Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team Meeting led by Q-Pon to address issues

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar

Team Meeting led by Q-Pon to address issues

Geez the guy's been here 5 minutes and he's already running things.
    I love it.

Maybe I mis-read something but the article doesnt seem to state that the meeting was organized by Pondexter.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Maybe I mis-read something but the article doesnt seem to state that the meeting was organized by Pondexter.
    Forgot the question mark.
    Seems like the way he was answering questions and his vocalness on the court would lead down that road of thinking.

this is the sought of thing cp3 and even Jason Smith would do when they were here.

i expect to see us go under screens for westbrook friday, let him beat us from deep since he will have his way with us if we chase him over

Where's bucket , quincy's adorable husky ? I didn't see him for a while , any news about that cutie

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    Forgot the question mark.
    Seems like the way he was answering questions and his vocalness on the court would lead down that road of thinking.
    Quincy has certainly stepped in as a leader for this team, I am in no way questioning that but the only hint of the meetings origin suggests this a was consensual feeling among teammates. Quincy just happened to be the guy they interviewed about this.

He may very well of been the originator of the idea, and it wouldn't surprise me, but I just don't think I can conclude that reading the article.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Don't have time to read through a bunch of threads today, so I figured I'd post this here...

At the end of the 4th Qtr when Tyreke got ripped AD didn't really hustle down to try and block the shot (I think it was Waiters who took it from Tyreke). It was right before a timeout. Our seats are behind the goal and it appeared that AD said "Gimme the ball!!!" and wasn't too happy about it. He also seemed to be glaring at Tyreke as they went to the bench for the timeout.

I'm not at all saying that there's an issue between the players; I've played bball and you get frustrated with your closest friends and teammates from time to time. But it's also not surprising that they called a team meeting. It sort of affirms what I thought I saw at the end of the game, which was frustration among the players.

I expect AD to get A LOT of touches tomorrow night.

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I love thatQpon has taken this team by the bojangles and made it his own. Even if he didn't call this meeting, he's a true leader on this team after only joining less than a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Don't have time to read through a bunch of threads today, so I figured I'd post this here...

At the end of the 4th Qtr when Tyreke got ripped AD didn't really hustle down to try and block the shot (I think it was Waiters who took it from Tyreke). It was right before a timeout. Our seats are behind the goal and it appeared that AD said "Gimme the ball!!!" and wasn't too happy about it. He also seemed to be glaring at Tyreke as they went to the bench for the timeout.

I'm not at all saying that there's an issue between the players; I've played bball and you get frustrated with your closest friends and teammates from time to time. But it's also not surprising that they called a team meeting. It sort of affirms what I thought I saw at the end of the game, which was frustration among the players.

I expect AD to get A LOT of touches tomorrow night.
    I saw a similar tiff between AD and Evans during the 76er's game. I wrote about it in that gameday thread but AD was visually and audibly pissed at how Evans was ignoring him on the block when he had a mismatch. That little jawing ended with Evans finding Davis on the block and a blow by of Noel and then a really gorgeous alley oop play that brought the house down.

Regardless who started the meeting, it is clearly a sign of growth. What is interesting is that Monty was there as a spectator. This shows that the guys are all buying into and owning the responsibility of bringing their A game and team play each and every time out.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS1717 View Post
    Regardless who started the meeting, it is clearly a sign of growth. What is interesting is that Monty was there as a spectator. This shows that the guys are all buying into and owning the responsibility of bringing their A game and team play each and every time out.
    That is the best takeaway from this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    AD said "Gimme the ball!!!" and wasn't too happy about it. He also seemed to be glaring at Tyreke as they went to the bench for the timeout.
    That is GREAT to hear honestly.
    I've been hoping AD would develop that killer (kobe bryant like) instinct of "gimme the ball i'm gonna go win this game".
    It seems....

So no one thinks this could backfire?

Like, this guy's been here for a couple of weeks... who does he think he is? Why would anyone listen to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    So no one thinks this could backfire?

Like, this guy's been here for a couple of weeks... who does he think he is? Why would anyone listen to him?
    Why not him....He's a veteran who's been on a playoff team every year he's been in the league......

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Why not him....He's a veteran who's been on a playoff team every year he's been in the league......
    When I think of the Grizzlies, I think of Tony Allen, Mike Conley, Z-Bo, or Marc Gasol... not Quincy freaking Pondexter...

Honestly, if I'm in the Pels locker room, I'm tuning this guy out.

When I think of the Grizzlies, I think of Tony Allen, Mike Conley, Z-Bo, or Marc Gasol... not Quincy freaking Pondexter...

Nah. All about the team mang and if it isn't we have the wrong guys in the locker room....

Again, there is nothing in this article that states Pondexter was the facilitator of this meeting. He was interviewed about the meeting, the article sources "players" deemed it necessary and held the meeting. Nothing has identified QPon as the leader of that meeting.

Clearly guys like Davis and Gordon have respect for him though because his advice and praise for him has been mentioned in post game interviews and in articles about the team.

I think the thread title is misleading some people into think Pondexter was playing coach. If you read the article it was an open meeting, and I'm sure the guys were intently listening to the only player on the team that has recently been part of a successful organization and how they handle things. The surprising thing to me is that this is news. This seems like it should be standard operating procedure, but the roster is loaded with guys that are young and/or have only been on teams that lost more than they won.

That'd be massively immature.

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BallSoHard View Post
    That'd be massively immature.
    So the second youngest team in the NBA wouldn't be immature?

So the second youngest team in the NBA wouldn't be immature?
    You said YOU would tune him out. What does being the second youngest team have to do with anything? Not to mention, maturity doesn't always intersect with age. If a guy is sending a good message on your team, why tune him out? Whoever tunes him out is part of the problem, not solution.

You said YOU would tune him out. What does being the second youngest team have to do with anything? Not to mention, maturity doesn't always intersect with age. If a guy is sending a good message on your team, why tune him out? Whoever tunes him out is part of the problem, not solution.
    Oh, okay instead of talking about my point, you're talking about me. That's cool

Oh, okay instead of talking about my point, you're talking about me. That's cool
    What point? That you would tune him out? I feel like i addressed that pretty clearly here:

If a guy is sending a good message on your team, why tune him out? Whoever tunes him out is part of the problem, not solution.

Thread Information