Pelicans Report

Thread: Moves before the deadline ?

Moves before the deadline ?

I really believe Dell has at least one more move before the deadline. I'm predicting it'll be a backup PG and a backup big...

I agree that someone will get moved, but idk who.

just need a backup PG

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    just need a backup PG
    Reke?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Reke?
    Reke can't match up with the smaller quick guards consistently. Rivers played that role on the second unit. Reke will wear down sooner than later if he has to continue playing PG on both ends of the floor....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Reke can't match up with the smaller quick guards consistently. Rivers played that role on the second unit. Reke will wear down sooner than later if he has to continue playing PG on both ends of the floor....
    I see people consistently making some version of this argument but I see no evidence to back that up this idea that we're at a huge disadvantage when Tyreke plays PG. Those small quicker PGs get destroyed by Tyreke when they have to matchup against his size, when we're on offense and on defense we switch so much and have Asik and AD helping out, that I have yet to see us get roasted because Tyreke is playing PG.

If Jrue Holiday really is our 2nd best player, just getting him back will solve our PG issues.

As to what we need, I think we need a SG that can relieve Gordon and nail 3 pointers. Anthony Morrow would fit in perfectly. But so would a guy like Gary Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Reke?
    Nah... just somebody better than Wolters/Jimmer.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I see people consistently making some version of this argument but I see no evidence to back that up this idea that we're at a huge disadvantage when Tyreke plays PG. Those small quicker PGs get destroyed by Tyreke when they have to matchup against his size, when we're on offense and on defense we switch so much and have Asik and AD helping out, that I have yet to see us get roasted because Tyreke is playing PG.

If Jrue Holiday really is our 2nd best player, just getting him back will solve our PG issues.

As to what we need, I think we need a SG that can relieve Gordon and nail 3 pointers. Anthony Morrow would fit in perfectly. But so would a guy like Gary Neal.
    Yes on offense, but what about defense. You can't expect Asik and rotations to compensate for bad match ups. Good PG will break defenses down. We don't have anybody other than Jrue, who can stay in front of a point guard.....Reke is just to big to consistently do this IMO
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 01-29-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintPelican225 View Post
    Yes on offense, but what about defense. You can't expect Asik and rotations to compensate for bad match ups. Good PG will break defenses down. We don't have anybody other than Jrue, who can stay in front of a point guard.....Reke is just to big to consistently do this IMO
    But... I mean... you just did it again.

I'm just waiting for someone to show me how Tyreke has been such a liability on defense against PGs that it results in a net negative. Last night Ty Lawson, one of the quicker PGs in the league, was 2-12 for 5 pts.

Just saying "what about defense" and not providing evidence that what you expect the result to be is actually the result, isn't a good argument. Our guys switch everything. Just because you bring in a smaller PG, 1) doesn't mean he's a good defender. See Jimmer/Wolters. 2) Doesn't mean he's going to stick with quicker PGs on defense

We need someone who can spot up and hit a 3 pointer for games like last night. Anderson can't be our only consistent 3pt threat, and Gordon is too streaky.

If we make a move it will be a minor one. I don't see us moving Gordon, Reke, or Ryno. It will most likely be an Ajinca, Withey, Jimmer, Salmons type who can get moved for another underwhelming player, in hopes that a change of scenery results in an uptick from that position. Moving any of the three players mentioned would be a disaster. Those are guys that the next regime can keep and utilize, or move and acquire key pieces for next years team. I would be really sad if we moved Gordon/Reke/Ryno for cap space, or some flashy name player who isn't living up to his contract. It wouldn't make sense for the now or then.

Little moves are what we want.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

my dream: bring morrow back
    never assume

i want us to try and snag jeremy lamb

I'd love us to do something to bolster our three point shooting. If Ryan is off, we drop off the table. We really need another shooter for the second unit to supplement Ryno since it seems that Jimmer will not be getting that job and Luke is buried on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jgman View Post
    my dream: bring morrow back
    Is he still getting minutes with Waiters in OKC? Salmons, Withey, and a 2nd works on trade machine, but I doubt OKC sees any value in moving him for that.

Waiting for Rubio to return. ..then we can make a deal for Mo

Sign and trade Wolters and Salmons to Minny for Mo?
    I read somewhere that they really liked him.

Is Mo Williams a great defender?

Is Mo Williams a great defender?
    Good enough.....He's a savvy vet, who knows all the tricks of the trade. He wouldn't have to do a whole lot for us. Alternate with Reke running the point and hit open shots.

But... I mean... you just did it again.

I'm just waiting for someone to show me how Tyreke has been such a liability on defense against PGs that it results in a net negative. Last night Ty Lawson, one of the quicker PGs in the league, was 2-12 for 5 pts.

Just saying "what about defense" and not providing evidence that what you expect the result to be is actually the result, isn't a good argument. Our guys switch everything. Just because you bring in a smaller PG, 1) doesn't mean he's a good defender. See Jimmer/Wolters. 2) Doesn't mean he's going to stick with quicker PGs on defense

We need someone who can spot up and hit a 3 pointer for games like last night. Anderson can't be our only consistent 3pt threat, and Gordon is too streaky.
    Yes, Lawson was just 2-12, but he had 13 assist.....Reke was your PG last night he had 2.....Pelicans need a PG that can play with Reke who can shoot, you could kill two birds with one stone..Besides, Gordon guarded Lawson last night.
    Last edited by SaintPelican225; 01-29-2015 at 05:27 PM.

We need an upgrade to Cunningham that can shoot. He should be more of a end of the bench guy who comes in when we need D and hustle

Quote Originally Posted by speedyG View Post
    when we need D and hustle
    he can't play 48 minutes ;P

Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    he can't play 48 minutes ;P
    QPon is better than him. Ideally we could find a starter and have Qpon as the backup, Cunningham in a smaller role

QPon is better than him. Ideally we could find a starter and have Qpon as the backup, Cunningham in a smaller role
    was just having a laugh, as we generally need D and hustle all game with how this team plays.

I agree. ..If we sign another SF in free agency, what happens to Dante ?

Thread Information