jacque didn't pan out in Orlando.

I'm happy that Borrego is getting a shot though.

I feel so conflicted.
    Greewe - how come you post here so infrequently? I, for one, would like to hear from you more. Please don't tell me you spend most of your time on another board that shall not be named.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Greewe - how come you post here so infrequently? I, for one, would like to hear from you more. Please don't tell me you spend most of your time on another board that shall not be named.
    Ha. No other boards for me. I wish I had more time to be a bigger part of the community, but I work full time and am a full time graduate student, so I don't have all that much spare time.

ThaTerrepin makes the most sense of anyone on here. The coach has to reign in that iso ball or sit that player on the bench. I grew up watching Jerry Sloan. He would have never given minutes to a me first type player.
    I still think the dance team should be the Tail-feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    The Borrego thing is quite interesting. Monty had quite a coaching staff at one point. I've been a fan of the idea of making changes (or additions) to the staff before whacking Monty.
    The "Monty" tree.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmerTime View Post
    . Monty is a lame duck
    Don't bet your retirement on it.

Thread Information