Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Austin Rivers hitting his stride

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It would be fair to say you should give Monty as much credit in AD's development as Paul Silas and Mike Brown got in Lebron's development.
    This^. I would add, how much credit goes to Doug Collins for MJ's development?

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    This brings me to a question I have wanted to ask people forever - Do people think that AD would have been this great this quick for all 30 teams? Would he have been this if Charlotte or Sacto gets the #1 pick?

Our staff gets zero credit for AD it seems like, so I think I know the answer, but does everyone feel this way? Would he have been this good or better no matter where he was drafted?
    I think the system the team is using is allowing AD to shine a lot. The staff should get more credit than they do, but I guess it's easier to talk about the bad things than about what they are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by uvalenti View Post
    I think the system the team is using is allowing AD to shine a lot. The staff should get more credit than they do, but I guess it's easier to talk about the bad things than about what they are doing well.
    But who is interested in spending time looking for a needle in a stack of needles?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Rivers goes on to say he felt he was a solid NBA player in NOLA, he still needed to improve. He should be immediately drug tested...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's the brutal truth that all of our success is in spite of our coach, all of our failures are because of him.

Tavares had a rep for being a player development guy. But you'll have guys going back and trying to retroactively shoot even that down because it suits their particular anti-Tavares tip they might be on.

I'm much the same with Les Miles, but at least I can admit that Miles has his team's full support. They play hard for him and he's willing to bank on their talent to get us out of the tough jams he often puts us in.
    Who is tavares?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Incoming 40/10/10 game by Rivers Friday when we play the Clippers.:P

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    Who is tavares?
    Tavares Montgomery "Monty" Williams, Jr.

Monty did ok with Qpon? Sent him on his way and he came back!... That's TRUE love.
    AAAALLLLL part of Qpon's "development". We are all witness to the genius.
    Just watch when Rivers returns from his pilgrimage to the Clippers.

championship

Obviously this jab from Rivers stings a little, but if he feels he is more comfortable so be it. If he keeps working his butt off, I will be happy to see him truly find his stride for the rest of his career.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Bee-Fense's Avatar
    Maybe Monty would've had more of an opportunity to develop young talent if we actually had 1st round talents. Outside of Rivers, Davis and Pondexter, I can't remember Monty having any young guys to develop that had any real potential. A few 2nd rounders, yes, but you can't fault a guy for not getting much from 2nd rounders. We've traded away our opportunity to see whether or not Monty is capable of developing talent effectively.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Coaching is one of those things no one will ever really know about. We have no idea if Austin was held back cause in all honesty, none of us know the system and the things they're taught to never do. The next revolution in sports will be when fans are allowed to listen to every word a coach says real-time or on a channel that's a minute behind so as to not give anyone a real-time advantage.

As for AD, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be this good anywhere else. From the moment that guy stepped onto the court, you could just see that something was different. Props to our coaching staff though cause AD has improved each year and as I stated earlier, I have no idea.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Austin's comments reveal a common belief people have about Monty. I personally know someone who is directly connected to Jrue Holiday and have heard multiple complaints about how Monty doesn't let holiday play his own game. I don't know exactly what this means but I think the criticism has something to do with coach not trusting the players.... I can tell you that these comments I've heard are consistent with Austin's remark.

It wouldn't be smart to average a wave by 2/3 of it's first cycle. The performance of an athlete is always oscillating over the course of a season. Just as our 4 game winning streak didn't mean we were the best team in the league, this streak of barely above average performance means absolutely nothing. If he keeps it up for the rest of the season into the playoffs, then there might be meaning to it. The meaning to his improvement at that time might be as simple as being more confident on a team that didn't see him shoot below 40% his rookie year.

Trying to get some meaning out of a 5 game average is just stupid though. If you're questioning Monty because of Austin's "stride", you were just waiting to slander him anyway.

There's nothing more to discuss about it at this point.

SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! SKOL! Imnos 2's Avatar
    I think there is a balance that has to be defined when it comes to "letting guys play their game." Probably one of single most detrimental things that hurt Carmelo's success, is too many coaches let HIS play his game. I personally think if given the chance Kwai Leonard would average 27 & 10. The system they run utilizes his skill to the benefit of the team. With that being said Pop lets Leonard play a little more free in the playoffs. So, in my opinion, what remains to be seen is if this team was firmly in a position to make the playoffs, would Monty allow for more freedom. Is he putting players in boxes to win now and then let them out of the cage at the right moment.

Another thought, I agree that when Jrue is a major factor offensively, both AD and Ryan tend to play better. If those three have big games, we will win more often than not. And if one of them is struggling, Eric and Reke can step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's the brutal truth that all of our success is in spite of our coach, all of our failures are because of him.

Tavares had a rep for being a player development guy. But you'll have guys going back and trying to retroactively shoot even that down because it suits their particular anti-Tavares tip they might be on.

