Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Report: Magic coach on the verge of being fired, but Monty stays clear!?

Report: Magic coach on the verge of being fired, but Monty stays clear!?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...spnnbaFacebook

This really confuses me, clearly Magic are tanking this season, yet their coach seems to have better expectations than Monty?? If coaches are being fired like Malone and Vaughan how is Monty still coaching, without any speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Pantazis76 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...spnnbaFacebook

This really confuses me, clearly Magic are tanking this season, yet their coach seems to have better expectations than Monty?? If coaches are being fired like Malone and Vaughan how is Monty still coaching, without any speculation
    Seriously?

i don't understand this fire Monty thing... maybe someone can enlighten me.

Maybe bc our best player has yr highest PER in NBA history so far this year and we're essentially a .500 team. And we go thru SERIOUS stretches where the offense plays one on one hero ball with no semblance of guidance and/or play calling.

Orlando W-15 L-34
    New Orleans W-24 L-22

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    Orlando W-15 L-34
    New Orleans W-24 L-22
    Exactly.

I was just gonna say, does no one realize we are above .500 in the western conference?

Like, if Monty and Dell and the rest of us were lucky enough to be in the East we'd be sitting on the 4th seed right now.

Though, oddly enough, we play our worst basketball against the East O.o

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTerrapin View Post
    Maybe bc our best player has yr highest PER in NBA history so far this year and we're essentially a .500 team. And we go thru SERIOUS stretches where the offense plays one on one hero ball with no semblance of guidance and/or play calling.
    not sure of this... when a player starts playing hero ball so best way to fix that is fire the coach? what about trade the player? I think the Pels haven't had a healthy and consistent roster for the past 3 years. yet our record seams to be getting better.
    W L
    2012-13 27 55 .329
    2013-14 34 48 .415
    2014-15 24 22 .522

if you can find ways to win games with your starters being out then i think that reflects on the coach.

A defensive coach with top 10 defensive talent is one of the worst defenses in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    A defensive coach with top 10 defensive talent is one of the worst defenses in the league.
    Over the past 15 games we've actually been a top 10 defense. Having Luke Babbit playing SF in your most used lineup on the year is going to kill defensive numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    Over the past 15 games we've actually been a top 10 defense. Having Luke Babbit playing SF in your most used lineup on the year is going to kill defensive numbers.
    We've also been playing some of the league's worst offenses/teams

Although I have seen some improvement in the eye test.

This here is enough that he should be fired. A team with Jrue, Asik, and AD should never be bottom 10 D.

1-6

We've also been playing some of the league's worst offenses/teams

Although I have seen some improvement in the eye test.
    And before that we had the second hardest schedule in the league. Truth is in the middle

Banned
    IMO, a coach like Thibs would have this team as a top 4 seed. However, not all teams can have great coaches.

Monty is a lame duck, but the key is knowing you can find the right replacement.

If Thibs is such a great coach, why is Chicago ready to run his arse out of town?

Why don't you actually read about their issues with Tibs before you post that. It's the same situation as with Harbaugh. He butts heads with upper management. Niners will miss Harbaugh and Bulls will miss Tibs if they fire him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Liltiger View Post
    If Thibs is such a great coach, why is Chicago ready to run his arse out of town?
    Stupidity. Pride. Ego.

Don't be transparent.

We actually have the #14 defense. It could probably be higher, but injuries and all.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Defense gets better with playing time, guys getting used to each other and knowing where they're supposed to be. It'll continue to get better with continuity. It's crazy to me some of you think that you can just plug in players and have a top 5 D in the league. It's our 3rd year of rebuilding, we're almost there and some of you have already lost patience, go look at what OKC and Memphis were doing in their 3rd rebuilding year. Do I think Monty's a great coach? No, but blaming ALL of our defensive problems on the coach is ridiculous.
    Last edited by joetzeng; 01-31-2015 at 12:52 AM.

I honestly think that if this was 7 years ago and Benson had just bought the team then Monty would have been fired by now. But this Benson, the Benson that is older, arguably losing his mind and embattled with litigation with his own family is probably not interested in uprooting this franchise ATM.

Furthermore I actually fear that in the process of his new found love for New Orleans that has metastasized over the last 5 or so years - after his long career of seemingly looking for every opportunity to leave this state - he has gone full nepotist and that if Monty is gone we are looking down the barrel of a Avery Johnson/Joe Dumars future.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-31-2015 at 01:32 AM.

Someone link me to an article calling Monty a defensive coach. Tired of BS narratives being regurgitated left and right.

Any excuse to start another FIRE MONTY thread....

We have a winning team in the Western Conference, and we have beaten all but one of the WC championship contenders this year. We just beat the Clips without our two most accomplished players.

Give. It. A. Rest.

Quote Originally Posted by NOEngineer View Post

Give. It. A. Rest.
    they will...
    till the next time.
    and once again...

no matter what - as Kings example shows that it might not be the good thing to give the job to the assistant - nobody will fire Monty. 25-22 in great West. some great wins (and terrible loses). and great chemistry with star player.

zero chances...

I was in the Monty's fire-wagon, but at this point of the season he is safe
    till the end of February we have 11 games (8 at home). 4-5 are hard on paper. let's assume 7-4 (hopefully 8-3 or better). so it is 33-26 or better.
    we are in PO hunt

I don't think a win against the Clippers, even while we were undermanned, is enough to stop the fire Monty train. We have also lost to several teams when they were undermanned and we weren't.

Honestly, the only narrative where Monty is safe (without making the playoffs) is if we are a game away from the 8th spot.

Monty and Thibs have one thing in common. They have the same record in the nba finals 0-0
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information