Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management ‘beyond repair'

Exactly. And my point is that they're still relevant and making the playoffs, winning a series, without rose. It's not like they've gone 10 under .500 without rose. They've done better than many many teams with zero injuries. They have the biggest one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTerrapin View Post
    HIS BEST PLAYER HAS BEEN INJURED FOR 2 YEARS WHO THEY BUILT AROUND. Injuries matter. I swear to God new orleans has to have the least knowledgeable nba fanbase. This is why I don't post here. Your coach gets a pass if he makes the playoffs and wins a series without the superstar player who the team is built to play off of. That's how that works.
    You're right. I apologize. I'm just a New Orleanian. All I know about is gumbo and po-boys. I am truly sorry for questioning your infinite basketball knowledge from wherever you reside on planet Earth. The little knowledge that I do have tells me that Thibs coaches in the inferior East and has yet to gain a championship berth. His only real success as a coach came as an assistant. So if where you come from, getting to the playoffs and being regular season king (see Peyton Manning) is the end goal, Thibs is definitely your guy. But that's just me and you know little us New Orleanians know about basketball.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Carlisle is a better coach. Will not dispute that. I love Carlisle. I love how he morphs his style of coaching to fit his personnel. But Spoelstra is easily debatable as well as Avery friggin Johnson. Doc is a really good coach too. Even still, if he's ranked 4th in the league instead of 3rd, does that make him worthy of getting fired? Absolutely not.
    Yeah, I am with you on Spoelstra, and we are now seeing what lacking the best player in the world (while still having 2 capable stars...well 1 now) can do to his system.

Avery Johnson, I would set him as the floor on who you would want to hire as your HC.

I too am underwhelmed with Doc. He has a team full of talent, and has been there going on two years, and what does he have to show for it? Tied for the third best rank in the West.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If we are not going to give Tibs a pass based on the injury to Rose, there should be a mob calling for Monty to be fired yesterday.
    I already brought up that point earlier in this discussion. I just phrased it a little differently

I'm born and raised in new orleans. Just bc I say "new orleans" in a sentence, that doesn't mean I'm not from here.

It's his 4th year as a head coach, fuz. He's had one year with a full healthy rose and they went 62-20 and made conference finals while he was like 21 or 22. The sole reason his name is being brought up right now is bc he butts heads with upper management. Same as Harbaugh. And the bulls will regret getting rid of him if they do, same as the niners definitely will

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    I already brought up that point earlier in this discussion. I just phrased it a little differently
    I can only imagine how bad we would be without AD. Those losses to the Knicks and Philly would have been expected.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I can only imagine how bad we would be without AD. Those losses to the Knicks and Philly would have been expected.
    No need to imagine. We've seen that movie before. I love AD but you can put him down for around 70 games a year +/- 1 or 2. His durability is the only thing can derail him from greatness (knocks on wood).

It's his 4th year as a head coach, fuz. He's had one year with a full healthy rose and they went 62-20 and made conference finals while he was like 21 or 22. The sole reason his name is being brought up right now is bc he butts heads with upper management. Same as Harbaugh. And the bulls will regret getting rid of him if they do, same as the niners definitely will
    I get that. In all honesty, Rose had that 1 good year and ever since the injury, he's been terrible. He was something like 9-27 last night. I also think Rose is overrated but that's another story. My beef is that he's getting an injury pass for reasons that our own coach doesn't get a pass for. The Pels are an injury prone team in the toughest division. Monty would have this team in the playoffs if we were in the East. I feel like the media hypes a guy up and everyone runs with it. Ask yourself. If we had a team that kills it in the regular season every year and fizzles out in the playoffs, would you be ok with that? Denver (Broncos) just fired their for the same reason basically.

Agree about rose post injury. But as far as they hypothetical, I'd absolutely be happy with being regular season studs and making the playoffs without our best player. Your analogies don't make sense bc they're including the team's best player; the most important part of the argument

I'm not even going to argue about Tevaris being in the same league as Thibs as far as coaches go. He cant even hold Tom's jockstrap in that regard. People can go on and on about how well AD has developed under Tevaris buy the truth is Ad is a special once in a lifetime sought of player.

Tom Thibodeau plays a brand og basketball. He commands his team's style of play. He is a defensive genius. He is an exceptional strategist. He's teams have been as injury riddled as much as any other team. But he never uses that as an excuse to loosing. In order to get to the playoffs and secure home court advantage you have to win as many games in the regular season. That is why he is a top 3 coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Still waiting on any factual data driven evidence that Thibs' is a top 3 coach. All I see is the typical message board bluster giving his guy all the credit for the good things, and zero criticism for his lack of real success and obvious deficiencies as a head coach.

Word of advice, if you want to actually engage in productive discussions on sports it helps to bring a more balanced approach. Try to be more objective about your heroes if you want to be credible. Never seen anyone talk this long about Tom Thibodeau while dodging the legit criticisms. Even die hard Bulls fans will gladly acknowledge his shortcomings, probably have a better discussion about him on a Bulls board.

But have fun hammering your keyboard hyping a guy that's lost his (veteran) locker room and has never won anything except a screaming contest.
    So who is your opinion are the top 5 coaches in the NBA?

Thread Information