I'm much the same with Les Miles, but at least I can admit that Miles has his team's full support. They play hard for him and he's willing to bank on their talent to get us out of the tough jams he often puts us in.
    Not really. It's more of a brutal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I don't know if people know — I dislocated my pinkie finger. And [Tyreke] told me, 'You wanna go home or you wanna be here?' I want to be here. And he said, 'All right, then go tape it up and let's play. Let's go. We not stoppin' at no stores. Straight gas. That's what we do, just keep going.'"

http://thebasketbawlblog.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post
    Incoming 40/10/10 game by Rivers Friday when we play the Clippers.:P
    40 min, 10 pts, 10 turnovers

Quote Originally Posted by uvalenti View Post
    Oh, so you know what the system is? Please enlighten....

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-Fense View Post
    Maybe Monty would've had more of an opportunity to develop young talent if we actually had 1st round talents. Outside of Rivers, Davis and Pondexter, I can't remember Monty having any young guys to develop that had any real potential. A few 2nd rounders, yes, but you can't fault a guy for not getting much from 2nd rounders. We've traded away our opportunity to see whether or not Monty is capable of developing talent effectively.
    So only 1st rounders can be developed and not the actual 14 players on your roster? You claim that we don't have any young guys to develop, but the BIGGEST MONTY DEFENSE is that our team is too young....

So, how many 1st rounders currently make up our team? I believe that answer is 12. Is the team not supposed to develop EVERY player EVERY year? Or can only rookies learn new tricks?
    Last edited by Bongzilla; 01-30-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Hurray for blatant falsehoods
    Curious as to what disproves this? Young guys come in and right out. Or stay and do nothing.

Since this is a blatant falsehood, you give me a list of guys he's developed and made into better players, I'll give you a list of ones he hasn't and we can see just how blatant it is.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinNO View Post
    Curious as to what disproves this? Young guys come in and right out. Or stay and do nothing.

Since this is a blatant falsehood, you give me a list of guys he's developed and made into better players, I'll give you a list of ones he hasn't and we can see just how blatant it is.
    I think this staff has developed more than they have failed to develop, but I am interested to see the two lists others come up with and then I will add/subtract.

Put em out there, both sides.
    @mcnamara247

After seeing the headline I went and looked at Austin's numbers since going to LAC and was totally confused. If that is hitting your stride then he was always hitting his stride here. He comes off as someone who hangs his hat too much on what he was able to do in high school and college. That guy who thinks he is better than everyone on the playground because he played some ball back in the day. How often do you hear good/serviceable NBA players talk about how good they were in college let alone high school?

I think this staff has developed more than they have failed to develop, but I am interested to see the two lists others come up with and then I will add/subtract.

Start up the list then.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I don't doubt Monty can develop players and help them in their overall game. I also don't doubt Monty's knowledge and skill as a coach. I do doubt his ability to trust his players and let them play to their full potential. Jrue Holiday is much better than he appears. He's got big time star pg abilities. He's a players coach. He's extremely smart and Monty is not loosening the grips on these players. Part of the Tyreke drama is that Reke doesn't respond as well to coach's need to control everything. More often than not Jrue like Rivers hesitates on the court. Can y'all see this? It's obvious if you think about it. Anderson and Davis are the only players that rarely hesitate. When Reke plays his game he is awesome. All of this is obvious. Just pay more attention to body language the next several games.

BTW as I mentioned before. I got this information from a friend who knows Holiday very well he's acquainted with a few of these players. Does this prove anything? Well it's not a made up story I know that much.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I don't doubt Monty can develop players and help them in their overall game. I also don't doubt Monty's knowledge and skill as a coach. I do doubt his ability to trust his players and let them play to their full potential. Jrue Holiday is much better than he appears. He's got big time star pg abilities. He's a players coach. He's extremely smart and Monty is not loosening the grips on these players. Part of the Tyreke drama is that Reke doesn't respond as well to coach's need to control everything. More often than not Jrue like Rivers hesitates on the court. Can y'all see this? It's obvious if you think about it. Anderson and Davis are the only players that rarely hesitate. When Reke plays his game he is awesome. All of this is obvious. Just pay more attention to body language the next several games.

BTW as I mentioned before. I got this information from a friend who knows Holiday very well he's acquainted with a few of these players. Does this prove anything? Well it's not a made up story I know that much.
    Every player on every team feels like the coach is holding them back. They all want more shots, more freedom and less responsibility. I have watched a lot of Pels basketball and I have no idea what you are talking about. You are seeing what you want to see looking the eyes of fan.

Developed:
    Grevis Vasquez
    Quincy Pondexter
    Jason Smith
    Anthony Davis
    Lance Thomas?
    Marco Belinelli?

Failed to Develop:
    Austin Rivers
    Al-Farouq Aminu
    Darius Miller
    Xavier Henry?

Tough list to construct. Didn't think Gordon warranted being listed due to his injury history. Ryno and Jrue are somewhat par imo. Brian Roberts is another name that could be considered. Feel free to criticize. But realize that it's difficult to distinguish progression/regression by virtue of the player himself vs. coaching. Plus unexpected contributions may result from increased playing time/opportunities versus player development, i.e. Marco Belinelli.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-30-2015 at 10:43 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information