Pelicans Report

Thread: Anthony Davis's defense stacked up against other elite bigs

Anthony Davis's defense stacked up against other elite bigs

I've noticed people here criticize AD's defense - and there is merit to that. He has a long way to go and a lot to learn. But because we watch him way more than any other guy in the league, we also are subject to over scrutiny and observational bias. Here is how AD stacks up against other elite bigs in prevalent and important metrics. Without a doubt, despite his youth, AD has an elite level impact. He still has to master the nuances, but it bothered me when people said was simply average and even below average.

The non-restricted area paint protection is the most obvious area he thrives in. Makes a lot of fun plays.

Totally not AD related but, looking at that Bogut trade (in retrospect) the Warriors got away with grand theft. Bogut and Stephen Jackson for Ellis, Ekpe, and somebody else. Amazing.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2740 View Post
    The non-restricted area paint protection is the most obvious area he thrives in. Makes a lot of fun plays.
    He plays the role of a free safety. I wrote about that earlier this year. But its important to understand that within the context of our defense.

ya the guys on here that say AD isn't a good defender always give me a good laugh.

So AD basically is a better defender in every category than Joakim Noah, former defensive MVP, and Marc Gasol. Ya AD is TRASH on defense... lmao.

Just wondering what is his numbers stacked up to roy hibbert and the serg protector...
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrEtGIuCYAAUHds.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Just wondering what is his numbers stacked up to roy hibbert and the serg protector...
    Serge

Overall: 41.5
    Diff: -5.2
    Rim: 40.1
    Paint (non-RA): 34.5
    Non-paint: 37.3
    Blocks: 2.2
    Steals: 0.4
    DRPM: 3.51
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 01-30-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler View Post
    Hibbert

Overall: 39.1
    Diff: -8.9
    Rim: 41.8
    Paint (non-RA): 41.8
    Non-paint: 36.1
    Blocks: 1.8
    Steals: 0.2
    DRPM: 2.6
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 01-30-2015 at 01:47 PM.

I have Paint(non-RA) at 39.5% for Hibbert, 34.4% for Serge,
    Non-Paint at 36.05% for Hibbert, 37.28 for Ibaka.

I'm not using the NBA.com designations for the zone breakdowns. Pulling data from NBAsavant for the actual ranges.

I think the Asik trade is a poor man's Bogut trade, and that is why I don't want to jettison Asik after only one year. The guy has made a career out of being a defensive player, and now because of one bad season people think he won't work with Davis. It's crazy! Give them time, and maybe a guard or two that won't let their man waltz right into the lane.

HE ONLY 21!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    I have Paint(non-RA) at 39.5% for Hibbert, 34.4% for Serge,
    Non-Paint at 36.05% for Hibbert, 37.28 for Ibaka.

I'm not using the NBA.com designations for the zone breakdowns. Pulling data from NBAsavant for the actual ranges.
    Huh, Yea you're right. I must have messed up the filter or something the first time on the Paint (non-RA). The non-paints I just rounded.

Thread Information